Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

You have a compelling story, but I read this forum enough to know your caring for others shines readily throughout your posts.
 
Thank you so much! I have been given so much, so I try to do the same in return! Thank you for reminding me to stay motivated even when the kneecap has setbacks! I am on a mission, and I plan on reaching my goal! :happydance:
 
Hi,Congratulations on having the most watched thread! I'm one who has been watching your thread .Really, I should say watching your progress ! You have been an inspiration for me and many others. :thankyou:
 
My way, I am so glad that I have been an inspiration! There have been so many before me who inspired me to reach for my dreams, and find my true calling in life! Although some of them have gone on to lead their lives, they were here for me when I needed them most! I liken it to "Paying it Forward!" :happydance:
 
Hi, I like your attitude and your outlook. I'm usually upbeat but there are times I get down. It's reading stories like yours that give me my much needed kick in the pants and off I go again!:bow:
 
Everyone has "off" days! That is what is so wonderful about BoneSmart! You will find caring, compassionate people who will listen to you! When I am down, there is always someone there to bring me back up. I can't say the same for other sites. I love BoneSmart because we are a big "family!" When we hurt, cry, laugh, have setbacks, make progress; no matter what, there is always someone there waiting to support us!
 
Well..... Today I have some Earth Shattering News! :happydance: My VMO responded in a steady beat during the Russian Stem today! It was the first time it has been as active as this! It had quivered slightly in the past, but today, we saw the start of something fantastic! :happydance: When I was doing right leg lifts with assist, she was tapping the VMO and could feel it trying to engage! What we know is a. I don't have a torn patella tendon, and b. no surgery in my future for the VMO! It is starting to work on it's own and I am so happy I could jump for joy, but will settle for :dancy: dancing instead!
 
What wonderful news, Sonja!!! I hope this is just the start of those good reports, hon. You've certainly earned the right to good news. And congratulations on your continuing weight loss. That is such a tremendous accomplishment. Bigh (((((HUGS))))) to you!!!
 
I will keep the progress going trailspud! There is no stopping me now! I had been waiting since May 7th to get a sign of "real" life out of the VMO, and today is the beginning of the rest of my healing! :happydance: I was even able to do full sit-squats and I could feel the VMO engaging! Life is great! Tomorrow, I work out with Feisty Felice, and she has been working on upper body, and conditioning, but also specific exercises that target the VMO! With Valerie and Felice "tag teaming" :heehee: , my VMO doesn't get the choice to be lazy anymore! :yahoo:
 
Wonderful news Sonja. I remember well when mine was dead and then the physio's E-stym got the first sign of a twitch from it and it just got stronger and stronger. I bought a cheap e-stym on an auction website for $25 and it really helped get it active.
 
The vasteus medial (VMO) is a tricky, but important muscle in the knee 's functioning. I made a lot of progress after my RTKR. In the gym, cardio is what I like to do mostly. I hit a few personal records before my LTKR two weeks ago (60 mts...work rate measured by calories at a set body weight). However, on the quad extension machine, which I do in a shorter arc fashion (last 30-40 degrees)...my replaced right knee was still weaker than before surgery. I was making progress and getting stronger, but it was a slower row to hoe.

Now that your zombie vasteus medial is is back, I'll bet it makes progress that helps you in a number of exercises. Momentum should be your friend.
 
:yay: Sonja, I am so happy that your VMO is finally starting to behave my friend! :egypdance: You certainly done need any more worries!
Stay well kiddo and I wish you continued progress kiddo! :friends:
 
Yes, trailspud,

When we did the sit squats, I was actually feeling the muscle engage also. I went lower than I have in the past and there wasn't any pain! Now today, I am sore, but that is a great feeling, because it means that little rascal actually did it's share! :happydance:
 
Posted my first post-LTKR gym workout. It felt very good...better the longer it went. Looking forward to your next report.
 
2 weeks, 2 days post-TKR...started easy and just went for less than an hour total. I'm not a big lifter, but rather cardio focused. I got in very good shape before the TKR so starting easy on the seated arm cycle was not hard...could have gone longer, but did just enough to feel like it was a light workout. I did just a few machines (4 different ones...upper body/core about 5mts each). If I get tired later, I'll just sleep which is what I do anyway.
 
If anyone is interested in a high intensity low knee strain workout here it is,

15 minutes on the bike 70 rpm
5 minutes arm bike all as fast as you can
30 sec for 30 sec back at the highest setting of 120
30 sec for 30 sec back at 90
1 min for 1 minute back at 60
30 sec for 30 back on 20 or the hardest setting- differs in gyms

pushups as low as you can stand for the bar to be do 10 quick but controlled, then 5 plank which is go down and hold for 5 sec and come back up.

Combat Ropes (look up fitness ropes on You tube for an idea! :))
1 minute with knees slightly bent and an end in each hand raise the rope one at a time and slap the ground with it alternating arms as fast as you can.
Pick up 20 pound barbell do 20 out and up in the air.
1 minute with combat rope one end in each hand and do baby chops while moving your feet and always keeping your stomach tight as throughout any exercise!
Pick up two dumbbells 7 lbs and do arm circles 30 sec forward and 30 sec backwards
Take 30 second break do all of those again take 30 sec break and repeat again

Elliptical 8 minutes- moderate pace first 30 sec, then fast last 30 sec. alternating until minute 5. Then do one minute fast, and then do 30 sec slow. then the rest will be fast!

Next, comes core work. Take a 10 lb medicine ball and hold it over your head. Don't lay down all the way. Keep stomach tight and do 50 crunches.
10 pound medicine ball above head and when you come up twist to the side with it to work on the " love handles" 50 times
Regular situps 50 times
repeat each in the circuit 3 times

Cool down
Bike 12 minutes at 75 rpm
 
Good mix of upper/lower/core work. Not everyone has a gym nor can all do your weight levels, but I think you inspire a number of folks on this forum. Everyone can do something. Mixing cardio and resistance training and hitting the whole body is something that can be done in home. I suggest a dumbbell bench with light weights (dumb bells and kettle bells) and some resistance bands. You can very easily and quickly move from one lift to another. Mixing walking, biking indoors/outdoors and calisthenics with the bench work...just like those Insanity or Px90 infomercials...at one's own level.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom