TKR Still working on ROM

You're welcome, Flashcat. I am glad they're keeping a close eye on the infection. Hopefully the antibiotics do the job and this issue is in the rearview soon. Happy Wednesday...hope you have a good one!
@Flashcat
 
This is great news. I’m glad your infection was caught early and treated. This will soon just be a small blip in your continuing recovery!
 
Yes I’m doing well! It’s a relief! I still can’t drive don’t like the flexibility and ROM yet! Soon I will! I figure a week or 2 maybe :thankyou:
 
Just keep in mind that this recovery can take up to a year or more to really “get there.” Of course, you’ll be functional during that time, but it can mean that obtaining that normal feeling may take a while. Most people report that a big change happens around the 6 month mark.
 
Yes I believe you! I’m but where near “right”
 
Hello all!
I’m still progressing well. I have an area that swells every time I use the peddler it’s on the upper outside of the surgical knee. I just took Motrin to get the swelling down. It’s holding up my exercises. No matter what I always get caught up in the race for a bend and better ROM. I’m doing a knee bending course on You tube that starts each session with 5 minutes on the bike. Here’s a picture of the area that swells. I wonder if that’s where they cut muscle or just soft tissue getting irritated?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Still working on ROM
    IMG_6017.webp
    120.8 KB · Views: 37
  • [Bonesmart.org] Still working on ROM
    IMG_6017.webp
    120.8 KB · Views: 49
I had swelling in that same area, in fact, I still have some swelling there. At this point it doesn’t interfere with anything. There were times I could feel the swelling pop into place, in that area, when I stressed the knee joint. At “only” two-ish months post op, it’s normal.

No matter what I always get caught up in the race for a bend and better ROM.
Try not to get caught up in this. You will heal in your own timeframe and your ROM will be fine. It’s very sad that there is so much pressure on us to increase our ROM. It will happen, in its own time.

One of our former staff members used to say:

It is a long journey but if you stick with the BoneSmart approach the journey will be less painful and you will still reach the same final destination. Ultimately you get to choose the path, the tough rocky road through painful PT, or the BoneSmart path through the meadow with the pretty wild flowers. :flwrysmile:
 
I’ll take the flowery meadow please! I do start outpatient PT Monday but I will be confident to not allow them to hurt me! Thank you so much!
 
I feel the swelling starting in that area but only after the bike exercise. Guess I’ll back down on the bike awhile. You know this same area on my leg/knee would swell like this prior to surgery! Looks like a knot or a bump when it pops up! I take as too much exercise for that area :thankyou:
 
Good Morning :wave:
Your knee is still healing, the repetitive motion of the bike may be too much right now. Ice the area right after exercising, if you're not already and see if it makes a difference in fluid collecting in the area. You can also try shorter sessions on the peddler, take breaks, and try a lower resistance. As long as the swelling decreases with rest it should be manageable. Keep in mind, this is a marathon, not a sprit.
Have a great Thursday, Flashcat! :SUNsmile:
@Flashcat
 
Thank you! I will take the bike exercise down a few notches. I have pain with the swelling and I don’t want more of that! I have no additional tension on the bike right now but five minutes 2x’s a day was 2 miles. That’s a lot for me right now! I can skip the bike today and do the stretches.
:old:Thank you all
 
five minutes 2x’s a day was 2 miles. That’s a lot for me right now!
That's a lot for ANYONE who is less than 2 months post-op. My surgical team recommended using the bike and doing the PT exercises every other day -- giving the leg time to recover in between. On those "off" days, I would use stick to walking and ADLs (activities of daily living). It worked really well.
 
I’m headed to PT and I’m being shamed by PT guy about my bad ROMnat 8 weeks! I need encouragement! Thank you
 
Definitely don't let anyone shame you about ROM. I would challenge this and ask to see a different therapist. In my view poor ROM is more likely due to pre-op factors ( tight ligaments etc) limiting post-op ROM or swelling due to tissues still healing. Neither of these are the patient's fault and this attitude of blame/ shame is counterproductive. It is important to move and gently stretch regularly but there is no need for anything punitive or painful.
I think that this early emphasis on tough PT puts a lot of people off and actually hinders long term recovery. I have read research which demonstrated weakness in TKR legs after two or more years compared to the unoperated side. I am still doing 3-4/ week glute/ quad strengthening pilates at two and a half years to try to avoid this. But I only started strength work ( bands and weights) at 6 months out.
 
Thank you so much! I will be tough on the PT!!
Remember that you are their boss and they are your employee. What you say, goes! Don't let them push or pull on your leg at all. The only thing that does is increases your inflammation, pain, and swelling. That lowers ROM.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom