Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi octopus Nice to hear from you.Yes we are still here until Tuesday and the weather has been glorious our best summer for 7 years so we are making the most of it.Unfortunatly the wi fi connection is very slow at best and none existant at other times so I haven't been able to be consistent with replying to my BS friends.I am ok but tires today as did a walk yesterday of over 2 miles. We chose it as it was from the easy access series and it was supposed to be suitable for prams and wheel chairs but in reality it including a few gradients which my groin tendinitis didn't like much.How are you doing now ? I hope you are over the cellulitis.
 
clifford149 You are right about getting the flutes going as they tend to become very weak after hip problems.You sound great getting back to normal life Good for you
 
Kim22 A two mile walk sounds fantastic. Congratulations. Walking up inclines really does hurt-even small ones.
 
Kim22 you sound like you are doing well. The weather has certainly brightened everyone's mood.
I am not amused that I have to work till I am 66 now as when I started work I was expecting to retire at 60. No doubt when I am nearly 66 they will raise the age again.:tantrum:
 
Hi octopus Nice to hear from you.Yes we are still here until Tuesday and the weather has been glorious our best summer for 7 years so we are making the most of it.Unfortunatly the wi fi connection is very slow at best and none existant at other times so I haven't been able to be consistent with replying to my BS friends.I am ok but tires today as did a walk yesterday of over 2 miles. We chose it as it was from the easy access series and it was supposed to be suitable for prams and wheel chairs but in reality it including a few gradients which my groin tendinitis didn't like much.How are you doing now ? I hope you are over the cellulitis.
Thanks Kim, I'm doing a bit better. The infection has cleared from my leg but the vein remains blocked, so I am continuing on ibuprofen. My doctor tells me it can take up to two months for it to clear. I'm looking forward to my mid winter break, a few days away in our capital city. I don't know why we chose the middle if winter to go there, it's our windiest city! But I'm looking forward to doing a bit of exploring, it's been a while since i was last there.
 
Four Month Report

I am glad to say that I am now pleased with my progress and feel I am better now than I have been for for a long time.I walk well with good form and manage about 2.5 miles on level ground.On Monday I did a 3 mile walk on Holy Island ( see my Avatar ) but although I was thrilled to have done it On reflection it was too much especially in the heat and I was exhausted but happy.Its my very special place and it was my absolute goal to manage it by the end of my holiday.

I am very gradually increasing my time on a stationary bike and now do 15 minutes 3 times a week.I swim for a few minutes once a week and still do my basic exercises for the core on the ball as well as a few gentle clams and bridges to help the glutes.

My ROM is improving all the time I can now put my socks on standing which amazes me as its not long since I needed a sock aid.I can get down on the floor and back up again without having to resort to the Downward Dog position. I find this incredible that I can get up like everyone else.Another great thing is that I can bend down by bending my knees again instead of from the waist.

I still need painkillers and always need Paracetamol and Ibuprofen in the morning but after that dose I take them as needed.I am concerned that I still need the Ibuprofen as I hoped to be off them by now as I have been taking them for over 2 years and I do worry about the side effects.I take prescribed Omeprazole to protect the stomach but they have other side effects.I still get groin pain on the operated side from time to time as well as aches and pains in the muscles of the none operated side,including the groin area.My left knee was painful until recently but that seems to be a little better but the outside of the thigh on the same side is sore now so I today I have started to use foam roller to see if it helps the IT Band as I have had some success with the roller before my op.I still have start up stiffness after sitting down for any length of time.

I am positive about my recovery now and just love being able to walk without looking for the nearest seat to rest.One of my greatest pleasures believe it or not is completing a big shop at the supermarket although hubby still has to push the trolley when it starts to get full.
At last I can agree with all those participants on BS who enthuse about their new hips.It just goes to show that every recovery is unique to the individual.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Spring in my step
[Bonesmart.org] Spring in my step
Just a SUPER 4 month post op update!!
I am so happy that you now can really feel positive about having your replacement. It does take a bit longer for some of us----but we do get there, don't we? You'll be an inspiration to those who are off to a slow start with their recoveries.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Spring in my step
 
Kim22 what a great 4 month update, especially that 3 mile walk on Holy Island, heat or no. I'm sure it was the heat that tired you, not your hip. Your ROM report is fabulous, too. Let us know how that foam roller work goes on the ITB.

I am so happy for you that you're positive and enthusiastic about the hip-- may that feeling last forever :) I look forward to the day, 2 months from now, that I can give such a glowing report as you have.
 
Kim22 I am pleased you are doing so well. The amount you are walking is really good. Being able to put socks on while standing up is amazing. :yay:
You talking about Holy Island makes me think of a nice glass of mead.
Its a lot cooler today so I can go back on the exercise bike. I haven't been on it when its been really hot.
 
Elosarabrab Good luck for your return to work tomorrow.Its a blessing that you are doing short days to start as it means that you can ease yourself back in more gradually rather than going back full time.Its good that you managed to catch the good weather before you go back as well. Let us know how you get on.
 
Great four month report, Kim! It is exciting to see the progress and the little milestones. I just went away for a few days and walked hours and hours. I'm pleased to say it was no problem at all, not while walking or afterwards. Some days I can do my socks the normal way, but most time I need to sit and lift my foot to the opposite knee to reach comfortably, slowly but surely things are coming along.
 
Hi Kim22 lovely to hear from you and you really seem to have turned a corner! My left (unoperated ) knee still hurts sometimes but I have started doing the exercises recommended by LeeApril26 - thanks! You get so much info on this site it really is a marvellous source of help and information.
We go on the trip to Canada and Alaska on September 1st.:happydance: We are flying to Calgary and staying in Banff for three nights. Then transferring to Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver ( Gold Leaf) for two days staying overnight in a hotel in Kamloops . We're then staying in the PanPacific in Vancouver for three nights and then on a 7-night cruise to Alaska! :yahoo: We planned and booked all this before I knew I needed a THR and we're so glad we did. Our daughter and SIL are coming with us as we have a lot of things to celebrate this year - our 45th W/A, 50yrs since we met, my 65th B/D, our daughter's 35thB/D and their 10th W/A. I can now add to this my recovery! We looked in lots of places Kim22 but we eventually booked with a company in Glasgow I found on the net. The person I dealt with asked me what I really wanted in the holiday and the next day e-mailed me an itinerary which she was quite happy for me to change - I didn't because it was excellent! She was fantastic and efficient and added lots of extras for us. I don't think it would be allowed for me to give you the name of the company here but if you want to send me a private message ( just hover over Inbox) I'll send you all the details. I really am so very pleased that you feel and sound so much brighter. I picked 20lbs of strawberries at the allotment on Monday and have shared them out with our neighbours. I was a bit stiff but not too bad at all really. All things shall pass - oh yes, and isn't it strange / funny when folk say 'You look well for someone who's had a hip replacement.' Just the same as when folk find out I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for 37 years and they say the same thing! How are we supposed to look? Never mind, onwards and upwards. Northumberland looks so wonderful - enjoy it dear and the sunshine and the walking is great! nmscienceteacher, Peaches, bottomshollow, ByGosh I retired from working in education when I was 56 - and like you Kim22 I wonder how I found time to go to work! A big, big mistake making folk in their sixties remain at work. If they choose to / have to through personal circumstances - fine, but I saw enough colleagues and teachers I line-managed simply marking time until their retirement. It's cruel especially at an age when many folks' health is declining - a bit like mine! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: x Ros

You will love your trip to Alaska and your visit to Alberta and British Columbia. I live not far from Calgary and have driven to B.C many times it is breathtaking country. Haven't been on the ALaska cruise but lots of people I have talked to said that was their favorite cruise and have returned to do it a couple of times. I am dilly gently working on my walking so I can resume my travels.

Take care and have fun on your trip.
 
Kim22 That is a great 4 month report! I am happy to hear things are looking up and you are progressing. You are right, we all have our own unique recovery story. Keep up the progress and imagine how wonderful you'll feel at 6 months :bicycle1:
 
Four Month Report



I still get groin pain on the operated side from time to time as well as aches and pains in the muscles of the none operated side,including the groin area.My left knee was painful until recently but that seems to be a little better but the outside of the thigh on the same side is sore now so I today I have started to use foam roller to see if it helps the IT Band as I have had some success with the roller before my op.I still have start up stiffness after sitting down for any length of time.

Hi @Kim22 I was so happy to read your four month report. I was doing really well but in the last week I've started to have groin pain on my left side (non-operated) and also in my left knee. My operated side feels 'heavy' particularly in the morning. I do so hope that the OA hasn't started marching in my left hip. I know I have it there but my OS said my hip would last for 3-4 years - I think he may be wrong. I think I'll go to the GP this week and request an x-ray on my left hip. But who is going to compare it to before the THR on my right hip? I don't feel too jolly about it I can tell you. I live in fear and dread of going to the GP because of the way I was treated pre-op. I tried to change surgeries but can't because I live outside the catchment area of the two really good ones around here. I think I'll try some of the exercises that you are doing to see if it makes a difference.
Well done on all you've achieved. At the moment I feel as if I'm going backwards.:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: Rosx
 
Kim22. Wonderful report-a three mile walk is phenomenal! So happy you could do it by the end of your vacation, and being tired was probably worth it. Also great that you can get up and down from the floor. Haven't tried that yet. Your four month report is inspiring.
 
octopus.I am so glad that you were able to walk so well when you had your break away and no painful consequences which is the very best news Lets face it for most of us the reason we go through a hip replacement is to be able to walk again without pain and you have achieved that.Great news.
 
Mollyb I have always wanted to visit Canada and experience The Rocky mountaineer and as everyone raves about the beauty of an Alaskan cruise it would be great to combine them in one trip.We are considering booking for 2015. My husband has visited Toronto with his work but I have never been to Canada.
 
zauberflöte I only used the foam roller twice as it was too painful so its been returned to the back of the cupboard.I was wondering if anyone is aware of a stretch for the IT band without crossing one leg over the other which I am very wary of doing four months after a THR
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom