Revision TKR Still having difficulty .... from Amberpep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please take care of your eye Abby, we only get one set of those! Sight is precious, do whatever you need to do.

I hope that you get some good answers from your OS, and so glad you'll get a second opinion. I was sorry that I waited so long to get the second opinion. I'll never see my original OS again, if I did it would only be if I saw him by accident. I am sure that he does not know or care what happened to me, but it was my quality of life, or should I say lack of quality of life so instead of worrying about his feelings, (me seeing another doctor)...I got over that real fast when I could not live without pain. It's your life, now and always, take care of yourself first! Eyes and knees!!
 
Morning Pumpkin .... yes, my eye certainly isn't what it was .... no longer swollen and almost shut, but in the AM and PM it's still red and it feels funny. I'll call about 9:30 and see what he says. I sure don't want to go to the hospital for an IV antibiotic.
And, of course, this morning when I walked my "fur kid" ... my knee was giving me fits. Seems I'm always having to plan for something. With no family around, finding someone to take my dog and come in and take care of my cat can be a real problem. My kids all live away, my neighbors are too old to do any of this, and as much as I hate to say it .... my church is no help whatsoever.
Yes, I'm very nervous this morning. I'll let you know what my Opthamologist says. Please forgive me for my whining. I know others have it much worse than I.
abby
:scare:
 
Run A ..... you are so right. Why should I care about his feelings? He has so many patients, he won't even notice that I'm gone! Thanks for that reality check. I do tend to not want to hurt someone's feelings. But, for this? It IS my life and my knee (and eye), so I'll go where I think I'm getting the right and best treatment.
Again, many thanks. I need reality checks often.
abby
:bath:
 
Hope you get a good report from the eye Dr, and can avoid hospital.
I agree you need a second opinion, and go with the OS you have the best rapport.
 
Hope it goes well Abby! Sounds like your eye is improving. I had to look up orbital cellulitis and am glad you saw your doctor right away!
 
My Opthalmologist Rx-d eye drops. I'm glad about that as I've taken 3 rounds of antibiotics, and it's really done a number on my system. I really hope this takes care of it.
Now I'm anxious to get in to see my OS. Wish I could go today and see what he has to say. Their practice is so busy, it always feels rushed. I know that's just the way health care is going nowadays, but there are 10-12 Ortho. Surgeons in there, each with their own specialty. My doctor is knee and hips, others are wrists and hands, elbows and shoulders, etc. I really hope he can give me some answers. There is definitely something wrong, and I'm very tired of it. It's been over a year, admittedly because I waited too long to go. Did someone say something about the Stryker appliance? I seem to remember that, but don't remember specifics.
abby
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Abby, I hope your eye continues to improve! Hope you get in to see your OS soon, as well.
Hang in there! :console2:
 
Hi Celle ..... thanks for your note. I see my OS Monday afternoon. Also, my Opthalmologist is keeping a close watch on my eye and the orbital cellulitis. I've been through 3 rounds of antibiotic, 1 round of Prednisone, and am on my second type of antibiotic eye drops. I'm to call him on Monday. He actually called me at home Tuesday night to check on me.
abby
 
Abby,
You have a lot on your plate. I am impressed that the Opthalmologist called you and home, and happy that he is stayng on top of your eye.
Hoping your appointment with the OS goes well and you find answers to your knee pain and swelling.
Wishing you continued healing,
 
Hi Abby, you tagged me in Bonnie's thread. You said you'd had arthroscopic arthrolysis to remove scar tissue, but your knee hasn't been right since. Can you explain. Is the problem due to your fall or the scope. In what way is the knee different to how it was before? Pre scope it must have been bad too.

I'm trying to understand this procedure and get a picture of the pros and cons. Thanks for any info you can give me. Carol
 
Bonnie ....just want to be sure I'm on the right thread here. Is this yours or mine?
abby
 
This is your thread Abby


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Carol ..... good to meet you ..... this is the deal ..... in 2011 I had the RTKR. It went well and healed well and I felt great. After about a year it started feeling not so great, it was starting to hurt again, steps were a problem as was getting off of a chair or the toilet. I finally went into my OS, and they aspirated what they thought would be yellowish-clear fluid .... but it was blood. He gave me some sort of shot and told me to call in a week. That was just about the length of time the shot lasted. I called him and went in. The knee was huge compared to the other one. He said at the time, "I'm not sure what's going on in there, but I'm going to have to do some arthroscopic work to see and hopefully fix it that way." So, that's what he did. He cleaned out a whole lot of scar tissue. Then for a bit I was fine. Well, about 4 weeks afterwards, I fell in my kitchen, right on my knees .... OUCH! Since then it's been hurting, and about 3x the size of the other one .... again steps hurt, chairs, toilet, and it "clicks" when I bend it ..... if I wear an elastic brace on it, it feels better, more supported. I can't keep it in one position very long like to drive, or sitting in church. I have to move it to straighten it out, or bend it. So, now a few weeks ago I went for a bone scan and I will see him Monday to find out what's going on. My concern is that when I fell the prosthesis broke away from the glue holding it to the bone, and I will need a "revision" .... essentially a total re-doing. So, that's the story. Many on here, including Bonnie, have had revisions, so I feel like I've got a lot of company, if that becomes necessary.
Take care
abby
 
Bonnie .... I was delighted he called me at home also .... that's so unlike him. He's an excellent Opthalmologist, but I jokingly call him "Little Napoleon" as he's short and obviously believes "he's the best," which he may be, but it's sort of funny to watch him strut around. He is really keeping on top of this because it's very hard to get rid of and can lead to blindness in that eye and all sorts of stuff. I just found out that a girlfriend's brother in law has the same thing! And he had a sinus infection before it too! Two of us and I'd never heard of it before .... weird.
abby
 
"I'm not sure what's going on in there, but I'm going to have to do some arthroscopic work to see and hopefully fix it

Hi Abby, thanks for such a full report. Did you find out what the problem actually was? You mention that the OS removed scar tissue, but as things had been OK for a year previously, I'm guessing the problem was something else ??? The removal of the scarring was just something he did because he had the opportunity?

The fall was very bad luck. I suppose you will never know for sure if the knee would have got back to being good had it not been for the fall.

My OS has written to say that in his opinion arthroscopic arthrolysis is rarely successful and increases the risk of infection. I am in the process of getting a second opinion on my knee so will wait to see what he has to say about scopes.

I wish you well if you decide on a revision. Carol
 
Morning Carol ..... no, he actually gave me blow by blow pictures of the knee before, during, and after the scar tissue removal. There's about 12 circles of pictures on one page. You can see the difference between the before and after. When I next saw him I asked him if he thought this would happen again and he said that while some people are more prone to them than others, often the person has just started doing too much too soon after the TKR. I suspect that's what I did as I don't like sitting around.
I sure won't decide to have a revision unless it's absolutely necessary. That would be if the prosthesis has come loose from the glue and bone. Then I won't have much choice. I'll find out Monday when I see him and take the DVD in of the bone scan for him to look at. I don't particularly want to go through that again, but many others have and if it has to be, then let's go for it ASAP.
So, I'll know more by Monday, and I am also getting a second opinion before I do anything. The only way I wouldn't do that is if the separation of the appliance from the glue was so obvious even to me that there could be no doubt. Right now that's my plan though ..... a second opinion.
Take care and keep in touch.
abby
 
Bonnie ..... Hi there ..... I read the article you sent me and wow ..... that must really be painful. I can't imagine with all those muscles and ligaments attached to your knee .... just thinking about it hurts. Let me know what your doctor and Podiatrist say. I had never heard of that problem before.
I go to see my OS tomorrow, a disc of the bone scan in hand. So, we'll see. My eye seems to have gotten just so far and stopped. It's not swollen anymore, but in the AM when I get up it's bright red. That slowly fades so that by about 10 it's more normal ... just a little pink. I've been told that cellulitis, anywhere in the body takes a long, long, time to heal. So, we'll see.
Let me know how you make out tomorrow.
abby
 
Abby,
All the best tomorrow at your appointment. busylizzie, and kneeper too for their surgeries.
Wishing everyone all the best.
 
@amberpep here is your thread, bookmark it in your browser so you can find it.
Hope they find some answers in the samples they took.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom