Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Stage Two Revision Completed

I think it would be a good idea to get that calf pain checked, to make sure it's not a DVT. Let your surgeon know or go to the ER.
 
@Celle . Really? Back to the ER again? They're are so tired of seeing me. I'm afraid of what they will think. Like here's that crazy lady again . lol .I'll call my OS in the morning.

Thank you
 
No one will think you're crazy. And those folks at the ER get paid whether you're there or not. I agree with Celle that you need to have it checked out if it hurts to put pressure on it.
 
A nurse camevto my home today to “admit” me for home health care so that I can have in home PT. I told her about my calf hurting me and she examined it and asked how much pain I was in. I told her it felt very very sore. But since it wasn’t excruciating or hot and red she said that I didn’t have a dvt but of course to pay attention. She also said that if it was a dvt iI wouldn’t be able to touch it because the pain would be really intense.

But even more concerning was what started to happen Friday night. I began having non stop cold sweats with chills and some dizziness. I didn’t think anything of it and want to sleep. I woke up Saturday and felt ok. However as the day went on the cold sweats and chills returned.

When the nurse came I mentioned it to her. As part of her visit she took my vitals and found my BP to be bordering on dangerously low. So she told me to drink alot of fluids and then took it again before she left. It was still very low but she said it was not something to be overly concerned about.

And here’s the screwed up thing while I was in the hospital my BP kept slowly decreasing and the one taken right befote I left was really low for me I said something to the nurse to that affect but she said nothing. Moreover they had a record of every BP taken and had to know it kept getting lower. But apparently no one was alarmed enough to tell me to monitor it closely when I got home.

And this morning I woke up again feeling the same way. I’m really not happy with the care I received at the hospital this time.

Going to call my PCP in the morning
 
Last edited:
Please let us know what your PCP says.
 
Before I call my OS I want to make sure that what I'm experiencing is not " normal" . Yesterday I noticed that my shin was really painful when I put any weight on it. Today it has gotten progressively worse. I can barely walk, am in alot of pain and I feel like something is moving around in the tibia area. Also the lateral side of my knee has become painful and feels wierd.

Should I call my Dr or is this pain and movement normal after a tkr? After my first one my pain was coming from my entire knee and thigh (from the tourniquet which was normal) I'm hesitant.to do so because he will most likely want to see me and I literally will not be able to walk to the car and he doesn't make house calls. :-(

I called my PCP late this morning about my BP and still waiting for a call back but all my sweats disappeared . That's a good thing and I'm hoping he won't want to see me either
 
@arizonaone - Stop delaying and phone you surgeon about your calf pain and your other symptoms.
It's not good enough to be told by a nurse that you don't have a DVT. Your surgeon needs to know and he may require an ultrasound scan to confirm whether or not it is a DVT.
He also needs to know about the shin pain, and the low blood pressure.
 
@ Celle- .TY. I just did.

I was really hesitant to because after I had my first tkr I was in alot of pain and when I called to tell them they told me it was only a couple of weeks out and pain is to be expected. When I told my OS at my 6 week follow up that I was still in alot of pain he told me he would be concerned if it was 6 months not 6 weeks . I felt like he wasn't really taking me seriously and I was kind of bothering him . Based on what transpired he should have

So, I didn't call the OS who did this surgery because I didn't want to be labeled a complainer a week out from surgery. I know- ridiculous, right.
 
Do I received a call from one of my doctor's PA.

She said that the pain I'm having is totally normal and that revision tkr's are very hard recovery wise and very painful .

She did not seem overly concerned about any of my pain or my low blood pressure and said I should feel better after my first PT session bin Wednesday .

Actually, she didn't seem like she was concerned about anything . This is why I don't like calling Drs about pain. Why should I have to live with it? And she had no suggestions for me being unable to walk. Unbelievable .
 
@arizonaone, I know you are tired and scared and in pain but the OS's office needs to document all this in your chart in case something more developes. Be sure you are eating and getting plenty of fluids to get your BP up!
 
It's your surgeon's responsibility to check that you are all right. He is responsible for your after-care. He has a duty of care for his patients.
That's what he gets paid the big bucks for.

Don't worry about being labelled a complainer. You have valid complaints and you do need to be pro-active for your own health's sake.
How would you feel if you did have a DVT, you ignored it, and it gave you a clot in your lungs?

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you are paying your surgeon, whether directly or through your insurance. He works for you, not the other way round. You need to report to him any health problems associated with your knee and he has a duty and responsibility to check them out. End of lecture!
 
@Cementless I would hope that my chart will be documented but who knows if it actually will be .

Yes, I'm trying to drink lots of fluids and a friend of mine brought me dinners for at least a week that he cooked and froze and brought to me the day he took me to the hospital for surgery. So sweet.

Thank you for caring, cementless . Wish I didn't have to be alone .makes it so much harder .
 
@arizonaone, besides calling the OS's office, do you have a Pt. Portal you can email questions to your OS? That is one way to know if it gets documented in your chart.

It's scary to be alone. At least I can take it out on my husband!!!:snork: He has been getting an earful lately!

Btw: I could not find that cute ice icon....but be sure and ice and elevate for pain. Sometimes, I watch mindless movies. :friends:
 
@Celle You are 100% right! I'm unhappy that the PA (one who I never really speak with) did not seem at all concerned that I could barely walk. I guess she called me because I saw her in the hospital and she is the surgical PA.

Yes, if I had a DVT I would be screaming at my OS for his lack of care .You are correct- I need to advocate for my self and renember that HE works for ME

If revisions are so hard why did my OS prescribe such a low dose of Percocet 5/325 4 times a day . I'm not taking it yet but even the medication my pain MGMT Dr prescribed is not really working anymore.

And if they are so hard why didn't anyone tell me I couldn't do this alone. I could have tried to get my insurance company to authorize home health care beyond the PT before my discharge from the hospital.
 
@Cementless No, for some reason he doesn't have a .patient portal. The only one of my doctor's that doesn't. .As you said that would be an excellent way to document my synptons.

I am icing and elevating. No worries about finding the icon .it's the thought that counts and is so appreciated. :loveshwr:
 
If revisions are so hard why did my OS prescribe such a low dose of Percocet 5/325 4 times a day
Not all revisions are as hard as yours. remember, you've had the additional complication of extra surgeries.

Each dose or Percocet 5-325 contains 5 mg of oxycodone and 325 mg of Acetaminophen (Tylenol/Paracetamol).
Tylenol adds to the pain-killing properties of the Oxycodone.
That means your total amount of Tylenol in 24 hours is 4 x 325 = 1300 mg.
The safe daily limit for Tylenol is 4,000 mg, which means you could safely add another 2,700 mg each 24 hours.

Why not take another 500 mg of Tylenol with each dose of Percocet? That would add another 2,000 mg to your Tylenol intake, giving you a daily total of 3,300 mg and keeping you safely withing the 4,000 mg limit?
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom