Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still working on ROM

Thank you! It’s a solo journey when everyone believes the opposite of what I believe where this is concerned!
This is now I felt when I was recovering, and found Bonesmart, which stressed listen to your body and be patient and give yourself time to heal, and not to overdo the list of exercises, among other things. Everyone else around me was telling me how I had to do all the PT (some of which was definitely not in my best interest), etc.

We’re here for you!
 
Because of birth defects, I had to have 12 knee surgeries, so I've had lots of knee recovery experience. I knew from that experience that I did not need formal PT after my TKR, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and do not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT.
I found Bonesmart 6 months before my TKR, and I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of! My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
 
Nope...you're not flying solo. This forum is for sharing, listening, supporting and encouraging.
You're definitely not alone when you're here, so stop by often, lights never go out here. :wink:
@Flashcat
 
Checking in to see how your doing. Remember we're a community here to help one another.
 
I’m 2 and 1/2 weeks post op. I’m struggling with the PT issues. I had a good start by staying over night at the hospital so I had regular meds and PT right there. Walking basically. Once the in home team started they were awful! Rude and disrespectful. Warned me I was way behind and I’d just gotten home! They said I had a limited period to get to a 90 degree bend and if i could not
Do by 2 weeks post op id never get there. I was I upset! Then they pushed swollen the knee so hard I cried (when they left). So I’ve been feeling depressed,defeated and upset since then! I just canceled my first outpatient PT because I’m afraid to go! I sound crazy in sure! The wound has a place where the skin isn’t flat and lining up with the other side. That’s fit me scared. There’s more but die goodness sake that’s enough!

Everyone heals at different rates no one can impose their standards on you.
That said I amfinding you need to "use it or loose it"
Pi appoinmenets are importand change the PI so you look forward to going
 
Hello all!
Im still working hard on my ROM. Seems like it will never happen! I remind myself that I started at 53 degrees in July to 87 now! 6 months though :gaah:
 
@Flashcat

I just want to let you know I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Im still working hard on my ROM. Seems like it will never happen! I remind myself that I started at 53 degrees in July to 87 now! 6 months
What do you mean by "working hard".
If it involves forcing your bend it could be causing inflammation and actually be counterproductive with increased stiffness.
I used a gentle pilates based approach ( Google Katja pilates to find my lovely pilates teacher's free YouTube videos).
Her side lying knee friendly glutes video with no squats was my main rehab. I never pushed to anything painful and have great ROM.
ROM can't really be forced or worked hard for. Gentle regular stretches that don't trigger inflammation are the best way I believe.
 
Thank you! I’m being careful I’ve never pushed it too hard and my PT doesn’t either. I just wonder if I’ll ever get decent ROM with this approach. I still use dynasplint. Thank you so much!
 
It is just amazing the different times it takes each of us to achieve “appropriate” ROM. What was your ROM like before your surgery? Did you have any other procedures on this leg before your TKR? Any other issues with this leg?

As I’ve said before, I had a very tough first year with my ROM, but had a lot of improvement all through my second year post op. I never had any other issues with my knee before my PKR. I did have enough aggressive PT in the first 8 weeks, which I’m sure didn’t help, then I had 2 major setbacks at 4 and 5 months post op that totally derailed my recovery for the rest of that first year. Time and just normal activity (no further PT, and no specific exercises) did indeed bring about my improvement.
 
Thank you for the great reminder Jockett! I get bogged down in other people’s programs for recovery!! I must relax more and trust I’ll be fine over time! I haven’t been on because I thought my subscription had expired! I have a few days left!
 
I get bogged down in other people’s programs for recovery!!
But, those knees are not YOUR knee. Everyone is different. Your knee was different going into this surgery. Your surgery was done physically for your knee. Lastly, your healing is different from anyone else's. What works for one knee might be good, but also might be bad for another. My recovery consisted of my daily activities for all 12 of my knee surgeries. Birth defects led to 6 surgeries on each knee, but I never did any exercises or took PT, and my knees are doing well! Find what works for you. You might find that the best thing is to just forget about it and go about your day the best you can. That is called 'natural PT'. It works!
 
I appreciate your story! I have musculoskeletal & circulation issues from scleroderma plus the inflammatory response is heightened for me. I bend wasn’t 145 since 1980
 
I appreciate your story! I have musculoskeletal & circulation issues from scleroderma plus the inflammatory response is heightened for me. I bend wasn’t 145 since 1980
I would think this will be a factor in your recovery.

You might find that the best thing is to just forget about it and go about your day the best you can.
This is so very hard to do but I agree, it worked for me, when I finally got to that point, in my second year. I was so stressed my first year with opinions from “everyone.” Finally the opinions stopped and life went on and as time went on I realized I could bend better, and at that point I was a bit angry that so much emphasis was put on a ROM number during that first year. I don’t know what my number is now and I don’t care. To be honest, it could be better, but it’s what I have and it works.
 
I haven’t been on because I thought my subscription had expired! I have a few days left!
Flashcat, you can still post updates on your thread after your subscription ends. You're always welcome here as part of the community.
If you choose not to renew your Insider subscription, please understand that staff can only provide guidance to Insiders, but we'll always support / encourage and be happy to read about your progress.
Happy Monday...have a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Flashcat. I just checked and your Insiders' subscription doesn't expire until 11/20.

But, as Layla said, you are still a member of our community and welcome to continue posting on your progress. As a Basic member, you won't be able to start any new threads, but you will always have access to this recovery thread.

We encourage you to keep coming back and sharing updates. It's helpful to you and to others who are following your progress.
 
Thanks to all of you! you were there when I was so scared and alone in my thinking! I received wonderful advice that I still reread!!
 
I am still working on ROM 7th month po. The PT got it to 95 passive!! I’m leaving this morning for NYC! Flying by myself and meeting 2 friends at a hotel for 3 nights! We have packed schedule!!wish me luck!! I’m taking a cane just in case, for stability-new surroundings, etc. Hope everyone is healing well:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom