Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
@amberpep Abby,
I'm glad to hear that your appointment with the new OS went so well. Now you have a plan and a brighter future to look forward to. Hooray!

As for these people who allegedly make miraculous recoveries - while there are a few (a very few), most of the time these wonder-people are usually friends-of-a friend, or even more distant connections.

I have a friend who is probably one of the subjects of the miracle recovery urban myth. Yes, he did go back to work only two weeks after his knee replacement - and he proudly tells people so. But, he did it in a wheelchair. His wife drove him to and from work; he was so exhausted when he got home each day that he slept for about 3 hours; and he didn't have to think about cooking or cleaning. He's forgotten how much pain he had, and how much trouble he had, trying to concentrate while he was at work.

I'd be inclined to take with more than a pinch of salt all the stories of people who recover super fast.
 
Abby, very happy that you liked your new OS. Yes it makes a difference finding someone that can help you. I remember when I went to the revisionist I was so elated, after over two years of pain, and going back to my OS many times. He would take xrays and say all was well with the implant, blamed my back or posture or whatever for the pain. Was referred to a Phyiatrist who did a complete exam of back etc. and ordered the bone scan that showed problem was the knee. Finally found the revisionist OS. and he immediatly saw the problem and explained it all to me. What a godsend!!
In regard to people that have quick recoveries with no problems, that does happen, but onle to a few. But every person is different and every knee is different. For instance my Left Knee replacement was a fast and good recovery and it is now 5 yrs. and that knee is perfect, no problem at all(knock on wood), and the right knee I had all that pain for years, now since it was revised almost 2 yrs it is doing fine also.
Here's hoping all goes well from now on for you. But be sure to take it slowly and follow the BoneSmart Mantra.
 
Hi Pumpkin ..... wow, that's wonderful about JustJeff. I'd love to have that kind of success. I wasn't going to go to a rehab. place afterwards, but I think I will. I was hoping one of my daughter's could come up for a bit to help, but "it's not a good time because the shop is having their sidewalk sale." It's not her shop and there's 8 people that work there, using schedules. I wrote to my son and my X about Molly to see if maybe they could share time taking her for me ...... never heard from son, but my X wrote and said, "of course I'll help you .... that's no problem at all." Interesting.
It's beautiful out ..... I think I'll go sit on my deck ..... the birds are really at it right now.
Thanks again for writing Pumpkin. :puppysmooze::kittykiss:
abby
 
I am glad your ex is willing to help out with Molly. That souls be a relief for you! I think getting the revision will be a good thing for you. The recovery is hard but worth it. I am not looking forward to going thru it again but am looking forward to having a pain free knee! Here is one of my Lilly's. they are so gorgeous this year.

[Bonesmart.org] Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep


Take care. Xoxo
 
Oh, that is absolutely gorgeous! I don't know if I told you, but I had about 20 of them at our house. Everywhere we went on vacation I would pick up 2 or 3 and I'd accumulated lilies from all over the place. I absolutely loved them. But, I did not have one that was this red ..... that is absolutely beautiful. Now I'm stuck with plants in pots on my deck.

A friend just gave me a website about all the lawsuits against DePuy because of this very thing. I'm not one to sue, but I'm going to at least going to check it out.

abby
 
Yes I would definitely check the website out. I do know you have a Depuy Rotating and If you have that particular knee I would also talk with a lawyer. It would be interesting to find out what caused your problem. Hope you enjoy your day. It looks like it will be beautiful here!
 
@amberpep There have been a couple of models made by DePuy that have been recalled due to issues / defects and your problems might very well be a result of a defective device. About a month ago you mentioned having fallen on your knees. Was that before or after your problems started? Maybe that exacerbated the problem? Sorry to see you have to go through all of this again. I have a newer DePuy model replacing my right knee, the DePuy Attune model, and I could not be happier at this time. I have to ask my OS if it is a rotating or fixed platform as this model is available both ways.

I know that DePuy is not the only manufacturer to have had recalls or problems. Zimmer and Stryker are two more and there may be others.
 
Jozilla .... I did check it out and there are a LOT of lawsuits about this. My new OS drew pictures of how the DePuy fits and how the one he is going to use fits .... it's a gender specific Zimmer (I don't know the rest of the name). The DePuy is not made for most women ..... some have great success, but for most, if the Dr. is going to use that one, they have to shave down the patella so it all fits. He didn't do that, thus the clunking and grinding and pain. I did look at a website of some lawyers who handle this, and filled out their form. They come back and tell you if you have a case. That part is free, but I'm sure the rest isn't. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer. My son is a Patent Lawyer but he is ALWAYS telling me, "he doesn't do that kind of law so he can't help me." But, this definitely fits their criteria of those who are suing. If there's a class action suit, who gets sued? DePuy or the Doctor? I really don't want to sue the Dr. And, is it really worth being involved in a class action suit? Is it really worth the financial reward? I may have told you this, but I've changed my surgery to Sept. I just have too much to do to make it in June. In the notebook the hospital gave me they have tons of things to do ..... way more than before. And .... if you're planning to go to a rehab. afterwards, it is totally, 100% up to the patient to make all arrangements! Wow. Last time I told the Social Worker where I wanted to go, and she made all the arrangements. I don't know where I want to go, do I have to pay for it since this is the second time for the same thing? Somehow I have to find these things out. Then there's my dog and cat. My X is taking my dog, and I'm going to ask my neighbor to feed my cat. Interesting that the daughter who I hoped might be willing to take me and then spend the first week with me here, has said "she couldn't help." Now, she works at a toy store, supposedly only part-time, and the reason she can't come is because they're having a sidewalk sale! There are 10 people working there. And, what about the Family Leave Act? Oh well, I've got a way, so I'll just let her stew in her own juice. Interesting ..... 3 adult kids and none of them can come help. Now the oldest one does have kids and that I totally understand ..... I didn't even ask her because I knew it would just be asking too much. Oh well, gotta' stop the pity party now.
Thanks so much for writing, Talk to you later.
abby
 
I believe just the manufacturer would be sued. Also check around. A lot of lawyers only take fees if you win a lawsuit. For example twenty percent of what you get. If you do not win they get nothing. If there is a class action suit against a mfgr. it may be different. Take care!
 
Hi @amberpep - it is unfortunate that you have to deal with all of this. Please don't compare yourself to others' recoveries. We are all so different. Most people forget about what they went through after a while and this is when you hear about all of the good stories. I guess our mind focusses on the end result as opposed to any hardship we may have experienced getting there. This is likely a good thing as we would have a very small population if women remembered all of the pain that childbirth brings and did not do it ever again :)

So you are getting your revision done in September? Are you getting both knees done? Will you be okay dealing with the pain for two more months? I hope it all goes well for you!
 
I'm very happy to hear that your new OS looks like a keeper. Interesting and good that your ex will help with the dog. If you have a couple of months to the surgery that should give you time to research rehab options etc.
 
Abby,
Sorry to hear you have so much on your plate, at least the dog and cat have someone to care for them.
Last time I told the Social Worker where I wanted to go, and she made all the arrangements.
If you were happy with this place, give them a call and ask what you need to do to make arrangements? At least you have a few months to locate a rehab place you like.
If you are on Medicare, as long as you are admitted to the hospital for 3 days, Medicare will pay for your nursing home. You are not having the same surgery, you are having a revision.
Wishing you all the best,
 
Hi Abby. Hope you are doing okay. I saw my OS today. He gave me a cortisone injection and took X-rays to start the process for my left tkr. It took me over two months last time for the tests and knee to be done. So that is why September is reasonable if I start now. I love my OS - he has always been very good with me. My hospital has a patient advocate that you can call with any questions who will also help arrange your rehab if you need it. If you do not have anyone at home to help you my doctor prefers you go to rehab and also if you have not made enough progress. I do know that insurance companies are making it more difficult though. Pumpkln's idea to call the one you already used is a great suggestion. They will be able to give you all the answers and yes explain you are having a revision. I will not have as much help this time as my husband is unable to get off work. My daughter will be able to bring me to PT and I think I will be ok with my little "nest". Take care - will talk to you soon! I am on my way to South Jersey - the weather is stormy and traffic heavy. Xoxo JoAnne.
 
Hi all ...... sorry I have not been around for a bit ..... I'm going to go look at a rehab. place on Monday. It's one I never thought I'd be able to use - brand new, and gorgeous. The one I was in when I had my TKR was, well, let's say, "less than good". My doctor sprung me out of there in 3 days. It was unbelievable. The sink was pulled out from the wall - someone must have fallen against it and pulled it, they had no raised toilet so they brought one in and sat it on the floor and each time I had to go, I had to pick it up and put it on the toilet myself - all that with a walker, the floor was dirty, and one evening I was sitting on my bed with my legs hanging over talking to my roommate and the granddaddy of all centipedes ran across the floor! YEOWEE!!!!! A friend of mine who is a pastor and visits her congregation there walked in and said, "what in the world happened to this place?" Apparently it was being taken over by another organization (Genesis) and they weren't .... well, very good. I did report them to the Dept. of Health who did several surprise inspections, but I never heard what they found.
I really like my new OS ... the whole atmosphere is different than my other one ..... you can tell everyone gets along and that they like each other. I told my doctor about my first TKR and my 3 days in the hospital ..... I don't remember 1 thing from those 3 days and I don't want to be like that again ..... he said, "don't worry, we won't dope you up like that." What a relief. I have not heard what date yet, but it's Sept. sometime.
Have a great 4th of July everyone.
abby
 
Abby,
The new place you are looking at sounds good. Be sure to walk around the halls, if you smell poop, walk back there later to see if the smell is gone. A good place will clean it up in a reasonable time. Be sure to talk to PT and OT about their philosophy of knee replacement/revision rehab. Be sure nursing philosophy is that you need your pain mediations on time and on schedule. You want to be sure the facility is on the same page as you.
I am so happy for you to have found a good office, OS, and it is looking like a good hospital and rehab experience.
Have a Happy Fourth of July!!!
 
Hi Pumpkin .... yes, I'm definitely going to do those things. At the other place, I was to get 2 pain pills every 6 hours, and consistently the aide would only bring 1. I always told her and she'd argue with me and I asked her to please look at the doctor's orders. She did and sheepishly brought in 2. What I want to know is was she keeping the others for herself?
abby
 
I only know of one instance where a nursing home aide was stealing pain pills, she was fired immediately.
Sad because she provided great care.
If you think you are being shorted, ask to talk to the ombudsman, or the head of nursing, they need to know if there is a problem.
I will be interested in what you think of the nursing home.
 
Hi there Pumpkin - at the time I didn't realize it was a reportable offense, I just knew I was going to say something. That was over 3 years ago now and I don't even know her name. Yes, I am excited to see the new nursing home. Each room is a private room, so I don't think I'll have to hassle with a toilet seat like before. Oh dear, fireworks are going off, my dog is whining and my cat is howling .... gonna' be a long night.
abby
:doggie::kitty:
 
This new place sounds good and like they understand tkrs. Good for you for reporting the other place.
 
Hi kneeper ..... It was a nightmare .... and I'd have been negligent not reporting them. And the stories of really
elderly people sitting in doorways just waiting for someone to pay them any attention, all the while their Depends or whatever they were wearing was dripping through the wheelchair onto the floor, was heartbreaking. I didn't know whether to cry or scream at the folks in the office. Very sad.
This is a "hard brace" day. My knee is killing me .... I've taken Excedrin and put on my hard brace. The soft one will never do on a day like this.
It was good to hear from you ..... take care of yourself too.
abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom