TKR Still working on ROM

My PT has also uses the Graston Technique (the one hands-on thing he does that I absolutely hate). :groan:

But It does make my leg and foot feel so much better afterwards.
 
It does it feels like it evens things out. All the sticky places calm down- a while afterward! I iced and elevated afterwards. I feel really lucky to have found this therapist!
 
No, your not an air head. Your body is healing, you've had exertion with your leg having been worked on and your tired.

I've had the Graston Technique done several times. The first time I will say I was not a fan at all. I was talked into having it done a second time and it was a totally different experience. For me the difference was the massaging lotion that was used. They needed to used more and it was okay.

Rest up and keep up the good work.
Gua sha is the other name for the Graston method
 
I’ve been having PT 3x a week and neuromuscular therapy every 3 weeks now! He focuses on hip stretching, and soft tissue work. I’m still recovering and ROM isn’t great but I’m not worried since I know I’m not going to have an MUA! I’m getting better each week. I’m driving anywhere I need to go. I signed up for some you tube exercises for knee bending but I haven’t done them much yet. I’m going jump into those, or a few of them, this weekend. I’m pretty sure my Bonesmart insider status is coming to an end soon. I have been helped so much by all of you! When I was at my lowest I found you! You comforted me that all would be okay and boosted my confidence to communicate assertively with my providers!
Thank you so very much!
I spread the word about your site whenever I can. There are others out here that I have run into that you have touched positively :flwrysmile:
 
Aww, thanks for the kind sentiment in regard to the site, Flashcat. I hope this isn't goodbye.
Please continue posting updates on your thread. We'd love to follow your progress and cheer on your milestones.

I'm glad you're allowing your body to heal, your ROM to slowly increase and enjoying the progress you're making. It is wonderful to regain that independence behind the wheel. Yes! :driver:
Thanks for spreading the word about BoneSmart when you're able. It is greatly appreciated as is your support.
A lovely weekend to you!
@Flashcat
 
Your current Insiders Club membership runs through August 22nd, so you’ll have that status for at least that long. It will renew automatically on that date, so if your desire is to revert back to a Basic Member status, you’ll need to go to your profile and cancel the renewal.

Thank you so much for the kind words. We so appreciate the good feedback and knowing that we’ve helped you. That’s truly our passion….to be there for the joint replacement patients who need support and information.
 
I was at 74 degrees at PT Friday! I was worried about that all weekend. It’s amazing how things are in the USA!! MUA is the answer that and a revision! I see no reason to do either! I only started PT the 1st of July and my bend was 57. And I see the neuromuscular therapist about 2x a month. I know I’ll continue to improve. It’s daunting to always feel that pressure to comply with the favored treatment plan. Another odd thing I’ve learned is about taking antibiotics for dental visits. I chipped a tooth and the dentist had me take 2000mg of amoxicillin before he’d see me. I read that is not recommended by all surgeons anymore. So I don’t really know! I hope everyone is doing well! Thank you for letting me vent!
 
My dentist does not require the antibiotic, and my surgeon, in my case, only the first year. I did not go to the dentist that first year, so by the time I did, I didn’t “need” it. I have never taken any antibiotic at the dentist and have never had a problem.

Google the issue for yourself, google the dental association, and the orthopedic association. Neither requires it, though many surgeons and many dentists do. I could maybe understand it if it was a normal antibiotic course over time, but I won’t take what I consider an overdose like they recommend. I will be more likely to have a bad reaction to that much antibiotic at one time, than I would an infection, which is extremely rare.

Once again:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

 
chipped a tooth and the dentist had me take 2000mg of amoxicillin before he’d see me.
Yes, it is so confusing because of the widespread disagreement about the use of antibiotics for post-op dental work, and for how long. My surgeon says it's only necessary for the first six months after surgery, but my dentist insists on 2 years. Others say for 1 year and others, not at all.
 
I’m canceling my cleaning for early September and schedule it for later.
 
I've just updated the guidance for taking antibiotics prior to dental work in our Library article. Things have changed and it's now a little easier to see where you might fall in the spectrum of patients and their need for extra protection. So please go back and see the latest information.

Care Decision Tree
 
I don’t have any health issues that would suggest I take this antibiotic before dental procedures.
 
I wonder if I was cut or slits were made in IT band as I still (12 weeks) sweet after bike and I don’t rotate all the way. Just use it to stretch the knee.
As luck would have it my husband got covid and now I also have it. Going get PAxlovid today. I’ve actually taken 3 sleeves of husband’s PX. 2yesterday and 1 this morning. I’ll have to go pick it up today. It’s wildly expensive! I got his free with hours of phone work with pyzer . But apparently they won’t give me the deal! Anyway I’ve had to cancel pt for 2 weeks. I’m concerned because I don’t feel like doing anything at all. See Surgeon’s PA 8/19 where I will have to insist I won’t have an MUA! Worried :kickedout:
Thank you all so much!
 
Sorry if this comment is in the wrong place I suck at web sites!
 
Sorry if this comment is in the wrong place I suck at web sites!
No problem, I moved your posts over to your thread.

I’m sorry you’re both dealing with covid. :console2:

Anyway I’ve had to cancel pt for 2 weeks. I’m concerned because I don’t feel like doing anything at all. See Surgeon’s PA 8/19 where I will have to insist I won’t have an MUA! Worried :kickedout:
Please try not to worry. This recovery can be very long and slow. I worried quite a bit my whole first year (because of pressure from everyone!) It is what it is and we all get to the recovery finish line, at our own pace. Our medical teams would do well to realize that and support and encourage us, rather than threatening us with MUAs that are rarely actually needed.
 
So sorry to read that you are now dealing with COVID on top of your recovery, @Flashcat. Not fair!

As jockette says, this can be a long and slow process. And that really can be anxiety-provoking, especially when you have to deal with an infection early in recovery as you did.

With my first TKR, I had no idea what to expect and -- despite all the reassurances here on BoneSmart -- I was afraid that I would never recover. Like many others here, I continued to see improvement in ROM well into my second year.

I’m concerned because I don’t feel like doing anything at all.
Listen to your body. Taking a few days off to recover from COVID should your priority right now. The knee will be there when you are feeling better.
 
Do NOT let PT push you !! If you feel pain stop !! I did do PT exercises myself at home.
This is not the No Pain No Gain Rule as we all had TKR’s !
I didn’t have 90 degree bend till at least 8 weeks my husband just told me .
At about 10weeks my PT made me do 50 lb leg presses which caused medial gluteal tendinitis which is finally resolving now 6 months after surgery !!
I found that the PT person massaging the knee really helped moving it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom