Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Well.... Today was a doozy!

I started out this morning by getting up off the toilet to head toward the shower only to find my knee hyperflexing, then when I tried to correct it, the kneecap shot to the outside and down I went crashing my right ankle and knee into the tile! :gaah: When my Hubby heard me scream, He came in fast, He did not ask me if I was ok like last time. We are still at the cabin, so I have small toilets. Next weekend my hubby is installing the taller toilets, the grab bars, and other safety features I have at home. The VMO isn't steady enough (yet) to depend on it by itself and I can't wear my brace in the shower! :heehee:

I must have a very deep bruise in the ankle, because I could have sworn I cracked it, but it didn't swell or bruise, it just hurts like crazy!

Oh, I almost forgot the great news! During the fall, the tile knocked my kneecap back into perfect position! It doesn't hurt! Just the ankle! LOL :rotfl:
 
Thought I would post a picture of what it looks like to have a displaced kneecap! They put mine back in today, only to watch it slide back out! The lump on the right side of my knee is where my kneecap is currently residing! :headbang:


Josephine, Orthodoc, Jamie, Pumpkln, have any of you seen a displaced kneecap that would could be put back into place, only to moves shift again?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 176
Natalie, strangely enough, it is my ankle I twisted that bothers me more! The knee a little. Strange huh! :scary:
 
Weird isn't it you could have referred pain I get a lot of pain in my calf ankle and hip area an I'm sure it's all coming from the knee.
What do you do when the knee cap comes off?Does it swell like a balloon mine does and I have to rest an when the swelling reduces it moves back.
 
Hi Sonja,
Yes, I have seen this, in a young teenager. Different situation so really cannot compare to you, it kept dislocating, and surgery ended up being the answer for this young teenager.
Dr Maale will be seeing you and he has all the information to make the best decision with you.
Sending healing prayers.
 
Thanks for the replies! Well, Chris put the kneecap back in place this morning and it stayed! :happydance: The VMO is responding, and I am so excited! I can see light again, and can confidently talk to Dr. Maale about continuing PT instead of surgery! :happydance:
 
Sonja, Please don't be to stubborn and not listen to what Dr Maale has to say. I know you don't want more surgery and God knows I don't want you to have to have more, but he knows what is the best. And you might want to slow down just a bit, you have your goals I know and you will reach them maybe just a bit slower in time. You cannot over do at the risk of your knee that shoukd come first. Now go be a good "shy" little girl and do the right thing. Hoping for the best for your appointment my dear friend. We'll talk soon.
 
I am sorry to hear of your problem with the patella. Yes, I have seen recurrent instability of a patella after dislocation. I hope you can rebuild the VMO to get good control of it and avoid surgical management.

Orthodoc
 
Oh dear, Sonja! Sorry to hear about your fall.:sad:
Will you still be able to make your trip to Nashville next month? It would be awful but you need to take care of that knee!:console2:
 
:happydance: Oh, it would take a MAJOR problem :wink: , to keep me away from Nashville! I will be there and I look forward to meeting you!
 
karmigirl, I promise I will listen to Dr. Maale! After all he has given me a fantastic revision that has been through all kinds of things, yet it never dislocates! :happydance: As everyone knows, I have put it to the test on a all too frequent basis! What happened today when Chris worked with me gave me a lot of hope though! The VMO responded and kept the kneecap in place. The swelling from the fall and from the raking leaves without the brace incident combined to cause pressure under the kneecap pushing it to the side! The swelling is down tremendously in it! :happydance:

Now, the ankle needs to stop swelling and everything will be "great"! :yahoo:

I am excited, I am back! I am ready to get on with the "best of my life!" :happydance:
 
When do you see Dr Maale next Sonja?Good luck xx

Natalie I see Dr. Maale tomorrow. Amy, his MA has already called me back and they have the full story, so I am sure Dr. Maale and I will have a "nice little chat!" :wink: Actually it will go like this... Sonja, what were you thinking when you "decided" to rake leaves without your brace! That was when the swelling started. My reply will be something like this, "well it was at the end of the day and I couldn't see any harm sweeping leaves off the patio. Who knew that I would step on a end cap that was being covered by the leaves!" Dr. Maale will just look at me because he knows with a question will come a perfectly "logical" explanation "at least in my mind!" :rotfl:

Exam begins, he discusses notes from PT, and then sends me for MRI. Mentions surgery, I mention continuing PT, we both grin, and I leave with my PT slip in my hand! That's how I envision it anyway! :wink: :heehee:
 
I love your consistently positive attitude! Good luck.

Orthodoc

Orthodoc

Thank you so much! That means a lot especially coming from an OS! :yes!: When I started this journey over 3 years ago, I had a wonderful OS who was willing to take a chance on me. Having six previous MRSA infections, and weighing 435 pounds were huge risk factors. He cared enough to go ahead anyway. He asked me if I wanted to live a life of quality or merely quantity. I am so fortunate that I found him to start me off on my journey! I have lost 155 pounds so far and counting! I love life, exercising, and I have a whole new outlook without the jarring bone on bone pain that used to rule my life! My wish is that all OS surgeons would look at a person's resolve instead of weight. A lot cannot move enough to lose weight. Whoever has you for an OS is fortunate, you listen, and that makes a world of difference!
 
Sonja, you kill me! It's a good job Dr Maale understands you and goes along with your philosophies. A lesser man would be :hairpulling:
 
Back
Top Bottom