Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26 Thank you for your advice on exercises for the glutes I will give them a go
 
Hi TeeEm Thanks for the exercises for core and glute strength They seem very gentle and good ones to start. How are things with you now ?
 
Kim22 My knee is still painful, but it was very interesting what @leeapril22 said about weak glutes on the op side causing knee pain on the other . My backside and hamstrings on the op side are very atrophied . I've been looking into going to a pilates class in september. I think something like that would be very beneficial .
 
I agree with you about Pilates as long as the exercises are fairly gentle. I did a few classes before I had my the arthroscopy and allow I managed to do it and was pain free during the class I had major muscle aches after a couple of hours which lasted for days. I might have been ok if the duration of the class was about half an hour rather than a full hour.
 
Hi Kim22 I haven't been posting or reading posts too much lately, but am glad to be catching up with all of my friends. Your vacation sounds just heavenly - the weather, the scenery, the walking especially. All of it is just what you need. I'm so glad you can walk now without that dreaded groin pain. You haven't mentioned it, so I assume it's not bothering you now. I've started using a TENS machine that I got from a local practitioner - it's the same one TennisNut told me about and it seems to really help the groins. Thank goodness. I'm able to be up more around the house and get some baking done. I haven't tried walking - but that will be next! The TENS doesn't heal anything, just helps manage pain, but that's ok. Anything to be more functional.
You'll probably have your Elmore Oil waiting for you in the mail when you get back home. I use it as often as I can, and I like it. It seems to help.
I'm sorry your knee is acting up. Maybe your walking is now causing you knee to protest? Mine burns lately, then it'll start hurting. I don't know if it's referred pain, or if it's from the knee itself. Sometimes it's hard to tell just why something is acting up! I'll get mine checked out eventually. I'm working on the hips first!
Enjoy the rest of your lovely vacation. I'm so glad it's working out for you - it looks to be a very beautiful place.
 
Hi Nylsor
IHow are you doing now as I remember reading how well you walked on holiday ? Are you booked on an Alaskan cruise ? My husband and I having thinking about doing that cruise next year or the year after combined with a trip to Canada It looks fantastic !
Hi Kim22 lovely to hear from you and you really seem to have turned a corner! My left (unoperated ) knee still hurts sometimes but I have started doing the exercises recommended by LeeApril26 - thanks! You get so much info on this site it really is a marvellous source of help and information.
We go on the trip to Canada and Alaska on September 1st.:happydance: We are flying to Calgary and staying in Banff for three nights. Then transferring to Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver ( Gold Leaf) for two days staying overnight in a hotel in Kamloops . We're then staying in the PanPacific in Vancouver for three nights and then on a 7-night cruise to Alaska! :yahoo: We planned and booked all this before I knew I needed a THR and we're so glad we did. Our daughter and SIL are coming with us as we have a lot of things to celebrate this year - our 45th W/A, 50yrs since we met, my 65th B/D, our daughter's 35thB/D and their 10th W/A. I can now add to this my recovery! We looked in lots of places Kim22 but we eventually booked with a company in Glasgow I found on the net. The person I dealt with asked me what I really wanted in the holiday and the next day e-mailed me an itinerary which she was quite happy for me to change - I didn't because it was excellent! She was fantastic and efficient and added lots of extras for us. I don't think it would be allowed for me to give you the name of the company here but if you want to send me a private message ( just hover over Inbox) I'll send you all the details. I really am so very pleased that you feel and sound so much brighter. I picked 20lbs of strawberries at the allotment on Monday and have shared them out with our neighbours. I was a bit stiff but not too bad at all really. All things shall pass - oh yes, and isn't it strange / funny when folk say 'You look well for someone who's had a hip replacement.' Just the same as when folk find out I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for 37 years and they say the same thing! How are we supposed to look? Never mind, onwards and upwards. Northumberland looks so wonderful - enjoy it dear and the sunshine and the walking is great! nmscienceteacher, Peaches, bottomshollow, ByGosh I retired from working in education when I was 56 - and like you Kim22 I wonder how I found time to go to work! A big, big mistake making folk in their sixties remain at work. If they choose to / have to through personal circumstances - fine, but I saw enough colleagues and teachers I line-managed simply marking time until their retirement. It's cruel especially at an age when many folks' health is declining - a bit like mine! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: x Ros
 
Nylsor Hope the exercises are helping. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary and birthday. Your cruise sounds fabulous.
 
Kim22, Welcome to the Recovery side!!!! Sounds as though you are doing great. BTW, succotash is mixed peas and carrots (sometimes corn, too).
 
Nylsor, so great to catch up on your news and to hear you are doing so well. My surgery is this morning, and I'll be in touch later today or tomorrow (if the wifi at the hospital works with my computer). Keep a good thought!
 
Hi BeckyR Thank you for postings.I have just realised that you are having your surgery today so wishing you all the luck in the world and I am looking forward to hearing about your progress when you get over to the recovery side.You are in my thoughts and my prayers.
 
Hi ByGosh Its so nice to hear from you and I am so glad that the TENS machine is working for you and you are able to do more.I hope that you can start walking again very soon.My groin tendinitis seems to be much improved ( touch wood ) in fact the groin on the other side is probably worse but not too bad and the oil certainly helps.My worse problem is the left knee still which like yours burns and then becomes sore but walking doesn't seem to bother it too much. I walked 2.5 miles yesterday on the flat which is the farthest I have walked since my op. I have to keep reminding myself to hold in my tummy as much as possible to try to engage the core and the glutes.Today we visited Paxton House in the Scottish Borders and managed the guided tour which I consider an achievement as there was a lot of stair climbing and standing still listening to the Guide I remembered to do one of the exercises recommended by TeeEm every time we stood still.I was delighted to be able to manage it and after our lunch we had a short walk in the gardens.So over all very slow improvement is maintained.Please keep me up to date with your progress.
 
Kim22 Ever since I caught sight of my reflection in a shop window I've been trying to keep that tummy in, keep my head high and tuck the tail under! I looked so odd with my nose leading, neck at a funny angle and backside poking out - let alone the "penguin waddle" as well. I then started concentrating so hard on walking properly that I completely ignored two friends until they yelled at me!
Nylsor can I come to Canada in your suitcase? I've wanted to go on the Rocky Mountaineer for years! SIL and her husband did it a few years ago - highlight was SIL (retired nurse) delivering their B&B landlady's baby in Banff during the stop-over! She kept saying "but my midwifery registration has expired" - she was there, local doctor and midwife were on the way but the baby couldn't wait!:sos:
Best wishes to everyone else
Anne
 
Nannyannie I can just picture your before and after walking. LOL I know what you mean, by leading with the nose, and the neck sort of out, it must come with age - then throw in the hip walk, and we do look less than young and glamorous!
I think that's a great story about the baby and your SIL - lucky thing she was there, expired license or not. Gee, taxi cab drivers are known to deliver babies here, and I'm sure they've never had a license to deliver anything but their riders! Any pair of hands at a time like that is helpful. The baby and Mom do all of the work for the most part anyhow. And everyone knows those babies come when nature tells them too, there's no waiting involved!
 
Hi Kim22 I'm so glad to hear that your groin is better! What a relief that must be, as I know how it was worrisome. I can have some hope that mine will improve, too. Your OS was right when he said it can take 3 months. You're walking a lot and that's such good exercise for you and for the hip rehabilitation. I'm really longing to start walking. I used to go for a nice couple of mile walk a day, more on the weekends. I miss it so much. I think with the TENS machine, I'll test my walking a little, bit by bit and see how I do.
I Googled Paxton House and it's beautiful - very historic, set in the lovely countryside, wonderful architecture, nice lawns and woods, they even showed the garden outback. It's wonderful that you could go, and do the stairs, and listen to the tour guide! How nice for you that must have been- you're really getting back to normal now. I'm glad for you and happy you're enjoying a nice vacation and doing well.
I wonder what exercise TeeEm told you about when standing? Do you remember what post # it was? I'll look it up. I find standing difficult, and would like to do whatever I can to improve.
This weekend we have a small family celebration for my daughter's 20th birthday. I hope to bake her a nice yellow cake and serve it with fresh strawberries made into a sauce with some whipped cream. I think I'll add a little butter cream frosting, as she likes sweet and loves frosting - maybe skip the whipped cream. We'll see.
Enjoy your lovely vacation! Keep up the great recovery Kim22. I'll let you know how I'm doing. Take care!:)
 
ByGosh Here you go
When you are standing - imagine your pelvis is a bucket half filled with water which is tipping forward and spilling. Pull your pelvis up and in so the water is level. hold for 5 breathing normally. do 5 times x 5 daily when washing up, standing to talk to someone etc . nobody notices what you are doing .Tightens the core and glutes and stabilises the hip and also strengthens lower back.
Kim22 Forgot to say, that your feet should be shoulder width apart, and you should be standing nice and straight with shoulders back - as though a string is pulling you up through your head is how the PT described it.
 
BeckyR - good wishes and very kind thoughts from across the pond. I do hope that all is going well with you dear and that you will soon be feeling a whole lot better :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: x Ros
 
TeeEm - I've just tried the standing exercises you sent ByGosh - I'll certainly do them! I have OA in my lower back and it hurts like mad at times so a bit of strengthening won't go amiss. I used to attend a Pilates class until my hip stopped me and the PT asked me post-op if I had ever attended classes as she said I had a strong core so they definitely help. My glute on the operated side definitely needs strengthening - it seems to go into a spasm and feels as if I'm sitting on a brick - I hope the exercises help there too. Thanks again :flwrysmile: Ros
 
Nylsor Im terrible at remembering to do stuff. Thats my problem. I went for a PT assessment today. My ROM and flexibilty - outstanding Muscle strength - so so but not brilliant - needs work. Balance - total pants ! So thats what Ive got to work big time on now . Ive been trying to do the 'tree' yoga pose. Rubbish at it . Lol. I used to do Body Balance before the hip stopped it (mix of pilates and yoga) and used to be ok with the balancing, but not any more. Anyway, another 'glute' one I was given is lie on your front and lift your leg straight up - sort of a straight leg raise at the back. hold for 5 5 x 3 times a day. That might not be good for your back though.
 
Nylsor You're upcoming trip sounds so wonderful, with so much to celebrate. You'll have a great time with your daughter and son-in-law along, too. 45th anniversary! Wow, that's a long time - Congratulations to you and your husband, and your daughter, too. And Happy Birthday to both of you. You don't seem 65 at all- you don't look it in your picture, and you seem to be so active and busy, traveling, going out and about, working in the garden.

Your neighbors must have been thrilled with the delicious, fresh strawberries! They're so good when they're right off the plant, nice and juicy and sweet. I hope to bake a cake this weekend and put some fresh strawberries on it, and make a strawberry sauce to spoon over it for my daughter, Lucy's, 20th birthday. :) They're delicious.

TeeEm thanks for the exercises! It sounds like you just stand there and tuck your butt in, which pulls in the pelvis. My glutes are very flabby now, with hardly any walking or leg exercising yet. I'm trying to use my legs more in the pool when I go, but I'm still timid, as I don't want to have a pain flare up again. I have a TENS machine now, though, which really helps the pain, so I can be a little more brave with my activity, I feel.
 
Hi Kim, I just stopped by to say hello! Are you still away in your caravan? It sounds lovely. We are in it coldest part of the winter now, I can't wait for summer! How's your hip doing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom