Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kim22, my bursitis is also on my un operated hip. This is just my personal thought... I lay on that side for many months once I was able to get off my back and before I could lay on my operated hip. I would go into a deep sleep and not turn during the night and wake up next morning still in the same position and the reason I would know this is because I use a pillow to lean my operated leg on.. I had also out on a few kilos and I think the weight and constant laying in the same position contributed to mine. It was niggly at first then when I saw my OS last September he pressed really hard into the Trochanter and I yelped like a puppy in pain and from then on the pain became much more severe and constant.

But as mentioned I use the oil every morning and night and have found a huge relief from it. So much so that I can sleep on that side now with no problem. So I use the oil twice a day. I have to admit the bought one is my preference and is more effective for me :)
 
Kim22 will it just heal for you, please! I am so sorry about the new complications, and hope that you can fix them quickly so you may get on with your recovery! Poppet also, before surgery I was dx with bursitis, and it was in both hips. I'm fairly certain that it's still there in op hip, and definitely there in non-op hip. Water bed very very good :)
 
LeeApril26, Littlejem and zauberflöte Thank you for your well wishes I rang the physio but she was on a day off and tried to make an appointment with the GP but the surgery was closed this afternoon so I will try again tomorrow Today has been a bad day due to pains in the left knee and thigh I am beginning to suspect that the O/A is beginning to manifest itself in my left side now.The knee has been very painful and it feels quite unstable as if it could give way. The pain in my right knee was worse than the hip as the arthritis progressed but I need to know if there is any pathology in the knee itself.yesterday was a good day as I managed to go and see the exhibition of the Lindisfarne gospels in Durham University which are currently on loan from the British Library and there was a lot of walking and standing around but apart from the nagging ache of the ? Bursitis I had little pain and felt proud that I wasn't looking for a seat and didn't need to sit down once.I suppose I could have overdone it but I am almost 5 months now.I must say the right side is very good.
Poppet Thank you for your post.It was also after I had lain on the left side I first noticed the symptoms, waking up with a sharp pain where I had been lying.I am using the oil but just the homemade one as the postage is astronomical on the commercial one I also use heat and both are soothing.I only put on a couple of pounds after my surgery and my BMI is within the normal range so I don't think weight gain is an issue.In fact I lost a few pounds in the first few weeks despite eating so much so I think the additional calories were used up in the healing process.However I am being sensible with what I am eating now to try and prevent any further weight gain which may aggravate the knee and the ? Bursitis.

I feel quite sad as I was doing so well and as I said the operated leg is very good and even the tendinitis has just about gone so I am truely grateful for that and you never know this may be just another blip on the road to recovery.I hope that your enforced rest helps your bursitis and that your chest is recovering well
 
Kim22 It does sound like you may have overdone it yesterday, but it also sounds like a lovely day. It is so hard to know just how much activity to do. I have been doing knee exercises-simple ones-from a book that I think it called Heal Your Own Knees, by a PT, Jim Johnson. I am not at home this week so can't check. The exercises are easy, and when I do them the knee pain goes away. I am still stiff when I stand up after sitting for a long time, but I can walk without pain. If I slack off for a couple of weeks the pain comes back. I know the book is on Amazon in the US because I have sent it to several relatives.
I hope you can get in to see someone soon. You were doing so well, and at five months or more I wouldn't have imagined that you would have a problem from activity. Guess it can happen. Hope you feel better soon.
 
I'm so glad for you that you manged the day, well done it sounds wonderful, that's such a big deal, lot's of walking and no sitting down. I do think you are right to get things checked, no point in just putting up with it and fingers crossed it will be something that can be helped quite easily.
 
Kim22 I just looked up the Lindisfarne gospels in Durham University-- what a fabulous exhibit! You new hip stood up to the challenge. I'm sorry about the stuff going on on the other side, I'm with Janet that I hope it will be easy to resolve. Years ago I had some "runner's knee' type of pain, and did some simple seated leg raises, hundreds of them per month, and the pain went away just like that-- I hope you may have such success. And you only gained a couple of pounds-- good for you, girl! I'm afraid I might still be gaining-- I don't want to get back on that scale till my clothes are a little looser!:shocked:
 
Kim22 I wonder if referred pain works both ways ie knee problems cause pain in the hip as well as the other way around ? Ive noticed I have had some slight discomfort in my non-op hip lately, but as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with that side - but my knee that side is naff . I wonder if that's the cause of your pain?

Littlejem Ive put on 7lb and Ive had one hip done, so that would be about right ! Need my jaw wired I think .
 
LeeApril26 Thank you for the info on the knee book.I actually borrowed it from my daughter and have read it but Before I try the exercises I feel I should see a health professional first.I have an appointment at the surgery tomorrow but unfortunately the Physio cannot see me now as I am nearly 5 months post replacement I may be referred to another physio tomorrow hopefully but if this isn't the case or the waiting times are too long I will see a private one The aches and pains have become more widespread today and I suspect the arthritis is now in the left side.
 
TeeEm I had an X-ray of the hips when I saw my OS in June and he said the left side was fine but the X-ray of the right side also looked fine and then within a very short time I was bone on bone so I don't have much faith in X-rays but of course it could be the knee.It is so tricky to work out.
 
Littlejem and zauberflöte The exhibition was wonderful as I love history and as you know I love visiting Lindisfarne or Holy Island as it is known here as it is very special to me.The last time we were up there we did a 3 mile walk on the island which was a big milestone but 3 miles was too much.It was a lovely day and we enjoyed the peace and tranquility as well as the wildlife including watching seals basking in the sunshine.I had hardly any discomfort when visiting the exhibition and I felt so happy but I seem to be paying the price now.If the left side has deteriorated and the pain in both the thigh and the knee remind me of those dark pre op days I would just want the surgery as soon as possible.Anyway this might not be the case and the pain may be better tomorrow.
 
I really hope that the other side is the cause of your problem, I'm sure you don't want to go through all that again!!
 
No but If its the only way to become pain free then bring it on.You bravely went through 2 hip replacements very close together and if I have to I will. I consider myself fortunate that its a condition that I has a solution which is generally very successful.
 
Kim22 Hope the appointment leads to good news-no more surgery! But, you're right. It is far better to have the surgery than to live with increasing pain, especially when you know where it leads.
Glad you have access to the knee book. Hope the doctor feels it will help.
 
I saw a Nurse Practioner at the surgery who is referring me to the Muscular Skeletal Dept at the hospital as the are able to order investigation procedures. I do hope I don't have long to wait as the left hip is not happy at all.My right side started with a torn labrum and initially the pain was very acute.I could only walk a few yards until a sharp catching pain grabbed me and I was unable to put any weight on the leg.Eventually this changed to a less severe arthritic pain a bit like I am having now.I was told that the torn part of the labrum sometimes detaches itself which means that the catching stops.I only hope that the left labrum doesn't tear.
 
Oh, I hope that's not what's going on. When do you find out how long you have to wait for an appointment? Fingers crossed that it's soon.
 
Oh wow Kim, I'm glad you've got your ducks lined up in a row to find out what's going on, although I'm really sorry it's going on... It sounds very painful, and a real spoiler for your hip recovery and walking.
I look at having two THRs close together as a sort of advantage, because the recoveries overlap so you have lost less of your life, actually, than if you waited a few years for the second. I really wish that my left hip warranted replacing, like, yesterday-- so I could just get it all over with! I hope that whatever it is that you've got, they can "get it over with" for you so you can just get on with life! :)
 
Gosh zauberflöte I so agree with you about the advantages of having 2 hips done close together as it means that you get both surgeries over and done with and as you say you loose less of your life.My mother had both hips done with a few years in between so as o/a is in the genes I will most likely need the left one replaced too.My big regret is going through the arthroscopy last July which means I had 2 major ops within 8 months a lot of recovery and still having issues.However I am so pleased with my right side now and I am still hoping the pain in the left thigh and knee is due to muscle weakness and can be sorted with a course of physio.
 
LeeApril26 I was told I would receive a letter next week inviting me to arrange an appointment so I hope it arrives before we go away on Thursday.I hope to be seen in early September but I am not sure how realistic my expectations are.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom