Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Stage Two Revision Completed

@sistersinhim Thank you for the walker idea! I have a walker, with wheels but no seat . But maybe I can find a shelf or seat that will attach to it .
 
Last edited:
We attached a plastic basket from a dollar store to the front of my dad’s walker using zip ties. He could transport his newspaper, a drink with a lid, a dish with a meal etc.
 
I'm sure that God will know who arizonaone is.
@Madbkseller My friend, trust me that God already knows who arizonaone is! He Knows Everything!

after my pain Dr told me he'd be stopping me cold turkey 2 weeks before surgery as it would help my recovery. I was unable to find ANY evidence of his theory on Google.
Never heard of such a thing!
to those who live alone how did you do once you came home from the hospital? What about icing with a cryo sleeve? I'm afraid I won't be able to fill it continuously and drag it to my bedroom. Will peas/ice bags work just as well?
I suggest you read this article from the Forum Library Ice to control pain and swelling.
I have a walker, with wheels but no seat . But maybe I can find a shelf or seat that will attach to it .
And this one Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home!
 
Wow, I have been out of the loop. (I got logged out of the BoneSmart app on my phone - can't remember my password - can't find how to retrieve it - have to remember to check on my laptop where I stay logged in - nothing compared to your issues) What a mess you have been through. I can't agree more on some of the things that have been posted about the FL pain med law (a clear sign of politicians thinking they know more than experts), the tendency of health-care professionals to ignore what a patient knows about his/her own body, the gross lack of communication skills that some VERY smart talented doctors have. Since today is Tuesday, I am hoping that you had surgery, that the results were good, and you are not in too much pain. I will continue to pray for you, and be more intentional about checking up to see how you are. And I think your mother and mine might be related!
 
Update:

Had my surgery yesterday after a 3 hour delay. Can you imagine? Between Wednesday and yesterday I am so done with this hospital. Still waiting for the guest relation person to appear in my room after I was told yesterday she would be.

Surgery went well according to my OS and his PA who came in before him. And I know it did. I can feel a huge difference with my knee between my initial TKR and this revision.

I think the nerve block is starting to wear off though as the last doshe of Percocet did nothing and they had to give me torodol as well. It’s helping but I still have some pain. Guess that’s normal.

I did speak to my OS before surgery. He said that while he cannot guarantee that my infection is gone he was confident based on the cultures from the aspirate that I didn’t have an infection. He did however put antibiotic beds around the implant just in case a cell was missed.

As far as antibodies in blood he told me that my ID dr would be a better person to speak to about that. When I called her and my hematologist were n Monday morning I was told they may not get back to me til the end of the day. So as it turned out I never did speak to them.

However, another dr from my ID drs group came to seee today. She explained everything very well and told me antibodies in my blood don’t necessarily mean an infection. They could come from inflammation etc. she also made a valid point that I of course never thought about. I could have had antibodies before my July surgery but the hospital may have had the blood i needed in the blood bank and therefore I would have never known that I had antibodies. As there would have been no need to tell me.

My OS has been great. So I’m going to chalk up his recent attitude to a couple of really bad days.

Lastly he told me he got my knee to 100 rom on table but I’ll probably never get above a 100 degree bend ( due to scar tissue and previous surgeries) so I’ll never be a yoga teacher again. Told him i didn’t like that job anyway lol.
Seriously though he told me I will be able to do steps, walk etc. Alsso said he could have lengthened something- can’t remember what in order to increase the ROM but it would have caused a limp. I would much rather only have a 100 rom than a limp. So I’ll take it.

@Josephine Thank you so much for sending out those recovery articles. Great suggestions in there. Really appreciate it!

@MathProf I was out of the loop for a long time as well. Couldn’t deal with anything outside of my little world. So no worries about checking in. I always thought of my fellow bonesmarties with infections and you of course we’re always one of them.

I feel a little better knowing that I’m not alone with the mom issues

You just had your revision surgery didn’t you? ( I thought I had red a recent post from you. If not I apologize.) Hope you are doing well and infection free? And thank you so much for your prayers
 
Last edited:
@arizonaone ,
I'm pleased to hear that most of your concerns were addressed and you have had the surgery.
It sounds as if things are going better for you. :thumb: :flwrysmile:

Here is the post-op reading, to refresh your memory:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
It’s great to hear from you, I’ve been watching for you! I hope and pray all will be well and you’re on your way with a “normal” recovery! :console2:
 
@Celle Thank you for sending the articles along. While I had seen them on others threads I never read them because I wasn’t at that point really at the time.

But now I am and will certainly have the tune to do so. :loveshwr:
 
Good news that you are through the surgery and doing well!
 
So glad to hear all went well!

After my infection surgery my OS said he’d be happy if I reached a ROM/flexion of 90 degrees. At that point I was just trying to get through a day. But after 4 weeks in an immbolizer and non-aggressive PT after that, I was able to get a full rotation on the bike after a few weeks of rocking the pedals back/forth. I let out a squeal that day!

Try not to let his predictions bother you. For right now concentrate on recovering from surgery,
 
@KarriB It sounds like the limited ROM is a potential side effect if an infection. I thought it was just me.

Thank you for your words of wisdom . - I’m going to try for the best ROM I can achieve. But I’m nit going to allow the therapist to be aggressive sn trying to get an increasingly better ROM
 
I agree with KarriB that you shouldn't worry about your potential for ROM. It may be that your surgeon only was able to get 100 degrees on the table, but you need to also allow that your knee may have had some swelling that could eventually get resolved, allowing a bit more movement. Functionality is the main thing anyway. Yes, you might not be a yoga instructor. But, you know that old saying....when one door closes, another is opened! Keep your eyes and your heart open for new things to enjoy in life. You won't be in pain, so that alone should make life so much better once you're through your recovery. No one really knows what your knee will be capable of. As you go through your recovery, share with us each of your small milestones. You know we love the chance to celebrate with our members!!

Congratulations on getting where you are today.
 
By the way, @arizonaone , would you like us to change your thread title for you? You've now moved on from the antibiotic spacer insertion.
 
@Jamie Totally makes sense about the swelling in the OR. So it is definitely possible that my ROM will improve as the swelling goes duwn. My only concern is that my knee has been swollen for years. From when I fell in 2014, through my atthroscopies and obviously continuing through all my subsequent surgeries. I guess it bay just take a lot longer to heal.

Btw- I’m NOT a yoga instructor. My OS was just kidding. I guess trying to get the message across that my knee will never be the same.

@Celle - yes please! How about stage 2 -revision?
 
So glad to hear that things look better today. My OS did a 1 stage revision on June 4, so my ID has kept me on antibiotics ever since. I see both OS and ID on Friday - waiting for yesterday's blood test results. Hubby and I walked last night for 5 minutes more than we had been doing, and I am paying for that today, so I must be FIRM with him about how we must increase SLOWLY....and slowly for him, isn't slowly for me! My mom was the youngest of 12, and she never got over being the 'star' of the show! And my, could she hold a grudge. At 90 she was still mad at one of her brothers for not helping her financially when she was 18 so she could go to college! That is a long time to be angry. She had bad knees too (I inherited from her misplaced kneecaps - long story, but funny) and she complained my whole life about how badly she hurt. In order to not turn into my mom, I have decided not to complain about pain - which as it turned out, probably meant I had the infection for a lot longer than most people would have before they threw a fit. Oh, well.
Hang in there, nowhere to go but up, now!!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom