MUA Stiffness - hard to do exercises

I did the same thing. I waited. My surgeon said he wanted me to start PT at 7-10 days post-op but I waited until 2 weeks. With my first TKR it was 3 weeks before I went to out-patient PT (I had someone come to my home a few times but they don't do that anymore) so I knew there was no rush. Not sure how I could have gone during that first week when I couldn't even lift my leg yet!

@Susie-Q I had 7 inhome PT visits that started as soon as I got out of the hospital. Actually one day later than they wanted since I was too sick from pain meds to allow them to come the first day, but they were there day 2. I found home PT to be very gentle and helpful. I got my confidence moving from walker to cane and doing stairs from my therapists. When I finally went outpatient week 3, there was a gentleman only one week out from surgery, at the clinic. He looked so miserable. I don't think I could have gotten dressed and in the car at that point. Going to clinic rather than home visits was his choice, no idea why. I saw him again while at therapy and he was crying out in pain. I felt so bad for him. I don't. think it was something they did, he was trying to get the recumbent bike.

Hello Everyone !
Days out and only 48 ROM on the knee.
The therapist is very nice but wants more from me.
My knee is so tight and swollen, but swell is getting much better. Black and blue from ankle to to top of thigh, back of leg
More uncomfortable than pain. Just that super stiff knee.
Thanks for listening folks. Have a great day !!!

Hang in there, the bend will come. Don’t let the PT force it.

@LINYKnee Hang in there! My first knee (in May) was a bit like yours. I had PT in the hospital the same day, and then PT in home 3x a week, and outpatient PT for 2 more weeks. My knee was so swollen it just did not want to bend. Any exercises the PT wanted me to do just made it angry and then for days I couldn't do anything. I really think that early and too aggressive PT sent my leg into neuropathy, which was finally diagnosed by a new, more gentle, PT that I finally found about 12 weeks after the surgery.

For my second knee (Nov 1st) I was determined that that wouldn't happen again. I have no idea if this knee would have gone more smoothly anyway, but this time I went home the same day as surgery (no PT) and even though I was instructed to schedule PT the day after surgery, I waited 10 days, went to see him once to get an evaluation and make a plan, and haven't been back since. I'll go back in a week or so just to make sure everything looks ok and get some advice on when to start strengthening. My bend is pretty good (on par with my first knee currently!), I've had very little swelling, and the only time this knee has gotten angry was when I overdid it....

All of this to say, just baby that knee, do only what feels OK, and get the swelling down as best you can with icing and elevation.

thank you. She tells me the doctor will be mad.
i laughed and said oh really ?
i said do you think I really care about what the doc says. Lol. Very stuff
He got his money. Lol

PS she wants me to do the full PT of eight exercises three times a day. She was here at noon for an hour and advised me to do the sets twice more

your thoughts ?

Personally, I wouldn't do any more today to wait and see how your knee feels this evening and overnight after that PT session. Then see how you feel tomorrow to decide whether it feels like you could do the exercises. I probably wouldn't do all 8 exercises 3x a day even if I felt good, though. Start off slow.

Way too early for that many exercises. She doesn‘t understand this recovery, only her protocol.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

I agree.
Glad You folks are here.
advice taken. My mistake it actually 10
Exercises
Also I don’t take any narcotics. My pain is controlled with Tylenol 650s - 6 in 24 hours.
i get some hot moments but nothing I can’t deal with. I only used the Oxy 10s for 24 hrs after surgery.
is there a reason I should take them ?

thanks again for all your responses. Means a lot

@LINYKnee
Hi I too used the other foot / leg as a crane to get my surgical leg off the bed. I also used a long fitted shawl wrapped underneath .. amazing what we find to use. All of a sudden the ability to move it without any help did come back though, but I to was worried about the leg falling as it felt so heavy! Actually
I think we become rather inventive during times like these.
All the best

Hello and thank you for your responses. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!
I’m eight days out. Minimal pain
Using 650 Tylenol’s , (2) every 8 hours. But the pressure and tightness around my knee and calf is sooo tight. How long before that’ changes a little ?
still doing my walking every two hours or so. Exercises , rest , ice and elevate on a schedule. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Greetings LINYKnee!
sorry about that… Trying to get back into how the posting works. I had my first TKR Feb 2020. I’m just a few days behind you for this one… Had it done on the 23rd. I see that you have already taken advantage of the great information and advice that Bonesmart members and facilitators offer. It was so helpful to me when recovering from the first one, knowing that what I was going through was normal. I also received great encouragement in those “dark days” that you run into now and then during this lengthy recovery which can be VERY frustrating at times.

Regarding that tight band feeling, with my first one it lasted for several months and was quite annoying. However, I reached out in the forum and found out that this is entirely normal. It was very reassuring. It did finally go away.

Everyone has been great !!! And thank
You very much for your response.

After today therapy, I had to take my first oxy since
Friday the 19th. Also not as mobile as I was before therapy. Seemed to be more swollen.
it’s a rollercoaster ride for sure!

Proof that all that “therapy” was not in your particular knee’s best interest. Imagine if you’d done all that 2 more times today. :yikes:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Yup take it easy. Sometimes less is best.

Booger

Good Morning ,
Had a rough session with PT more swollen this morning for sure.
Do I continue today with more PT on my own?
it’s seems counterproductive to do these when my leg is so swollen. Therapist is coming Monday Wed and Friday.
it seems to me that the swelling should be down before manipulating the leg with the exercises. Any input is helpful.
thank you

And, by the way, you are posting very well, in the right place! Well done!

Good morning. Thank you for your help on posting.

You think it’s best to cancelling ?
For how long ? Therapist tells me scar tissue will
form and I will need to go under anesthesia for a manipulation? Do I wait till swelling is gone ? Very unsure on what to do
Also that I could have a limp if I don’t push it, so i’m
told. Makes me feel like this a scare tactics.
The leg is swollen and sore and black and blue all over , and the tightness is intense.
Thank you again for all your help !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads