Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still working on ROM

Hi Flashcat.
I know you go back for a re-check on the area under observation next week. How is it looking to you?
Did you start PT this week...if so, how did it go for you?
Hope you have a nice day!
@Flashcat
 
I started regular PT Monday and today I saw the neuromuscular therapist I’ve seen for years for Scleroderma issues. He really worked the muscles in the leg and hips etc to help loosen up the knee. He recommended I skip ice today and let the muscles rest and heal from the workout without icing them up. We got to about an 85 degree bend-it was 57 degrees Monday at the first PT (cold/no warm up or anything))Tomorrow I see the reg PT people again and they will have no mercy. I see the Doctor/PA Monday to check my progress overall including the infection area. It’s still healing after all this time but it has a scab that looks about finished doing its job. I hope! So they’ll fuss about the bend but I hope they discharge me anyway. I’ll keep doing PT as long as I am covered! Thank you Layla!
 
Tomorrow I see the reg PT people again and they will have no mercy.
I am so sorry you are dealing with this situation. This "have no mercy" attitude is not acceptable. As someone else said, they work for you. It's your body and only you know what you are feeling.

They can ADVISE or SUGGEST but they cannot FORCE you to do anything that causes you pain. If this PT team does not understand how to properly help someone recovering from joint replacement surgery, you have every right to fire them and either find a different practice or do PT on your own.

Please don't let anyone push you into pain or make you feel like you are failing.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Tomorrow I see the reg PT people again and they will have no mercy
You can let them know you're there to work on your recovery, but not comfortable being pushed to pain. Discomfort, maybe. Pain...No.

Good news on the healing of the infection. I hope you have a nice visit with the OS on Monday and get the
"all clear!"

If they fuss about your bend at your post op, you can remind them that you understand the importance and you're working on it daily. Healing takes time and the slow and easy approach will help you avoid setbacks. Stay active enough, and consistent, and you'll get to where you want to be. :yes: :thumb:
Best wishes always!
 
Thanks everyone! All of your comments and support help me each and every time! I had a good session with the neuromuscular therapist today! Painful afterward, but I trust him and he checks in with me each move! He basically loosens the muscles, fascia & everything around the knee and helps stretch tight muscles needed for bending the knee. He wants me to do regular outpatient PT in addition to seeing him because they have expertise specific to tkr that he doesn’t have.
 
Your neuromuscular therapist sounds like a keeper. He's doing what my PT calls "Total Body Therapy." I think you will find that his work will help you much more than doing a bunch of exercises -- at least during this early phase of recovery.

Best wishes, @Flashcat.
 
Update: I’m now doing regular outpatient PT 3x a week. I’ll see the neuromuscular therapist a couple times a month as well! The therapist is very patient and gentle. I had him once for a foot problem and got lucky to see him again. He’s not measuring my bend constantly and he teaches as he going along. I’m beginning week 9 today! I feel good about the progress this far, though I’m behind according to most. I see the doctor tomorrow for follow up!
 
Excellent update. I’m glad you have such a good therapist on your team. Your successful recovery will be helped by not rushing your recovery.
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday, Flashcat,
Your follow up was one week ago today, how did it go...if you don't mind sharing? Is 3x a week PT still working well for you? I hope so, if not you can always slow it down. Wishing you a good week! Hope to hear from you soon!
@Flashcat
 
Sorry I’ve been missing in action!!I have still pT 3x a week and a couple days each month I’m trying to see the neuromuscular therapist who works on the soft tissues and fachcia. I saw him this morning. The doc/PA visit last week was pretty good. The PA said my ROM is not ideal but seemed to be ok with my plan to proceed. I still cannot swim until the infection area is completely healed-it’s close. I think water exercises will help a lot! I see him again in 5 weeks. I can’t remember what the name of the process the therapist used today but he sure helped me! Swelling went down and I walked out with proper gate :SUNsmile:
 
Might the treatment have been pressure point therapy? This is where the therapist probes around and locates small areas of soft tissue that are tight. Fingertip pressure is applied for a short span of time to release the muscle fibers. It can have the result you’re describing.
 
He used a metal tool to do a scraping motion on the legs to get the fluid out of trapped areas and smooth out the crumpley feeling adhesions in the back of the legs. He even uses a giant buffer that he applies all over my feet and legs. We had an 1 1/2 appointment! I’m elevated and icing now. I’ll find the specific name in a while. Sorry I can’t remember it atm.
 
Yes that’s it!! Thank you! He also used another technique I can’t remember! Air-head here! :loll:
 
No, your not an air head. Your body is healing, you've had exertion with your leg having been worked on and your tired.

I've had the Graston Technique done several times. The first time I will say I was not a fan at all. I was talked into having it done a second time and it was a totally different experience. For me the difference was the massaging lotion that was used. They needed to used more and it was okay.

Rest up and keep up the good work.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom