Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you possibly describe your experience re. the pain and recovery? I know that's asking a lot, but just thought I'd give it try.
I have other things going on with my lower leg and foot that have confounded my recovery. I think from what you have said your recovery will be more like @RunA42K 's recovery.
I think a revision is rougher, they do more to the bones with the rods in your femur and tibia to secure the implant.
 
PUMPKIN ...... what's happening with your foot and ankle? You were doing so well, I hate to see you have still more difficulty. I think you've been through enough. Are you discouraged? Have you gotten to see your doctor? What is he saying? Please tell me what's going on. My prayers are with you.
abby
 
Hi Abby,
I have a crooked lower leg in the TKR side, and my heel bends to the side, tweaking my lower leg. I saw the foot doctor, and am using wedges to line up my foot. It is feeling better. I go to the orthotist tomorrow to start the process of fabricating a foot bed for me to control this motion.
I go day to day, I have PT 2x a week, 2 Dr appts this week one with the foot doctor on Monday, and one with my primary, where we sorted out my medications, tomorrow the orthotist, whew, I am too busy. There is a link in my signature that will take you to my thread where I have posted more about this week.
 
Pumpkin ..... gosh Pumpkin, you've had a terrible go of it. Has all this started wen you had our TKR? I am so sorry. My P.T. told me to only get sturdy shoes with heels that felt good ..... there should be no breaking in period. Soooooooo, I went through everything and Good Will got quite a haul from me in shoes. Now I only have 2 sandals and 2 winters, plus athletic shoes. They do feel really good. They are mostly Dansko, Merrill, and Keen ..... big $$$, but they're worth it. She said the hip, knee, and ankle all have to line up straight and supportive shows helps that stay put.
Do take care and keep me posted.
abby
 
Thanks Abby,
Going shoe shopping this week, making do with some converse shoes for now.
 
Abby....if you see this post, please know we received your contact message regarding not being able to log in to BoneSmart. I changed your password, but when I tried to email you messages from both my BoneSmart account and my personal email account were returned as undeliverable. Please contact us via the website once again and give us a new email address so we can get your problem resolved!!
 
Hi Abby,
They were out of my size, so I have to wait.
Going to buy some black converse hi tops, so I match my outfits :heehee:. For what ever reason I always get compliments on my Converse hi tops, go figure.
I hope you have your password problem solved soon.
 
Hi everyone ..... well, as I think I told you, my revision TKR was done on 8/19. It's now 9/13 and I'm still in rehab. because of this picc line. If it stays the same, I'll be able to go home 9/26. The P.T. here is rough, but it's paid dividends for me ..... I only use a cane when I walk around the halls, and in my room I don't use anything. My walker is folded up ready to go home. My one problem which seems to be getting worse every day is the antibiotic is really making me nauseated, to the point where I can't eat but a very tiny amount. They can only give me Milk of Magnesia for it and, for obvious reasons, I only take half a dose. That does help some, but not for long. I saw my doctor yesterday, didn't have this on my list, and so I forgot to say anything. I've just written him an e-mail. Anyhow, the surgery went well ... he showed me the new x-ray compared to the other one and HOLY COW, this new one goes half way up the femur and half way down the tibia! It's huge. He called it "the Brute," which I think is funny. He said with this one I'll be able to walk, run, jog, play tennis, anything I want to do.
So, that's the story. One other thing .... do any of you know of shoes called "Trotters?" One of the women in P.T. has them and they're very supportive, comfortable, and have plenty of softness in the heel. Very pricey though.
abby
Revision 8/19/2014
 
I definitely know about Trotters! They are a very established shoe company that used to be known as Old Maine Trotters. I wore them in the late 1960's in a loafer style along with my Bass Weejuns because they were soooo comfortable. Here is some information from a website about the company:

And once you try on a pair of Trotters shoes, you'll never want to take them off. Because Trotters shoes and sandals are built for all-day comfort, with features like cushioned insoles and flexible soles. Trotters come in just your size and width. From its very beginning in 1935, Trotters has been dedicated to creating high-quality women's footwear with appealing looks and exceptional comfort. Trotters first shoes were moccasins made by Native American craftspeople in Old Town, Maine, where the company still makes its home. The unique comfort of Trotters begins with their careful choice of materials: the softest leathers, high-tech cushioning and flexible soles. And unlike many companies, Trotters develops a separate last (the form around which the leather is shaped) for each size and width. So every pair feels like it was made just for you. Trotters brings you the same quality in their latest collections.
 
Thanks Jamie ..... they have a wonderful selection of shoes ...... really, really nice.
abby
 
Morning Abby - you sound terrific and ready to take care of yourself at home. I am trying to catch up on some threads but good to hear you are so positive! Hope all continues to go well and this recovery is better than the first!
 
Hi everyone ..... well, the final straw for my doctor to "spring" me out of the rehab. place (his words not mine) was that I broke out in hives from the Primaxim. I'd been on it for 4 weeks.
You know, everything I read in books, articles, anywhere said how awful a revision was. My knee feels better than it ever has! I am sooooo happy about it. That very day my doctor did the paperwork, another doctor in house took out the picc line, and after signing a few papers ..... off I went. I need no Vicodin, or anything stronger than Advil, and then I only took it once today. I can hardly believe it. I'll be going to out-patient P.T. in 2 weeks, but I know the P.T. at the rehab. place was the best I've ever had ..... grueling, but worth it. I am absolutely delighted with how this has turned out. It's considerably larger than the original one ..... instead of the whole thing being about 7" long, this giant is (from top to bottom) is about 16-18" long. He showed me the x-rays. I'm so glad I stuck with him because he knew my whole history of allergies and knew immediately what was happening when I wrote and told him about the hives, and nausea.
So, tell me, how is everyone else doing long about now?
abby :catdance:
 
Wonderful to hear how well you are doing.
So glad you went ahead and had the revision! I bet your dog will be happy when you can take him for a walk.
My revision has finally turned the corner, much less pain and better mobility.
Enjoy being at home.



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
I'm so glad to see you are doing so well with the revision!
 
Abby,
I was thinking you might like a new thread title. If you do post it here and a moderator will change it. Or you can change it using thread tools, it is up there on the right.
Have a great weekend, and hope your pets are home soon.
 
Hi folks .... well, I finally made it back. But, I've been following along with your posts. My revision was Aug. 19 - a Tuesday. He said the prosthesis was loose, that's what was causing the pain. During my days at the hospital my surgeon took several samples when he was operating. He and the "house doctor" examined them and found them clean. But, the Infectious Disease specialist said she saw one little rod that was not moving and was not growing. She wanted to put me on a very strong antibiotic. The other 2 doctors (including my surgeon) disagreed, but finally agreed since she was the "specialist." So, they inserted a picc line, and began me on a medication called "Praxium" (I think that's how you spell it). I went to the rehab facility and after 8 days of the med. I broke out in hives .... I obviously had built up an allergy to it. I went to the nurse - it was 11 PM - showed her my hands and arms and she DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO! OMG .... talk about scared! She gave me a Clariton (which doesn't do squat for hives) and pulled out an Epi-Pen. Well, I knew enough about my own body to know I did not need an Epi-Pen ..... I needed Benadryl - 3 of them pronto. They didn't have any! WHAT????? Well, thank goodness for good friends, because just 2 days before a dear friend of mine, who knows my allergy history, brought me a box of Benadryl. I put them away because they would have taken them if they knew I had them. I asked the Nurse for a glass of very cold milk, which she gave me. I went back to my room, took 3 Benadryl with the milk and went to bed, laying there for about 2 hours til the itching subsided. By the next morning they had called my Surgeon and the house doctor, my Surgeon's Assistant called me and told me, "he's filling out the papers to 'spring' you out of there right away." I refused the rest of the Primaxin and went home the next day.
The P.T. staff was amazing. They were really, really good ..... "brutal" but good. I had it every day for 1-1/2 hours and wow ...... it was rough. But, by the time I left I could walk without assistance from walker or cane and it felt very good. When I went in to see him - 1 week later - he told me how long the extensions were up my femur and down my tibia ..... they are HUGE. He called it "a brute" ..... he also said, "don't overdo anything, take it easy, no matter how good you feel." I really was good, except for the passed 3 days. Smartie pants me thought, oh it's been awhile now, and off I went running about 4 or 5 errands every day. Well, by last night I was paying big time for it. I used ice, kept it up, and took Ibuprofen. It's a little better today, but I'm staying here right now and continuing with the resting of it. Guess I learned my lesson. When I first met the Anesthesiologist prior to the surgery I told him what happened the last time and I did not want that to happen again. So, I had a nerve block instead and some sort of sedative, and I only remember occasional things of the surgery. I was awake in just a few hours - much better than before. I only took the Vicodin for 4 days in rehab. and really didn't need them after that. I'm fine here at home with Advil.
So, that's the story ..... it's over, but now I absolutely have to take it easy. Feeling good does not mean "things are normal and I can go back to my normal routine." I've learned that.
abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom