THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Quick update I'm approaching 7 months in 2 weeks and when I walk (which I can do) I feel the hip ache more and limp now and again is this how it is going to be for me now or will it improve as I'm worried that apart from the pain I was in before surgery which has gone:) I'm not really any better off :(
 
No one can diagnose or predict things accurately over the internet. If you have concerns or questions, you need to discuss them with your surgeon. We’ve made suggestions to you and that’s the best we can do.
 
No one can diagnose or predict things accurately over the internet. If you have concerns or questions, you need to discuss them with your surgeon. We’ve made suggestions to you and that’s the best we can do.
@Jamie well I am doing glute strenghing exercises and walking and swimming just seems it's not improving much but just hoping it does in coming months
 
Hi im 6 months out and been on a small run/walk that in itself felt fine but the next day I had really bad thigh pain when i press a certain area it hurts is this just from my body not fully healed or from not strong enough hip flexors and abductors ? Love to hear people's thoughts on this?
 
Last edited:
@Mojo333 hi hope your well quick update I am still doing the stretches daily to improve my glute strengh and help my hip flexors I was just wondering I still get pain when I do the SLR is this normal? Also still have hip ache:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot tell you if your issues will resolve or when
But I did have some ongoing aches and issues at 7 months out... likely because I was back to my active job and overdoing things...

I looked back at my recovery thread and there were still niggles.
 
I cannot tell you if your issues will resolve or when
But I did have some ongoing aches and issues at 7 months out... likely because I was back to my active job and overdoing things...

I looked back at my recovery thread and there were still niggles.
Why am I getting the pain doing them also how long till your ache went ?
 
Stop doing this exercise! It is causing you pain and your body is telling you to stop. Walking is the only exercise you need.

As we have said repeatedly on this thread, we can not tell you when your discomfort will ease. But you can control this by stopping the exercise.
 
Stop doing this exercise! It is causing you pain and your body is telling you to stop. Walking is the only exercise you need.

As we have said repeatedly on this thread, we can not tell you when your discomfort will ease. But you can control this by stopping the exercise.
I have basically stopped all gym classes a week ago and now just swim and walk and do my strengh exercises but that is 1 of the stretches to help my glutes and hip flexors get stronger so basically STOP IT!! Has anyone ever had psoas tendinitis? As not sure if I have it or not or whether ots just ache from my body still slowly healing from the inside
 
do my strength exercises
Wondering what these involve?

Spongebob, here is an article on the tendinitis you're questioning -
Psoas Tendinopathy and surgery

If this is what you suspect, its time to revisit your surgeon for confirmation.
We are not able to diagnose any complications you may be dealing with online. Our best advice has been for you to STOP the SLR's and give all other exercises, gym, swimming etc a breather for at least several weeks, and engage in walking alone to see if it makes a difference. It seems it's not advice you are interested in following, so it's really best you go back to visit with your OS again, follow his direction post diagnosis and if there's no improvement, it may be as good as it gets for you.

I will mention once again that in the past you shared that your discomfort is at a 2 on a scale of 1-10. If that's still the case, I am truly sorry, but many live with much worse. Pain free may never be attainable. I understand it's what we all hope for, but sadly it does prove elusive for many. Best wishes going forward.
@Spongebob
 
do my strength exercises
Wondering what these involve?

Spongebob, here is an article on the tendinitis you're questioning -
Psoas Tendinopathy and surgery

If this is what you suspect, its time to revisit your surgeon for confirmation.
We are not able to diagnose any complications you may be dealing with online. Our best advice has been for you to STOP the SLR's and give all other exercises, gym, swimming etc a breather for at least several weeks, and engage in walking alone to see if it makes a difference. It seems it's not advice you are interested in following, so it's really best you go back to visit with your OS again, follow his direction post diagnosis and if there's no improvement, it may be as good as it gets for you.

I will mention once again that in the past you shared that your discomfort is at a 2 on a scale of 1-10. If that's still the case, I am truly sorry, but many live with much worse. Pain free may never be attainable. I understand it's what we all hope for, but sadly it does prove elusive for many. Best wishes going forward.
@Spongebob
@Layla Hi i actually only get 1 of those symptoms so I think it's probably not that thank god :) I don't get thigh pain,but i do get pain from rising from a chair but that instantly goes soon as I start walking I don't get pain lifting my leg and I don't get pain walking up stairs so I just think it's just a bad day for hip ache for me on my slow road to recovery and hopefully it improves
 
@Layla is it right i will get good days and bad days (like today) like today its given me a slight limp is this normal 6 months in :)
 
@Spongebob So I've reread the forum responses since my last post and the latest round of questions.

I honestly feel that for you, the Perthes disease is what makes it difficult to find the answers you are looking for here or anywhere online. 100% this is work you need to do with your OS/PT in person.

And I followed the advice I am giving you! I received wonderful support and advice on the forum. But ultimately as recovery progresses, like in your case and mine, you have to team with with OS/PT/physiatrist to come up with a game plan. Ultimately recovery is somewhat self sustaining: I've had plenty of ups and downs, but have the tools to cope with setbacks and keep moving ahead. Meditation, mindfulness are also wonderful tools that aid recovery and help keep a clear mind during the rough spots.

Wishing you all the best!



​

 
Last edited:
@Spongebob So I've reread the forum responses since my last post and the latest round of questions.

I honestly feel that for you, the Perthes disease is what makes it difficult to find the answers you are looking for here or anywhere online. 100% this is work you need to do with your OS/PT in person.



​

I'm just staying positive that 1 day even after all the years of horrible pain I have been through I will get relief :)
 
@Spongebob I have followed your post. you have said many times that you are better now then pre op. I do find that you ask for advice/opinions but never seem to accept the response. Everyone keeps telling you that we all heal on our own time. Yet you continue to repeat the same questions. I think you should go back to your OS for the answers to your questions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing your history helps understand what you’re going through. Thank you for providing that critical key. I’m sorry you had to deal with Perthes Disease as you grew up. It sounds like you did an excellent job of keeping it at bay with a lot of good exercise and activity.

As you probably know, Perthes Disease causes a reduced blood flow to the head of the femur (the “ball” in your hip joint). Lack of blood weakens the bone, causes pain, changes the shape of the head, and eventually results in its collapse and the need for a hip replacement. It’s usually a very slow process. As the bone deteriorates, your soft tissues (muscles, tendons, and ligaments) all try their best to compensate for the changes in the bone to make your hip function. Your exercising through the years probably helped you strengthen your muscles to the point where it delayed the point where you would need surgery.

Now you’ve had surgery and a couple of things have happened all at once. Not only did you have the normal trauma of hip replacement surgery, but all those readjusted soft tissues have been forced back into “normal” alignment. They will readjust, but it takes a lot of time….it’s a slow process and it’s important that you take this transition to a “normal” hip slowly. Trying to push yourself too quickly will result in a lot of pain and it could slow your recovery. You must allow your body time to readjust and normalize itself.

The best news for you is that you now have a normal hip….something you never had with Perthes Disease. The bad and deteriorating parts are gone and replaced by a functioning hip joint implant. Once you’ve healed, your hip should work beautifully…something you may never have known. That’s the good news. The bad news is that this could take quite a while. Mojo333 had it right when she told you it took 2 years for her hips to comfortably allow her to resume her very active life. You need to get your head wrapped around the fact that it could be this long for you to realize the same goal. This may seem unreal, but consider how long it has taken for your body to get to the point where surgery was required. It came about slowly, over time. Recovery will be the same….slowly over time. You cannot do anything to hurry things up. However, pushing too hard and trying to do things when it results in pain can cause you delays in your recovery.

As Mojo suggested, try and focus on the positive changes that have and will continue to take place. You are no longer taking a lot of pain medications. This is HUGE and a thing to be celebrated. The surgery removed your diseased hip and replaced it with a strong new joint. You have improved in your ability to move and do things since your surgery 2 months ago. There may be other things you can list that are ”positives.”

You plan to start going in the pool again in April. This is a step forward. But please be aware that the water will give you extra support as you move and it’s easy to overdo things. Start your time there slowly with some water walking for no longer than 20 minutes your first day. See how that goes for 48 hours. If you don’t experience a lot of pain, then go again abnd try the 20 minutes of water walking with 10 minutes of slow swimming (no frog kicks for now). Then see how that goes for the next 48 hours. Continue like this for a couple of weeks with at least one day in between your swim sessions. You can add time and different water activities if they don’t give you pain the next day. But just do it gradually. You are running a marathon here….it’s not a sprint and there is no hurry for you to get to the finish line.

If you have a doctor you were seeing for your Perthes Disease prior to surgery, I suggest you make an appointment with him/her to discuss where you are with your recovery. This person may be able to better answer your questions and convince you that with your new hip, you have a lot of life ahead of you.
@Jamie so im at 6.5 months out and still have hip ache which is normal i presume ? But the postive part is I have gone back through my forum for positive thoughts and reading this comment tells me that it will be a long road to recovery after what I have been through pre op living with Perthes disease and the affects it had on my body and now my body has to totally re adjust to a whole new me like you said @Mojo333 was 2 years until she could comfortably resume her active life I have now come to terms with the fact that it could be the same for me :) so I'm staying positive loving each day and believing that 1 day I will be in the same place :)
 
This is just the right approach for you to take with your recovery. It was a good thing to go back through and read all the posts in your thread. When you’re feeling a bit low about how slow things are going, always do that to keep things in perspective.
 
This is just the right approach for you to take with your recovery. It was a good thing to go back through and read all the posts in your thread. When you’re feeling a bit low about how slow things are going, always do that to keep things in perspective.
Definitely it is :) it seems these last few days my hip feels more of a dull ache than normal that lasts all day and a slight limp is this normal for where I am in time
 
Quick question i have been told I have weak adductor muscles on my operated leg(so they are not doing the job of keeping my body upright when I walk) which is causing me to limp and in turn is giving me more groin pain because my groin muscles are trying to help out my adductors as well as doing there own job and have got strained has anyone ever suffered this and know any good exercises or remedy to help

Thanks :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom