Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the DePuy Rotating Platform replacement ..... the more I read the more I am wondering if it is not that I got a faulty one. It says on their website that the doctors at the group I go to "specialize" in the DePuy Rotating Platform. I found a list of symptoms you get for different problems with knee replacements, and the one for this implant is pain. The others say "clicking" and "instability" for other types of problems and replacement parts. Well, I sure have the pain, and I have that type of replacement part. Really makes me wonder if that's not what is going on. I think I'm still going to go to the new OS, as it didn't seem to register with my original OS that this was a possibility. I think it needs new eyes and mind.
abby
 
Hi all ..... well, tomorrow I'm calling the new OS for a second opinion. I hope he can give me some information, and that I don't have to wait forever to get in. I just want to have this fixed, whatever it is.
abby
 
Glad you are moving ahead, I will be very interested in what this OS has to say about your knee. Hoping between your OS and the new one an answer can be found.
Good Luck, hope they can get you in ASAP!
 
Abby, I'm glad to hear you're going for another opintion. I totally agree that you need new eyes on your knee. Please let us know how things go.

I'm not sure what you were reading about problems with various implants, but quite frankly when any knee has a problem you are going to get pain. So I don't think your problems are related to the type of implant you have. There are many possibilities for the pain and I hope this new surgeon will be able to get to the bottom of it all for you.
 
Thank you both .... I hope to get in soon also. I just hope also that my original OS wrote the letter to him about my history .... his assistant whispered to me when I was leaving, "it could be a week." Well, the week is up so we'll see.
I'm not moving to VA - the decision has been made, actually by my children. There was so much hub-bub this passed week, which I won't go into, that they actually made the decision for me. Once I get to the point that I realize I can't live alone anymore, I'll go, but not til then. Enjoy your day everyone. It's beautiful out here. My kids won't like this, but as much as I love them, it's my life. (sassy old bird, aren't I?)
abby
 
Somehow I keep losing my threads. I thought I was on mine, but found out I was on busylizzies'. What am I doing wrong?
The doctor I was going to go to is no longer with that practice, but he's now down in the thick of D.C. No way I'm driving in that mess. I don't know where to go now.
abby
 
Sorry to hear of this road block to finding answers for your knee.
Call your OS and ask them it there is someone closer?
You could have Visiting Angels drive you.

but found out I was on busylizzies'
No worries, I think it is OK with BusyLizzie.
 
Absolutely, I don't mind anyone using my thread. I hope you find a consultant as good as mine soon. It really makes a difference to get one that works WITH you.
 
glad you found "yourself" amberpep. :heehee: Not sure how you might have lost your thread--but we'll always find you! :)
 
Pumpkin .... I called my original OS and he gave me a name of a doctor at Georgetown in D.C. I won't drive in D.C. or Baltimore .... to me, it's a maze of roads, everyone drives very rudely, and I have no sense of direction anyhow. I have a GPS, but it freezes up and the only way to fix it is to turn it off and start it again. Easy to do when you're driving!!!! Right!
abby
 
Last time I drove in DC was in 1974, it was terrible then, it has to be 100x worse now :driver:
Hope you can find a second opinion closer to home, or at least easier to find.
 
Hi Pumpkin .... it was so good to hear from you .... I needed to hear that this morning. I've been very anxious about Georgetown - in D.C. and Hopkins in the center of Baltimore - in a not very good area. I've decided to call my OS's office this morning and explain the situation (which I already told him) and ask if there isn't a hospital closer by where there is a good OS. who could do a surgery, if necessary, or at least diagnose what's going on. People who have been raised around here wonder why I don't want to drive in D.C. or Baltimore - it's so common to them. Me? Not so much. Actually, not at all. Thank you so much .... I don't feel like such a weirdo now.
I'll let you know what I find out.
abby
 
People who have been raised around here wonder why I don't want to drive in D.C. or Baltimore
Wondering why they don't offer to drive you???
Many people hate to drive in traffic, you are not alone.
Good Luck finding someone closer, or at least in an easier to get to location.
 
People in the "metro" areas don't offer to do anything. I have one girlfriend who I know would, but she works. My son would be the logical one as he lives right outside of D.C., but then he'd have to come here, then down there, then back to bring me home, and then back to his job in D.C. I contacted Visiting Angels and they do this for $18.90 an hour. Figuring it out one way would be $92.50 or both ways around $185, and that's not counting her time waiting for me. I'm going to call my OS and just tell them what I need and go from there.
Maybe I'll just "dig in there" myself ....... :mcoffee:
Take care .... abby
 
My son would be the logical one as he lives right outside of D.C., but then he'd have to come here, then down there, then back to bring me home, and then back to his job in D.C.

Dear Abby,
Would you do the above for your son, if the situation were reversed? Of course you would!

Maybe it's time to call in the chips for all the things you did for him while he was growing up?

I know we all hate to ask for help when our kids have busy lives, but there is a time when they have do have to do some role reversal and assume some responsibility for us.

Look at it this way: Helping you to get your knee sorted out now could keep you mobile and independent for a lot longer, and so prevent your children from having to care for you if you become incapacitated.

The thing is that you need to see a surgeon who will look at your knee with fresh eyes. It's a situation where giving you a little help now could pay off big-time in the future.
 
Abby,

I am glad you are going to another OS! Be persistent! Let them know everything that you are experiencing with your knee and when. Keep a notebook by your chair, take it to bed with you, and wherever so you can remember to write about how you feel when you first get up, the level of pain you are in, does it hurt more sitting or standing? How long after sitting? Standing? Exercise? Answer all of the different activities you do throughout the day and give them a pain level from 1-10 which is the highest. The OS will listen a lot more intently if he knows you have gone to such lengths. If you say it hurts when I get out of the chair, that is vague to him, and he might assume you sat too long.:console2:
 
Good advice you are getting Abby. Please take care. I understand the driving - I am so like that. I am fortunate I still have my hubby who drives anywhere. Good luck!
 
Thank you both for your input. What I finally did was I called my original OS, talked to his Receptionist and just flat out told her that I won't drive in either Baltimore or D.C. She laughed and said "she's heard that a lot." I told her that driving in D.C. is like driving at night with a bunch of monkeys jumping all around your car. I asked if there was not a hospital that was more accessible to me ..... there's several around here, and while I'm sure the names he gave me are excellent, I just can't drive it. Celle ..... I know every word you said is true and I've had several friends say the same thing. I have 3 kids, one of which would gladly do this if she lived closer, one would have to "think about it" (she also lives 4 hours away) and my son would sigh and probably say, "gosh Mom, I don't know ..... I'm so busy at work." Makes me feel like I'm asking for too much. So, I guess I'll wait and see what my OS says.
abby
 
Jozilla ..... thanks for sharing that you don't like to drive in big cities either. Baltimore and D.C. are just too much for me. I don't mind if any surgery that might be needed is done there, as my son probably will take me, as long as the appts. are at another, less-busy location. Driving in D.C., to me is like driving in the dark with monkeys jumping all over the road! Its absolutely the worse.
abby
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom