Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Steve’s Recovery Thread

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am now five months post op on right hip and two months on the left so feel that I should be further down the road.
Still early days for both hips. And don't forget (how could you) that you had 2 major surgeries in a short space of time. Ease off all the activity, ice and rest. This will all settle given the chance.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
United States United States
My L was done almost 2 years ago and I sometimes get a slight butt pain. It was a lingering pain past the 3 mo mark and it was quite some time before I could carry my wallet in my left rear pocket. Now 2 mos in on my right I have a different type of butt pain. Mine is pronounced when I try and put my right sock on, it's like a pull from my butt down the back of my upper rear thigh. If I sit in a car seat for prolonged times it gets irritated down my leg. It's not pleasant but all I can do is work with it and wait. I do more stretching than any physical exercises.
As far as Piriformis goes ask your surgeon if it was released.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Belated Happy Anniversary wishes on those two hips. Five months, Righty and two months, Lefty.
I hope the rest you're taking is bringing you some relief. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We do care.
Have a great week!
@Somsteve

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Somsteve Sorry to catch up on your thread and read about the butt pain.. have you considered asking the PT to so some soft tissue manipulation? If they don't do that, then maybe a massage with a good massage therapist?
that helped me tremendously in the 4-8 weeks span when I was still healing and also increasing my activities and walks.
Just a thought. Take care.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Somsteve

Somsteve

Country
Sorry I haven’t responded to the last couple of posts. I’m still not getting email notifications of new posts. I’m still getting pain in both hips on the outside which is aggravated by exercise. I really don’t know what to do. I know that I need to keep moving but even the most gentle exercise makes the pain worse. Could it be bursitis? My Physio has discharged me as he says I am doing really well on my own and that the pain will go in time but I’m really fed up with it. My movement is fine and I can walk without sticks or support but the nagging pain is constant. Thanks everybody for your help and support, I really do appreciate it.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
With my left the outer side of my thigh remained sore for a long time. Walking uphill or downhill really strained it and made it sore. My right is similar but the soreness is higher up the side of my thigh if I strain it. I don't do any exercises that strain it or make it sore. I stil have tightness if I put my sock and shoe on with my knee bent but it's getting better. I experience the pain going away in time with my left so I know it will take time with my right.
Are you icing it when it's sore? I'm on ice as I type this.

OP
OP
Somsteve

Somsteve

Country
Hi Eman85, thanks for your reply. Strangely I have never found icing to be particularly helpful, I don’t know why when everyone seems to find it works. I am still not able to reach my feet to put shoes and socks on without stiffness and pain. I know I have to be patient but it’s hard!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing over the past two weeks, Steve?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Enjoy the rest of the week. :)
@Somsteve

OP
OP
Somsteve

Somsteve

Country
Hi Layla, Thanks for your message, I’m still not getting email notifications of new posts. I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau. I have low level pain in both hips all the time. Pain doesn’t increase with walking and PT but a few hours after exercising and the following day I am in quite a lot of pain. I have a group meeting with Physios at the hospital that did my surgery tomorrow so will raise it with them then. I’m sure I’m heading in the right direction but would really like to be more agile than I am now.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
If your pain is increasing after you're walking, you don't say how far, and PT, my first thought is your hips are saying we're not quite ready for this much activity. Just a thought.

And a lot of the time we don't hurt until we stop.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Somsteve One thing that is common with a hip replacement recovery is that while you are exercising you most likely won't feel that you are overdoing things.
It's a few hours later that the hip will begin to complain.
When that happens it's best to think about what you did exercise wise and scale it back.
I'm wondering about your meeting with the PT's , did it go okay? What did they recommend for you?
Wishing for you an easier week without the aches and pains.

OP
OP
Somsteve

Somsteve

Country
Meeting with PTs was interesting. It was a group session so good to compare progress with others. No new information really, just the usual ‘everything is normal, you’re doing really well, got to be patient’ Seems like my ongoing pain may be due to sciatic nerve damage from surgery which should sort itself out helped by stretching exercises. Regards to all, keep smiling!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Well that is a good update! Gentle stretching can be a good thing, too.
Slow, gentle and easy are tops in my vocabulary these days..:yes:
Have a great remainder of your week,, and, I can't believe that February is almost over!

Eman85

post-grad
Country
@Somsteve It's good to hear you got the everything is normal got to be patient report. I have problems with the patience part, actually better at it than last time. I'm slowly trying to go back to my normal life but I seem to pay the price for it. I have always been a physical worker especially in my time off when I worked a job. If I get out and start doing a fair amount of outdoor work or even work in my shop and lift too much or get into odd positions working on cars I pay the price. It's hard to take so many breaks when I'm trying to accomplish something but I know it's the best way. I still have a pulling feeling when putting on my socks also, it's better but still there.

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Meeting with PTs was interesting. It was a group session so good to compare progress with others.
I don't see how this is a good thing. It seems some may feel disappointed by others being further along. We know we're not to compare recoveries since we all heal at different rates, for varying reasons.

At three months out if you're noticing pain after walking or engaging in PT, before I'd assume its damage to the sciatic nerve, I'd step away from PT for a few weeks and scale back the walking. It's worth a try, you'll have noting to lose but the pain, hopefully. :fingersx:

I wish you well. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.
Happy Wednesday! :wave:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Steve!
I hope you’re doing well? Tell us something good, make us smile in these crazy days we‘re navigating.
Best wishes only....hope to hear from you soon. :)
@Somsteve

OP
OP
Somsteve

Somsteve

Country
Hi Layla, Nothing good to report I’m afraid. Currently in lockdown at home and bored to tears! Still on the long road to recovery. Still got low level pain in both hips which is worsened by exercise. Was due to go on holiday to Italy this Saturday but, obviously, that’s cancelled. Booked to go on holiday to Greece in June but that looks unlikely. So all quite depressing but trying to keep positive

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I think many of us have the lockdown blues. The highlight of my day is taking the dog for a walk.. Spring has arrived early in our area and it's so nice to get out and breathe in some fresh air.

Having a trip canceled sounds really depressing, for sure, and then Greece in June? I think you are right to be concerned about that one, too.
It's still so unbelievable that we, are going through this in our different countries.

You still have several months before you hit the 1 year mark with your hips.. lots of healing still going on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob Stiff Knee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom