Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abby,
How are you feeling after the draining of your knee? Hope all is well. :loveshwr:
 
Hi Bonnie .... thanks so much for touching base with me. There's really no difference that I can tell with my knee. We're to have rain today so that makes my knee really "complain." Typical I think. He should have the results from the cultures today or tomorrow and then call me, but, this time I'll call him! No more waiting around. It sounds to me that no matter what it is - infection, or something else, I'll be having a replacement again.
Something strange happened when I was having the blood draw, the Phlebotomist told me that a "revision" was not a total replacement. What? I came home and re-read everything I had and it all said a revision was a total knee replacement again. Really confusing.
How is your knee since you had the revision? Do you notice a positive change? Can you tell me what a knee paste graft and Microfix is? I'm not familiar with those terms.
Thanks .... so good to hear from this morning. Take care.
abby
:fingersx:
 
Good Morning!@amberpep
A revision can be a spacer exchange, scar tissue removal, or a complete re do which is what I had.
Doing well overall, but the ups and downs are like a roller coaster ride.
Please call the office when the results are available, they usually culture over a period of time, so you will need to keep checking.
Paste graft: they bloody up the exposed bone, take cartilage from elsewhere smash it op, and paste it into the defect. Micro fracture, surgeon bloodies up the exposed bone with the hopes cartilage will grow back. Both techniques work better in younger people.
Rain gives my knee fits, at least the weathernam can let us know when rain is perdicted.
Have a massage scheduled for tomorrow, really looking forward to finally having a massage. It is with my regular guy, I have been going to him for 10 years, and will be glad to see him.
Hope your results get to the bottom of your troubled knee.
 
Rain gives my knee fits, at least the weatherman can let us know when rain is perdicted.
That is interesting---many others have said the same thing about rain and bad weather and their knees.

After my BTKR, the weather does not seem to bother me, ro whatever reason, I cannot figure out---not that I am complaining!
 
Oh, yes, yes, yes .... when it's going to rain my knee hurts like crazy. I dread getting out of a chair and having to move. My neighbor and I joke that we're better weather forecasters than the weather man. I had cartiledge removed before .... I think I'd rather have the whole thing redone. I want to be sure this is going to work as well as it seems to have for other people I know around here. I'm pretty tired of this messing around with it. I expect a call today from both my OS with the results of the cultures, and also my Opthalmologist about my eye. If I don't hear from them by 3, I'm calling them. I'll keep you updated on what they each say.
Take care and and be good to yourself.
abby
 
Good luck Abby! I have been trying to keep up with the posts please forgive me for not getting on here more!
 
Hi amberpep, a revision can be as simple as a spacer renewal or in my case the first time a patella button renewal and synovial sample to one or more metal component renewal. The worst case is a full replacement with the need for bone grafts with extra long stems ,sometimes done in two stages
 
Hi there friends ..... I just got a call from my Opthalmologist and he wants me to come in in an hour. Have not heard anything yet about the cultures of the knee and blood. If I don't hear by tomorrow I'll call the OS. I'm wondering if my OS will know what he's going to do before I go into the hospital. I have to make arrangements for someone to take me and pick me up, so I have to set something up. I can take a cab down, but it's the getting home part. And then there's the issue of my dog .... maybe I can see if my son can come over for her one evening and take her for awhile.
When something like this comes up, it's hard when you have no family around. But ... it is what it is. My son lives about an hour away and usually works til around 7.
abby
 
Glad the Opthalomologist is on top of things, does this mean you have to go to the hospital?
Keep us posted,
 
Glad to hear the ophthalmologist still has you in his plans. Please let us know what he says.
 
I think you are on good hands Abby! Let us know how you make out. Take things one at a time - we are here for you.
 
A bit of good news today .... I saw my Opthalmologist this afternoon and he examined my eye. It's still red but not quite as red as it was, and it's now itchy. He said that he thinks the cellulitis is definitely on the way out, and what's happening now is I've become allergic to one of the 3 eye drops given to me. So, I'm only to use 1 of them and see him next week. And ..... I got a call from my OS today, via voicemail as I was not home, and he said both cultures came back clean ..... no infection. He told me to call him, but that doesn't work for me ..... I'm going to make an appt. and go in and talk about what to do eye to eye.
abby
 
Good news on both fronts today, Abby! :yay::dancy:
 
Yea, I'm glad the cellulitis is clearing up .... after reading about what it can do in the eye, I was pretty nervous. It's not gone, but he thinks it's on the way out and I'm experiencing an allergic reaction now to one of the eyedrops I'm on. So, now I'm only on one.
Yes, I'm calling my OS tomorrow morning to set up an appointment to talk about this knee. I'm glad there's no infection, but something has to be done ..... I can't stay like this. Depending on what he says, I well may get that second opinion and compare them. He is going to consult with 2 of his colleagues who also specialize in hips, knees, and ankles and get their input and see if it lines up with his. I need to get back to exercising .... it's been since the original knee replacement and I feel like a little round ball of fat rolling around the floor! :heehee:
Thanks everyone .... talking to you all really helps.
abby
 
Abby,
I am glad to hear your OS is consulting with others, he is taking your knee pain seriously and knows something is not right.
I feel like a little round ball of fat rolling around the floor!
Me too!
 
You OS definitely sounds like he cares and is taking you seriously. Glad to hear it!

I was at my heaviest weight all time right before my tkr. Not much you can do when your knees are killing you. Since my surgery six months ago I have lost 20 lbs. just doing normal activities and no special diet. I have a ways to go but hopefully I will get there.

I stopped eating any sugar substitutes and went back to using sugar. Also tried to not eat anything with preservatives. That is it. After the first month I started losing a little weight at a time.

Moral of the story is get that knee fixed! I am amazed when I read Restassured's thread.

Take care Abby!
 
Yes, I feel comforted that he's bringing these two other specialists in on it. I don't know what he'll do now. I imagine it will involve some sort of surgery, but I don't know what. Guess I'll find out when I go in ..... I hope it's soon. Anyone have any ideas of what might come next?
Thank you all for your comfort and prayers ..... I don't know what I'd do without this forum. People who know what this is like, who have been there themselves ..... they are the best! And I thank you all!
abby
:bath: :bath: (each of you deserves a long, warm bath)
 
I was able to get an appointment with my OS on Monday afternoon. I have no idea what to expect since the bone scan showed a big black ball where the knee is. So, I don't know what could be wrong, I just want it GONE! I'd really love to whitewater raft again.
abby :kayak:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom