Guest viewing is limited

MUA Stiffness - hard to do exercises

Are compressions socks okay to wear long after the surgery? I couldn't wait to get rid of mine but found I rather like them because I feel like my leg swells when I'm on my feet awhile. So I started wearing them again.

But every so often I'd get a sharp pain at the top of the sock and wondered if maybe wearing it was not good for me overrall.
 
@montanagal Lots of people wear compression socks regularly. Especially on plane trips to reduce swelling. Not necessarily the same ones post surgery. You can buy ones that are quite as tight but still effective.
 
Hello and thank you for your responses. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!
I’m eight days out. Minimal pain
Using 650 Tylenol’s , (2) every 8 hours. But the pressure and tightness around my knee and calf is sooo tight. How long before that’ changes a little ?
still doing my walking every two hours or so. Exercises , rest , ice and elevate on a schedule. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
 
There are two reasons for the stiffness tightness.

Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

 
Wow. Thank you so much for the info. But will the big tightness decrease at a certain point ? Pressure is incredible.
 
Yes, it will decrease, but unfortunately I can’t tell you when, it’s different for each of us.

Make sure you are not overdoing the exercises or ADLs ( activities of daily living)

And, be sure to ice and especially elevate, most of the time. That will help.
 

 
Thank you.
ice often, 8-10 times daily. Iwon’t over do it. And don’t over exceed the daily stuff. Any advice about getting in and out of bed ?
Now I’m using my right foot under my left leg ankle and using it as a crane to get my left leg in the bed. Do the same for getting out of bed. If I knew more I would have purchased a good recliner to sleep in. Right left gets tired doing this and Acadian I may drop the left. All nerve racking.
 
Some of our members use some sort of leg lifter, some used the tie of a bathrobe, which, to be honest, in could never imagine how they did that :heehee:.

I didn’t need any of those as my husband was always ready to help me get my leg on the bed until I could myself. By about 2 weeks, I could do it myself.
 
Hi LINYKnee, I had a pair of loose pants so I was able to grab a fold it two of that to lift the leg for the period of time I needed to… I also tried a yoga strap that I happened to have around, too, but the pant leg worked better… it’s a short period of time then suddenly, the leg muscle (quadriceps) suddenly remembers how to work again!
 
Thank you very much for your info. I really appreciate it.
have a great day !
 
Hello any advise on doing exercises with extreme right across kneecap and thigh? 9 days out
 
Just do the easy exercises that you like. You just need to give your knee movement.


By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I don’t know why I’m doing wrong with the thread
Sorry
 
@LINYKnee When you want to post about your recovery, find your recovery thread and scroll down to the reply box, just like you did above. Are you having trouble finding your recovery thread?

Don‘t start a new post. Check out the following photos:

5ED05F9A-372F-4E08-ABB4-657A8D6CFF4C.jpeg
FE7F6C76-C2CC-4214-9B17-AC2ECCF824D0.jpeg
 
Thank you so much for your response. I’ve heard so many horror stories about PT. It scares me.
my surgery was on Nov. 17th.
At what point do I tell the PT to take it easy and back off? All I hear is how important it is to move and bend that knee. It’s all over a lot to take in and confusing at times.
thank you once again. Greatly appreciated

I am a week ahead of you. My RTKR was Nov 10. I was the victim of aggressive PT when I had my LTKR In 2019 which slowed my recovery. This time I took charge of my PT and had my first PT nine days following surgery rather than rushing in for an appointment. I made it clear there would be no forced bending of my knee. No piling weights on my knee. No leg presses or stationary bike riding. These “treatments“ last time would set me back leaving me nearly unable to walk.

With the gentle walking and stretching at home, my ROM measured 111 and 4 and the PT said I was ahead of the game and keep doing what I am doing. I am meeting with him a couple more times mainly just to check my progress and I love the ice machine they have.

This recovery method is so much better than my PT torture 2 years ago. It feels good when I bend my leg. I enjoy sitting in a rocking chair doing my heel slides. It doesn’t have to hurt to have progress.
 
Hello any advise on doing exercises with extreme right across kneecap and thigh? 9 days out

I like to sit in my rocking chair and do heel slides. I think your swelling will go down as you heal and so long as you are only doing gentle PT. I am a week ahead of you and am really not doing much exercise other than walking, heel slides, and some leg lifts. My swelling has gone down and I have good ROM.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom