• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Steve’s Recovery Thread

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am now five months post op on right hip and two months on the left so feel that I should be further down the road.
Still early days for both hips. And don't forget (how could you) that you had 2 major surgeries in a short space of time. Ease off all the activity, ice and rest. This will all settle given the chance.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
United States United States
My L was done almost 2 years ago and I sometimes get a slight butt pain. It was a lingering pain past the 3 mo mark and it was quite some time before I could carry my wallet in my left rear pocket. Now 2 mos in on my right I have a different type of butt pain. Mine is pronounced when I try and put my right sock on, it's like a pull from my butt down the back of my upper rear thigh. If I sit in a car seat for prolonged times it gets irritated down my leg. It's not pleasant but all I can do is work with it and wait. I do more stretching than any physical exercises.
As far as Piriformis goes ask your surgeon if it was released.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Belated Happy Anniversary wishes on those two hips. Five months, Righty and two months, Lefty.
I hope the rest you're taking is bringing you some relief. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We do care.
Have a great week!
@Somsteve

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Somsteve Sorry to catch up on your thread and read about the butt pain.. have you considered asking the PT to so some soft tissue manipulation? If they don't do that, then maybe a massage with a good massage therapist?
that helped me tremendously in the 4-8 weeks span when I was still healing and also increasing my activities and walks.
Just a thought. Take care.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Somsteve

Somsteve

Country
Sorry I haven’t responded to the last couple of posts. I’m still not getting email notifications of new posts. I’m still getting pain in both hips on the outside which is aggravated by exercise. I really don’t know what to do. I know that I need to keep moving but even the most gentle exercise makes the pain worse. Could it be bursitis? My Physio has discharged me as he says I am doing really well on my own and that the pain will go in time but I’m really fed up with it. My movement is fine and I can walk without sticks or support but the nagging pain is constant. Thanks everybody for your help and support, I really do appreciate it.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
With my left the outer side of my thigh remained sore for a long time. Walking uphill or downhill really strained it and made it sore. My right is similar but the soreness is higher up the side of my thigh if I strain it. I don't do any exercises that strain it or make it sore. I stil have tightness if I put my sock and shoe on with my knee bent but it's getting better. I experience the pain going away in time with my left so I know it will take time with my right.
Are you icing it when it's sore? I'm on ice as I type this.

OP
OP
Somsteve

Somsteve

Country
Hi Eman85, thanks for your reply. Strangely I have never found icing to be particularly helpful, I don’t know why when everyone seems to find it works. I am still not able to reach my feet to put shoes and socks on without stiffness and pain. I know I have to be patient but it’s hard!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing over the past two weeks, Steve?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Enjoy the rest of the week. :)
@Somsteve

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Elphie
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom