Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, today I have 1 appt. with another doctor, then I'm getting a flu shot and home. I've got to pare down my schedule, so I am. Tomorrow I see my surgeon and there's only one thing I'm concerned about. When the nurse took out the staples she had trouble getting the top 3 out - ouch. Well, it's never looked the rest of the incision, and yesterday the scab came off and it bled just very slightly. So, I put some antibiotic cream on it and a bandaid and changed it this morning. I'll show it to him tomorrow. I don't know what's going on but it makes me a bit nervous.
I have my dog back and boy is she matted. My x-husband told me he tried to brush her ears but she kept whining and whimpering. What he didn't know was that's what she always does. I tried last night, and it's almost as if her ears should be shaved! hehe
abby
 
Happy to hear how we you are doing. I had one staple hole that took forever to heal.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Thanks for telling me that Pumpkin .... that makes me feel better. I thought something horrible was going on. How are you doing? You were having a pretty rough go of it there for awhile.
abby
 
I am slowly but surely better, sure can be a long slog for some of us.
Very happy to hear you are having a good recovery, take it easy.
 
Hi there Pumpkin ..... I'm sure when I see my doctor tomorrow I'll get the LECTURE again ..... 1 thing a day, ice, and then sit down and read, watch TV, or nap. I'm keeping a bandaid with antibiotic cream on the little area from that stubborn scab ..... it seems to be helping.
Yesterday I had the "mother load" of shots ..... flu, shingles, and DT. Very sore arms today!
Bring me up to date on you Pumpkin ..... how are things going for you?
abby :puppysmooze::kittykiss:
 
Abby, life is throwing some stumbling blocks my way. It is all in my thread.
Glad you are doing well.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
You are having a rough go of it Pumpkin. You know, one thing jumped out at me. When I went to the rehab. place, for 2 weeks, they never just gave me a pain pill (Vicodin). I always had to ask for one and then they wanted to know the level of pain 1 through 10. This was just 4-5 days after surgery! I never had one before P.T., which is always mandatory. All I've used since I got home 2 weeks ago is Ibuprofen. No wonder it hurts at times. Thinking back, this is NOT how it was done first time around. I think tomorrow I'll ask my doctor for an Rx. There are times I sure could use it. Thanks for waking me up to this.
abby
 
Hi all ..... well I made it back again. This whole knee stuff gets old sometimes. I had my first out patient P.T. about 1-1/2 weeks ago. When I went into the office, it was totally different. All the old P.T.'s were gone, there was one there and one Intern, and he had on dress slacks, dress shirt, and a tie??????? Strange. He knew I'd had a revision, not the original TKR. We started on the exercises - a LOT of them - about 15-20. Some of them I'd never done before. When I left I noticed my knee hurt just a bit, but I didn't think too much of it. Well, the next morning I got up and I could not walk without holding onto my bed ..... it hurt so badly. Well, that went on for about 9 days, with me taking Ibuprofen and wearing a soft elastic brace. I finally saw my Ortho. Surgeon today, he x-rayed it and the apparatus is great. He examined it, moving it around, pressing here and there and it turns out my Medial Collateral Ligament is injured. That's the large ligament on the inside of the knee which helps stability and balance. He said he couldn't tell if it was torn or if it was over stretched, but either way he said the P.T. was far too aggressive. He has me wearing a heavy brace for 4 weeks and then I'll see him again. He said if I feel OK, to try P.T. Thursday, but, he wrote on the long Rx paper specifically what he wanted me to try to do and not do! He said if it feels like it's too much, to leave. He was not a happy doctor. And obviously I'm not very happy with this either. So, here we are again. I'm going to look mighty funny tomorrow AM walking my dog about 6:30 with a fleece jacket on and shorts! :dogsniff:
abby
 
Hi Abby,
Sorry to hear of your bad PT experience, I would just skip PT or go to another PT office. No need to put yourself through that again. Give your knee, and your lateral ligament a chance to heal. :elevate:.
 
Hi Pumpkin ..... well, little did I know that was just the beginning of my "restful night." I put my dog in her crate for the night - about 11 and then went to bed myself. She started to whine slightly after I'd crawled in and I thought she was dreaming. But then it got louder and I knew something was wrong. Well, she'd thrown up and had diarhea all over the crate, herself, outside the crate and the rug. I put her back in my bathroom, and put a towel down for her to lay on, and cleaned up the mess. When I got back here she'd done the same thing to the bathroom but she was throwing up blood. I was ready to take her to the Emergency Vet. Hospital, but they charge you $500 just to walk through the door. I tried to clean her up - impossible, so I cleaned up the bathroom and sat her in the tub. I called my Vet. about 7 to leave a message, and they immediately called me back to bring her in right away. So, she's there and they'll call with any results they find out and when (if) I can take her home today.
I am so tired I think I could sleep standing up, and my knee is just pounding. Just too much bending, stooping, scrubbing, blah, blah, blah. I've taken Advil and it's done nothing.
What next?
abby
 
I hope your dog will be OK sounds like she is very sick. Take care of your knee until you hear from the vet.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Well, I got her back, to the tune of $358. She has gastro-enteritis. He gave her a shot to stop the vomiting and the runs, did bloodwork, rehydrated her, an antibiotic shot, and gave me special food, 2 kinds of pills, and stuff to spray on her teeth. He said they were nasty. WHAT? I told him they just cleaned them in April. He checked and sure enough, they did. But, he showed them to me and they're horrible. Supposedly her breed gets like that. Oh yes, and she has a heart murmur, which I knew. And of course, when I got her here I had to give her a bath because she was filthy, in the bathtub on my knees. I could hardly get up and I wanted to cry. I'm going to eat and go to bed. I think I've hit my last nerve.
abby
 
I hope your dog is better so you can take care of yourself. Sounds like you need :ice:
 
Hi Kneeper ..... thank you for your post. She is better, thankfully. And I found that sleeping with this brace on was not hard at all. I was rather dreading it, but I had no problems.
How are you coming along? Bring me up to date.
abby
 
Hi all .... I'm a little surprised that the P.T. I had didn't seem to know how to work with a Revision. I had no idea it was approached differently, more gently, in P.T. But, he was brand new, and maybe that's why. My Ortho. Surgeon was not happy though. On the new P.T. Rx he very specifically wrote Revision and underlined it.
abby
 
Sorry you got an inexperienced PT. Sounds like you will be on the right track now.
I'm doing quite well--still some residual stiffness when I'm on my feet for a long time, but generally good.
 
Yea, I don't particularly want to go back to that P.T. but my Ortho. thinks I should, as he said "that young man needs some training on how to handle revisions." But he also told me, if it begins to hurt or get too hard, to just leave. The note he wrote to the P.T. was VERY specific .... telling him what to do and NOT to do. And, he was not gentle about it.
Please bring me up to date on you all .... I feel like I've been living in another world!
abby
 
Amberpep.....not sure I agree with your surgeon. Yes, the therapist needs to learn how to deal with revisions, but I'm not sure I'd want to be his training tool!!! Don't feel bad if you prefer to find another therapist. After all, your first responsibility is to YOU, not some therapist-in-training!

So sorry to hear about your dog. Glad you got her to the vet quickly and things seem to have settled down.
 
Abby,
I agree with Jamie, let the PT learn on someone else.
I have been busy with my ill Mother, and have not been posting as much lately.
Glad to hear you dog is doing better, they sure can be awfully expensive, but worth for the compainiohsip they provide.
How are you doing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom