THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there Kim, so sorry to hear about the pain in your knee and other hip.. I am with you.. wish my OS had done a bilateral and got the lot over and done with. I hope your appointment rolls around quickly and is positive ... sending hugs x
 
Hi Kim22 - to relieve your anxiety why don't you make an appointment at a private hospital with an OS and get some x-rays done of the unoperated side. You don't need a referral with some OS's.Then the OS will tell you if the OA is progressing and whether you need surgery. That's what I had to do when my GP's failed to diagnose my OA. It cost me nearly £500 for the appointment and 3 x-rays but we live in London so everything costs a fortune but at least I had a diagnosis. You don't have to stay with them. Just ask to be referred back to the NHS. It seems strange that you had your surgery about a month after me and these pains are occuring about 3 weeks after I had the awful pains in knee, groin, foot, hip, etc. I also think that it has something to do with how our bodies start to realign themselves. I put on a foot support and the pain in my knee abated within a day. Whether we noticed it or not, we have walked 'funny' for a long time and everything needs to get back to normal. Try and walk in a pair of shoes you wore pre-surgery. You'll notice the difference! Also take the Tramadol. Pain doesn't abate when you are tensed up. Have a good rest Kim22, don't do anything much - and don't feel guilty about putting up your feet/knee, etc. Hope you see an improvement :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: Ros x
 
Kim22 Nylsor Poppet I've just read through this latest discussion, and have to agree that it's really irritating when a joint that was "good" plays up soon after the bad one was fixed. I am in the same leaky boat! X-rays of "good" hip show no joint space narrowing, but by golly it hurts. Some of it is pre-existing bursitis, but there's plenty of the OA pain I recognize. And I feel like it's going to hold back my recovery-- if I can't do the things I want to do because the "good" hip hurts, what then? I did mention this to the OS PA a month ago at my 8-week visit, and he said "if the pain is too much we'll do the hip". So it would just be a matter of convincing the insurance company about quality of life (totally intangible) versus what the x-rays show (that it's not yet medically necessary!).
We need a "Let's Do The Other Joint Now" club:heehee:
 
Hi zauberflöte ] I am sorry as I had no idea that you were in the same leaky boat as you put it so well and yes it's very irritating as so far we have gone through so much so far and the active and pain free life we long for seems a long way off.I am lucky in that I just have to convince the surgeon that the left side needs fixing rather than having to convince some insurance worker as well.When I saw the OS 2 months ago he told me the X-ray of the left side was ok but as at that time I had no pain I didn't ask any more questions.I am not seeing him again until.December but at least I am seeing someone else next month who can hopefully diagnose what is going on.I just want to be able to walk again and until very recently that was happening.
 
Hi Nylsor I have great faith in my OS and would be able to see him privately very quickly and if I don't see any improvement that is an certainly an option.My only concern is he recently broke his arm and doesn't start operating again until next month so I need to give him some time to get back up to speed.Your plan of rest and Tramadol has been a good idea as I feel more relaxed already so thank you.
 
Elosarabrab Hi there I am so glad that you are able to get on with life and the 2 hip replacements have really paid off.I don't think "lucky" is the right world but at least they are both behind you.How is the job hunting going ?
 
Ah the leaky boat... Yes, I am in it some days zauberflöte. But the pain is so random that I can't tell if it is the joint or lack of fitness, after all I am the consummate lazy BoneSmartie. Conserving my energy... What for? ... Retirement, lol.. Just have to get through the months/weeks/days..

I am sorry for all the members of the 'leaky boat club' ...sigh!
 
Kim22 is this the same OS who broke an arm months ago and couldn't see patients at all, or is it another one??:heehee: I can't keep track of who is who any more, sigh.

Poppet my pain is not random-- it's exactly like the new hip was, only not so bad yet. The scary part to me is that the joint space is good-- what's it going to feel like when the narrowing starts?:shocked: You are very good, conserving your energy for retirement. My retirement looks like "today at my house right now". I don't know if I'm retired or not, but life is the same as it's been for years! So I need to spend energy to manufacture energy, if that makes any sense. I find that if I don't exercise, all my systems get weak-- so, a-exercisin' I will go! Must keep heart and lungs strong, dontcha know.
 
Yes zauberflöte its the same guy I did get to see him in June for my review and it was at this appointment he told me he wouldn't be able to operate again until September.My next appointment with him is 13 th December but of course when I saw him with the exception of the groin tendinitis all was well and the left side was fine I had no pain and the X-ray was ok.The road to an earlier appointment is via the NHS Muscular Skeletal Clinic and the first a available appointment was 26th September.
 
I'm so sorry it's not going well for you and I appreciate you saying it's a shame you couldn't have had them done at the same time!! I know what Elosarabrab means though about 'being lucky' and having them both done one after the other, at least we got it over and done with in a few months and can move on!! Your hips have been very unkind to you by lulling you into feeling better and then wham putting you back to square one! December is a long way off which isn't good! x
 
Littlejem You are so right about being lulled into thinking I was getting better and then back to square one.I am just resting at the moment to see if that helps which is difficult.I suppose the weather has not been too good so I haven't missed much but after another few days I will be stir crazy with cabin fever.
 
Elosarabrab good luck with the interview! :)

Kim22 haha I've not lost all my marbles yet, then, just most of them... You have a complicated system to navigate, and it's true that it's no fair being lulled into false security only to have hip#2 pop up its ugly femur (so to speak). I hope your resting helps, and you an enjoy more of your holiday :)
 
Kim22, sorry to hear your other hip is playing up, how frustrating! Not to mention painful. Sometimes it just seems to be one thing after another, doesn't it? Let us know how you get on with your next appt. I hope you have a good holiday despite everything else.
 
Good luck for the interview Elosarabrab, I'll keep everything crossed for you x
You're right about the weather Kim22, I'm sure hoping it's going to behave today, as we're having a BBQ for hubby who is 65 today!!
 
Kim22. How are you doing? Hope the resting is helping. I'm sure it's driving you nuts.
Elosarabrab. Good luck with the interview this week. Fingers crossed.
 
Kim22 That's too bad that you are now having pain in your other hip. That would be frustrating to have to wait to be seen to see if you are in need of another operation. The very first time I went to the doctor with hip pain, both legs were in pain at the time, I was told right off both hips needed to be replaced so I feel like Elosarabrab lucky to know what I was facing but not excited about it and wanting to prove the doctors wrong, which I didn't. If it comes down to having another operation you now know what it's all about and that everyone on here will be here to support you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom