THR Steve’s Recovery Thread

@Somsteve Your surgery date is fast approaching! I hope the remaining time to wait goes easy for you and know that we are here rooting for you.
I think and really hope that getting the other hip replaced will aid in a more balanced recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
Hey @Somsteve
Wishing you all best tomorrow.
Hopefully you're getting some sleep by now with the time difference between us. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow and look forward to following your healing journey as it continues.
Double hippy coming right up! :happydance:
 
All the best tomorrow @Somsteve
Last one and you can be on your way to getting your life back.
Bye bye hip pain.:yes!:
 
Wishing you the best for tomorrow, may your surgery be quick, easy and pain free as possible. Hope you're getting some good rest tonight, drop us a line once you're feeling up to it! :sleep: :praying:
 
Hello @Somsteve :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Happy Four Month Anniversary today for Righty.
And you're only days away from your One Month Anniversary for Lefty.
How are you doing? We'd love to hear how both new hips are doing. Please consider posting next time you're on the forum. If we don't hear from you before Christmas, I hope yours is a good one. :santa-dance:

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hi Layla and fellow ‘Hippies’. Can’t believe it’s four months since ‘righty’ was done. Everything is fine with that one and progressing well but ‘Lefty‘ has been very different. I have had severe pain problems despite X-rays showing nothing wrong surgically. Now nearly four weeks out and things seem to be back on track but, perhaps not as far along the road as I would like. Pain is now manageable and I am able to walk short distances without crutches. No longer need Oramorph and trying to cut down on Dihydrocodeine. Hope all is well with you all, can’t stress enough how helpful this forum has been. Hope everyone has a good Christmas and look forward to more good news in new year
 
Hi @Somsteve
Happy holidays!:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
Sorry that your other hip is giving you a problem.
Have you thought about PT at this point to have someone possibly analyze your gait or target the issue and see if there is something that can help?
Don't want to see this hold you back from enjoying your new hip.:banana-santa:
 
Hi Mojo, thanks for your reply. Yes I am having PT although the pain has limited my ability to exercise. The general consensus is that it is ‘just one of those things’ and I should try to keep moving without overdoing things and causing extra pain. It’s so difficult finding the happy medium.
 
Can anyone please advise how I set up my account to receive e-mail notifications when new posts are received? Thanks.
 
Could be just readjustment niggles...
I saw steady improvement up to one year.
I found I also had to toss most of my preop shoes ...bad gait creates wear pattern that caused some issues for me.
Heres a link you can click on.
Regarding alerts, go into your account and look under Preferences
 
All the right boxes seem to be ticked but I still don’t seem to receive e-mail notifications?
 
:scratch: I will try to get an admin to look at it.
 
Do check back so we can update you on a resolution for this.
Hope the weather is letting you get out and about some...
It is going to be absolutely perfect weather in my neck of the woods today...Sunny and low 60s so I'm sure to be Outside!!
 
@Somsteve I checked your profile and everything looks good. Just remember that when one person posts after you have posted on a thread you will get one notification. Unless you go back to that thread again you won't receive a notification of new content.
Now nearly four weeks out and things seem to be back on track but, perhaps not as far along the road as I would like.
After both my THRs I found the 4 week mark very frustrating. I call this on one month slump. Changes are fairly dramatic in the first weeks. Then it seems everything slows to a crawl. Fear not - there is still lots of healing going on. Slow and steady - you'll get there.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you're doing well.
Only days now until Christmas and then the New Year will be upon us. It's going to be a great one for you with two new strong hips. :happydance:
Have a great end to the week!
@Somsteve
 
Thankyou Layla, everything is going quite well. Struggling a bit to stop taking dihydrocodeine. Must be patient
 
Well, I seem to have hit a brick wall! Things seemed to be going well but I have now developed quite severe pain in both hips (mainly buttock area). My Physio says this is quite normal and that I am doing very well but I’m not convinced. I had weaned myself off dihydrocodeine successfully but have now had to start taking occasional Tramadol to settle this new pain which is disappointing. Physio says rest for a few days until pain abates and then start gentle exercise again but I feel guilty doing nothing. I am now five months post op on right hip and two months on the left so feel that I should be further down the road. Any advice/suggestions very welcome. I’m struggling to stay positive!
 
Hi @Somsteve
Sorry you are so frustrated...these recovery niggles do crop up, especially when we become more active it seems.
Wondering if your daily activities or exercises have caused some piriformis issues?
Here's an article that has loads of information. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome-a-pain-in-the-butt.9837/
Physio says rest for a few days until pain abates and then start gentle exercise again but I feel guilty doing nothing
I think your PT is very smart as there are many who arent as conservative and rest is the best.
I love this tidbit from my fellow staff member
When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.

I am now five months post op on right hip and two months on the left so feel that I should be further down the road.
Try not to be discouraged...how it is is not how it will be and there lots of healing happening...and will be up to one year.
Keep the faith, friend.:friends:
 
Hi Mojo333 and thanks for your prompt reply. I think the Piriformis Syndrome is quite likely to be my problem and I will follow it up. It’s funny how having some sort of diagnosis always makes you feel better, so thanks for that I love the ‘dossing around’ definition. It really cheered me up
 
Back
Top Bottom