MUA Steelergal's Recovery Thread

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'll just keep doing what I can and hope my ROM continues to improve after the first year!
That is possible.
One of our members, Campervan, found at 6 years post-op that her ROM had continued to increase. This is her record of slow, but steady, improvement:

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "

OP
OP
Steelergal

Steelergal

Country
United States United States
Hi @Celle! Yes, I've seen this a few times. And it's encouraging, but way different from my experience. I wasn't even close to 92 degrees until almost 4 months post-op and after an MUA. And then I've SLOWLY gotten a bit better, but now at 10 months, I am only at roughly 105 (where she was at 10 weeks!) when I'm warm and stretched, and that's been the case for the last few months. I just can't seem to move forward and have it "stick" so I can continue to progress. But I'm trying not to give up hope!

And to be honest, I don't even care anymore what my ROM gets to. I just want to walk down stairs like a normal person. That's all I want!

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I totally hear that! I am in the same boat-while I've never had my ROM measured, my OS eyeballed it at 90 degrees tops at my last visit. I want to ride my bike, swim and go up and down stairs like an adult! But, your ROM can still improve, and likely will as time goes on. Because I'm at 2 years, and my knee is still swollen for some unknown reason, it won't improve. But, you still have plenty of time for improvement, so don't give up hope.

OP
OP
Steelergal

Steelergal

Country
Since today is my 1-year anniversary, I figured I'd share a short update. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! There's really not much that's new, my knee is still being very stubborn and not wanting to bend past about 105 degrees. I'm still struggling to go down stairs (the only thing left that I care about!). It is stronger (I walk 4-5 miles almost every day and have started using the elliptical regularly), but still pretty stiff. I'm also still struggling with the nerve pain and sensitivity, which is annoying, but not horrible. I saw my OS yesterday and he said the implant looks great and he's not concerned. He said I should continue to improve ROM (even though nothing has improved for months) and suggested I continue to try desensitizing the scar area. I don't have to go back to him for 5 years (unless I have questions or need something).

I asked him why I still "feel" the implant and if that was normal (I don't feel my hip hardware at all and doing think about them at all). He told me that the hip is "the forgotten joint" and knees are different. With the hip, about 90% never think about it after it's been replaced, but with the knee, that number is only 30%. So, I guess I'll always have a reminder of this surgery. However, with all of the issues I've had over the past year, I'm still glad I had the knee replaced. The constant pain is gone, the nerves should heal with enough time, and maybe someday it will decide to start bending!

Schaargi

Country
@Steelergal - Just curious... What are you doing to work on your range of motion? My mom is at a year with similar problems and I am curious as to what others are doing. Shes been doing the same exercise for a year and isn't improving. She lays down with her butt toward the wall, puts her foot up, and slides the foot down until she feels resistance.

OP
OP
Steelergal

Steelergal

Country
Hi @Schaargi, I'm still doing my exercises (heel slides, wall slides, sit on the edge of a chair and scoot forward a bit, but leave my foot in place, etc.). None of that seems to make any difference for me. I'm also walking 3-5 miles a day and recently started using the elliptical (I'm hoping that loosens me up a bit). Unfortunately, I do not have a stationary bike at my house because I think that's one of the best things to keep the knee loose. I have a set of floor pedals, but it's not the same thing. I also make myself try to walk down stairs foot over foot at least once a day to see if that helps (so far nothing). I try to work on gentle stretches for my quads and hamstrings to keep them loose.

I wish I had more answers about what exercises would improve my ROM because then I'd do those every day! It's supremely frustrating to do all the "right" things and still have lousy ROM. If anyone has any other tips about what exercises can help, I'm ALL EARS!!!

When I saw my OS last week, he said it could still be some scar tissue or it could be my super tight muscles (they were a mess pre-surgery). He's not at all concerned and said I could still see improvement for another year or two. I'm skeptical because I haven't had any improvement in MONTHS no matter what I try (with or without PT). I haven't given up yet, but I'm not super hopeful that it will get much better either. :(

Schaargi

Country
Hi @Steelergal!

So sorry! Much of that is what my mom is doing. She has a bike, also. Nothing seems to improve it but she's afraid to stop in case it really was working. Maybe someone here will have some suggestions. Going down stairs is definitely the part that is frustrating to her. Good luck!

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@Steelergal - Just curious... What are you doing to work on your range of motion? My mom is at a year with similar problems and I am curious as to what others are doing. Shes been doing the same exercise for a year and isn't improving. She lays down with her butt toward the wall, puts her foot up, and slides the foot down until she feels resistance.
Hi, @Schaargi
We’d love to help your mom, please start a thread for/with her so we can talk with her.

Poctdb

senior
Country
@Steelergal
Have you tried any acupuncture? You might eant to chat with a practitioner to see if the think they can help. Just an idea....

OP
OP
Steelergal

Steelergal

Country
Hi @Poctdb, how are you doing? I haven’t tried acupuncture, but had a few sessions of dry needling at my PT office. I also tried cupping but that didn’t seem to make a difference. Unfortunately, the pandemic hit and i haven’t had any treatment since March. It’s definitely something I’ll think about.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom