Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nylsor Hi Ros, I am so sorry to hear that you feel that you are going backwards and hopefully the pain is related to muscles rather than arthritis but the X-ray will be helpful in a diagnosis.I must admit after posting such a positive report on Friday I feel I have gone backwards too and with the same problem as you ie groin pain and knee pain in the left side.I am hoping mine is a muscle problem as the X-ray I had last time I saw my OS showed no problems on the left side.I am blaming my shopping spree on Saturday as I went to an outlet to buy a new pair of New Balance trainers, I went with my son who wanted to buy clothes for his holiday in Ibiza ( a stag do !!) but he couldn't find what he wanted so then went to The Metrocentre which is an enormous mall with very hard floors for walking. At the time I was in my element as I hadn't been there for months and was so happy to be walking pain free I probably did too much shopping. So the roller coaster ride of recovery continues.I hope your GP steps up to the mark this time and he / she doesn't try to fob you off againThey should be eating humble pie when they realise how bad your hip was before your surgery.
 
Kim22 shop till you drop! LOL Sounds like it was worth it. What else did you get besides the trainers, eh?

I googled I-T band stretches, and found many that aren't like what you said (and I hate that one too, it really hurts both knees). I wondered if the "pretzel" one which I will someday do again is related to this image I found: The leg she's holding the knee of, is the one that's getting stretched. Of course were we doing this one we'd be a whole lot more conservative than she is being! But you can get the idea. It feels good to me just to look at that picture! :)
 
Thank you Liveringer, LeeApril26 and bottomshollow for your kind and encouraging words.I hope all is well with you.
Kim22. Wonderful report-a three mile walk is phenomenal! So happy you could do it by the end of your vacation, and being tired was probably worth it. Also great that you can get up and down from the floor. Haven't tried that yet. Your four month report is inspiring.

Kim22 just read your thread on walking 3 miles without getting tired. That was great. I am getting close to 3 months and I am nowhere near walking that far. That is inspiring. I am near 3 months on August 6 and still walking with a slight limp which I am working on. Is your limp totally gone and how far were you walking at 3 months. I am trying to set some goals but I really wish I could get rid of my limp
I know what you are saying about putting your socks on without the aid - I have just started doing that plus pull on my jeans. Who would have thought we would have been so happy about such a thing. I figure I can now go shopping cuz I need some new clothes for an upcoming wedding but did not want to ask someone to help me get dressed. This will be great.
 
zauberflöte Thank you for the information but not sure I would dare to attempt it just yet.I am considering seeing a private physio for some advice.
 
Hi Mollyb Although I managed the 3 mile walk which felt great at the time and I only sat down once in a bird hide to view some ducks and swans on a lake which was phenomenal I think it was too far.I was wiped out afterwards so I wouldn't aim to do that by 3 months.I have decided to restrict my walks to around 2 miles. I don't have a limp at all other wise I would use a cane and I am very mindful of my gait as for years I had a typical hippie walk with my bottom stick out so I try to walk tall with the pelvis tucked under and tummy engaged as well as walking heel toe.I hope that makes sense. I can walk at a good pace again and was overtaking slower people at the shopping mall on Saturday but the down side is I still have groin and knee discomfort on the none operated and the groin pain from the tendinitis on the operated side has started to play up again.Its difficult to know what to do for the best.Of course slow and steady is the best policy but some times It is hard not to do things that I long to do and feel I can do and haven't been able to do for ages. Recovery is a real roller coaster ride.

Great news that you can pull your jeans on in a normal way. You will get better and better with those activities as time goes on and a shopping spree will be wonderful
 
Mollyb. I am at thirteen weeks and at the end of the first week of July I was still using a cane and swinging the operated leg strangely when I walked. just slightly to the side. If you have access to a pool, walking in a pool in shallow water helps a lot. I needed to practice using the leg correctly. I walked horizontally, across the shallow end of the pool, almost every day for a week, holding in my abs and swinging my arms. I walked forward, backwards and sideways, starting with ten minutes and increasing up to twenty by the end of the week. At the end of the week I was only using the cane for crowded places and now I am not using it at all. I was told that if I was limping I should still use the cane so I didn't get used to the limp. Hope this helps.
 
We have just enjoyed watching Kate and William showing their new baby prince to the world for the first time Aaaaaah He is gorgeous and the nation eagerly await an announcement regarding his name.The young couple looked so proud and relaxed but I reckon William must have been practicing fixing the baby seat in the car as normally the first attempt does not usually go as well as that as Me and my husband know from experience LOL.
 
LeeApril26 the pool is good advice that would be a great workout for your legs. I swung my operated leg out when I walked for weeks after my operation and I still have to concentrate on keeping it in line but it is getting better. I will try walking in shallow water. I was going to attempt swimming this week so we will see how it goes.
 
Mollyb. The first few times I tried to swim it felt like the implant was being pulled. Totally not true, but it felt like it, so I stopped. Now it is quite easy. Hope the water walking helps.
 
Hi Kim, I read on another thread you have hurt your toe I hope it's feeling a bit better. How's the hip progress going?

A terrible thing summer, going without protective shoes is hazardous. :heehee: I was just in socks for a brief period yesterday and managed to give my toe a good kick, back to the shoes and slippers.
 
octopus You identified the hazard me walking bear foot around the house as it seemed too hot for socks and slippers.The bruising and swelling are definitely calming down with elevation , ice and Arnica Cream.

My husband is currently in training for a long cycle ride in two weeks so he was out riding on a disused railway which is on the Coast to Coast this afternoon and I drove up to a remote cafe to join him for afternoon tea and cakes.We met two lovely ladies from NZ in the cafe who were dong the coast to coast which is the last place I expected to meet two Kiwis.I hope your recovery is still going well
 
You are doing so well Kim22 and you must feel very pleased that your 4 month report is so good? It's great that you are able to walk so far and I'm so glad you made the distance to Holy Island before the end of your holiday. I can't believe you can put your socks on standing up, apart from not being able to get my leg up that far, with my rubbish balance, I'd be falling over!! It wonderful that you can bend down by bending your knees instead of from the waist and 15 mins on the bike is fantastic. I so want to be able to do all this too and hope that when I am 4 months with my second I will be as fit and mobile as you. :)
 
Poppet I hope you are recovering well from your chest infection and are feeling a lot better.I had my foot x-rayed yesterday and I managed to cause a small crack in the little toe when I whacked it on the bed post.The bruising is still there and tracking across the foot.
I read that you have bursitis of the none operated hip and I now show symptoms of having the same.I have a nagging dull ache in the outer side of the hip radiating to the waist as well as aching in the outer and inner thigh and knee.This is just so frustrating as I have just recovered from tendinitis of the groin on the operated side and was looking forward to getting on with my recovery.I am still taking 1 gram of paracetamol and 1200mg Ibuprofen a day and have started with ice again but I was wondering how you were getting on and how you are managing the bursitis.
 
Hi Kim22, I am so sorry to hear about your bursitis, gosh it seems to be more common lately than I have read in the last few years or maybe I am paying more attention to it.. It sure is a pain!

I have found the Elmore Oil has worked a treat on it and it seems to be diminishing. But then I have also rested quite a bit with the pneumonia. I also found that heat was was more effective than ice for mine. :)
 
Thanks Poppet You are right bursitis is a real pain.I haven't seen any health professional yet so it is only a self diagnosis but the symptoms seem to fit but its a bit strange how its in the unoperated side instead of the operated hip.I have just applied some of the homemade Elmore oil made up as per your recipe followed by a hot water bottle instead of ice which I am applying to the bruising on my foot.How many times a day did you apply the oil ?
 
Is that still not much better, do you think you should see someone about it?
 
Kim22 Just caught up with your thread. So sorry to hear about your bursitis. You might want to see someone, as Littlejem suggested. I thought I had bursitis and sciatica (sp?) a while ago and it was a piriformis muscle in spasm-acupuncturist released it in two sessions, but I had several months of pain before that and it wasn't good for the hip-muscles deteriortated and I started getting the OA symptoms. I know the thought of another doctor for another ailment is overwhelming. I am having severe thumb pain and am reluctantly realizing I am going to have to find a hand doctor. Yuck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom