Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I wear that elastic brace, it really seems to make it feel better .

Hi Abby, just speed read your thread. Doesn't everything take such a long time to resolve. Hopefully not too much longer for you now. I don't have the same prosthesis as you but my knee is so uncomfortable. My second opinion is scheduled for 8 July. I do so hope I get some answers. I too wear an elastic sleeve. It sits just below my knee. In that position is doesn't hinder my bend - its only around 100/110. The elastic sleeve reduces the swelling (I don't get much, but enough to add to the discomfort). It also seems to hold things in place. It makes things tolerable.

Can I just check something with you. Did having the scarring removed help at all or even change things in any way?

Very best wishes for when you eventually get that second opinion. Carol
 
Hi Patient 99 ...... no, having the scar tissue removed did nothing to help my knee. Since I had the TKR, my knee has never stopped hurting, with the exception of a few months after the original TKR had healed. Then it started up again. When it's going to rain ..... that's when the Advil comes out and I put on the elastic brace. I've got plenty of "stuff" to take to the new doctor .... my OS 4-page letter, x-rays, and a DVD of the bone scan. Since I've read what I have, I think it's because of the DePuy appliance. Take care and tell your doctor everything so he gets the full picture of what you're going through, even to the extent of writing it all down so you don't forget anything.
Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Oh, I forgot something .... try wearing the elastic on your knee itself .... no you won't have quite the flexibility, but wow, when I put mine on it really, really, helps a whole lot.
abby
 
Hi Amberpep, I have been reading your posts and I feel for you needing to see a revisoinst about the pain in your knee. I know how you feel because I've been thru it also.But I differ with you in sayong it is caused by the brand of implant. I have DePuy implants on both knees. The left one is perfect, had a easy recovery and had no problem with it. The right one I had to have it revised because the tibial component had become loose because my knee bone had kinda crumbled. I had a top revision surgeon From Stanford Univ., and he again used DuPuy Revision components but this time with very long stems and they did extra work on the tibia bone itself. MY surgery was over 4 hrs long. But again I had a good recovery. Its almost 2 yrs since the revision and Both my knees are great, no problem at all. My ROM is 130+/0.
I don' t believe its the brand of knee, because people with all other brands also sometimes need revisions!
Good Luck with your appt. Wishing you the best.
 
Hi Oklie ....... I sure hope mine goes as well as yours did. I'd love to be able to feel normal in that knee again. Thanks so much for the encouragement. Take care.

abby
 
I do hope you get things fixed soon @amberpep. It sounds like you have a lot of information to bring to your appointment on Friday. Good Luck!
 
Just a funny ...... my daughter told my X what was going on with my knee, and as usual .... he just HAD to tell me what to do. Uhhhhh ..... those days are loooooong gone big boy! Funny how some things never change.
abby
Night all ..... see you in the AM.
 
Hi Abby @amberpep

I'm glad you got your appointment and I hope it goes well for you.

Best wishes!
 
Morning Abby - I also have a Depuy Sigma Fixed Bearing knee with no problems. One question I have and maybe someone here can answer for me. How does the OS choose between fixed and rotating platform? I am just curious if there are more issues with the rotating platform type knees?? Can't wait to see what your OS has to say!
 
Oh, I forgot something .... try wearing the elastic on your knee itself .... no you won't have quite the flexibility, but wow, when I put mine on it really, really, helps a whole lot.

I've been wanting to do this for ages, but I cant find an elastic knee support that is right for me. There's loads of choice if you go on line, but trying to get the right fit when you buy on line is very difficult. I've had to return all the ones I've bought that way. It gets expensive paying the postage and its such a waste of time.

The one I'm using, which is getting a bit tatty, I bought in a chemist in Spain. I've tried a few chemists in England and a few sports shops, but most of what they sell are big bulky things in some very noticeable colour - like bright blue. My spanish support sleeve is flesh coloured and inconspicuous - but too tight to go over me knee.

If anyone from England is reading this and knows of any chain stores selling knee supports please let me know. Carol
 
Hi Patient 99 ..... I know you can get them on line ..... I got mine on E-bay, and I had to get an XL and I'm not fat. The ones I've gotten are gray and then right in front where the knee is it is black ..... they "say" it's some sort of bamboo stuff, but who knows? I'd try either a Large or XL .... and I know E-bay has them .... that's where I've gotten all mine. Good luck.
abby
 
Hi Jozilla .... the problems seem to be with the rotating platform ones .... at least that's what I've read and those are the ones that have the lawsuits filed against them. My doctor said they put them in people who want to continue to be active after the surgery is done, which I really do. I love hiking, whitewater rafting, taking long walks with my dog.
abby
 
Sorry, but off topic credit card fraud .... caution to all .... I had a call from VISA this morning as I'd had some credit card charges on my card that weren't mine ... they were from overseas. And ..... I have Lifelock and have not heard a word from them.
abby
 
Glad your credit card company caught the fraud!
I am not familiar with how Lifelock works, you may want to take second look at the services they are providing, or it appears are not providing.
 
Yes, I just called them and told them what happened. Seems they don't monitor money transactions .... they ONLY monitor your account when someone tries to open account in your name. I'm thinking about dropping it.
I told the woman they need to make that very clear in their advertising, because right now they don't.
abby
 
@amberpep - good thing your credit card company was on the ball. What is the sense in having extra protection if you aren't protected??
 
Abby,
I think you can sign up for credit monitoring only, not sure how it works. Just thinking about this: Why can't they send us an e mail when ever an account is opened, to be sure we are the one opening the account?
Just glad it was caught, you have enough on your plate with you appointment coming up on Friday.
 
Yes, they really are on the ball with these things. Each company and financial institution has a whole department monitoring these things. I'm dropping Lifelock .... what good are they if they don't monitor transactions? All they monitor is if someone tries to open an account in your name! Forget it.
Need to go to bed ..... feel like I lost a day with this mess, figuring out new whacky passwords and writing them down so I have them.
See you all tomorrow.
abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom