THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

That was my experience and many others on this forum.
I was still chilling:ice:and icing after work up to one year. No real outward swelling but it felt good and seemed to help my muscles recover.

Hopefully, you can relax a bit and get some peace of mind after your doctor appointment.
@Mojo333 at what point did you notice that your hip did not ache for the duration of the day (fade off)did it take 12 months ?
 
I was wondering is that normal at nearly 7 months post op?
Each recovery is unique, as is each person. No one can predict a timeline for you. Twelve months, eighteen months, two years, three years....we don't know. That's why is important you visit with your surgeon and ask all of the questions you ask here, then get on with your life to the best of your ability rather than ruminate over this.
Tell yourself "this is as good as its going to get", then...any improvement is a bonus.
 
I was wondering is that normal at nearly 7 months post op?
Each recovery is unique, as is each person. No one can predict a timeline for you. Twelve months, eighteen months, two years, three years....we don't know. That's why is important you visit with your surgeon and ask all of the questions you ask here, then get on with your life to the best of your ability rather than ruminate over this.
Tell yourself "this is as good as its going to get", then...any improvement is a bonus.
I am really hoping it is not as good as it will get for me and i do see improvements in the coming months but like you say if not then its better than pre op :)
 
Well today is my 7th month anniversary of my wonderful new hip hopefully we have a wonderful future ahead :)
 
Happy 7 month Hipaversary @Spongebob
[Bonesmart.org] Spongebob's Recovery Journey
 
Right so I have been to see the physio today he said I have good range of movement in my hip and good strengh but I said what's causing the pain after a gym workout and he said it's.my hip flexor is not strong enough to deal with that level of activity yet and needs to be stretched and strengthened

Could this be true anyone had any experience of this
 
I have some pain or shall I say discomfort after i work out and I am a year out. My OS told me to use Voltaire cream 3 times a day instead of Ibuprofen. It seems to work well. I tend to to just use it after workouts. Maybe that will help
 
Ok...I think we have a breakthrough moment Spongebob: to recap you 1) saw the physio in person and 2) got specific feedback on ROM and general strength, which are good but that need work hip flexor.

Is it true? YES. He saw you, evaluated you and gave you the feedback. You have FACTS. Not Dr Google, not Charlie33 guessing what's happening....all of those things just continue to fuel your uncertainty and worry.

Honestly this is GREAT NEWS: but you have to follow through , partner with your physio to create a program over the next say 4-6 weeks and then reassess. This is not a day by day thing. It is reassess progress every week or two, then see how its going.

This seems like a very straight foward plan. Now go after it! :)
 
Bad day today Why do i feel like I'm going backwards with my hip ache. Surely this surgery is supposed to change my life for the better ??Today seems to be worse than any other I have had praying it fades off soon
 
Last edited:
Thankfully you have an appointment soon. I hope you have all your questions ready and you’re able to record the visit, or have someone with you to jot down notes.
You‘ve been dealing with uncertainty far too long. With any luck you’ll receive sound advice and reassurance that you trust.
@Spongebob
 
Hi so a update i am 7.5 months post op and because I still have hip ache i decided to book a visit with my surgeon to put my mind at ease really and he did a x-ray to check everything and the x-ray was exactly the same as the 1 I had after surgery in January but before surgery my left leg was shorter than my right leg but after the surgery my left leg is now 1cm longer than my good leg (he says when he does the operation on people that had perthes he likes to make it slightly longer but i dont know why) but the hip is firmly in place and sitting perfectly and he is happy with the images and he did say it could take up to 24 months post op to fully recover and everything to settle down and the ache to fade off please tell me this is the case as I just want to feel normal again (I'm better than I was pre op but just got a dull ache) :)

But as you can see from the attached x-ray the 1 on the left is yesterday and the other is January after surgery but you can see that my left leg is now longer but to me it looks like my pelvis is off set could that be from when I was walking all them years with a short leg? Why do the pictures look different as in the 1 taken yesterday looks like my operated leg is longer than in January I'm confused
Thanks:)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Spongebob's Recovery Journey
    20230824_125735.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 86
  • [Bonesmart.org] Spongebob's Recovery Journey
    20230824_125735.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 87
he says when he does the operation on people that had perthes he likes to make it slightly longer but i dont know why)
Since you didn't think to ask him at the time, are you able to call and ask?
If you feel this question may remain in the forefront of your mind, I suggest you phone the office and get an answer so you're able to move forward with peace of mind.

the hip is firmly in place and sitting perfectly and he is happy with the images and he did say it could take up to 24 months post op to fully recover and everything to settle down and the ache to fade off please tell me this is the case
You will have to trust him on this and wait it out. He is your doctor and the medical professional you put your confidence in. You're only 7.5 months in with lots of time left for improvement.
you can see that my left leg is now longer but to me it looks like my pelvis is off set could that be from when I was walking all them years with a short leg? Why do the pictures look different as in the 1 taken yesterday looks like my operated leg is longer than in January I'm confused
Again, it sounds like you have unfinished business with your OS in regard to having your questions answered.
Hopefully you can take care all of this through a single phone conversation. I encourage you to make that call.
 
he says when he does the operation on people that had perthes he likes to make it slightly longer but i dont know why)
Since you didn't think to ask him at the time, are you able to call and ask?
If you feel this question may remain in the forefront of your mind, I suggest you phone the office and get an answer so you're able to move forward with peace of mind.

the hip is firmly in place and sitting perfectly and he is happy with the images and he did say it could take up to 24 months post op to fully recover and everything to settle down and the ache to fade off please tell me this is the case
You will have to trust him on this and wait it out. He is your doctor and the medical professional you put your confidence in. You're only 7.5 months in with lots of time left for improvement.
you can see that my left leg is now longer but to me it looks like my pelvis is off set could that be from when I was walking all them years with a short leg? Why do the pictures look different as in the 1 taken yesterday looks like my operated leg is longer than in January I'm confused
Again, it sounds like you have unfinished business with your OS in regard to having your questions answered.
Hopefully you can take care all of this through a single phone conversation. I encourage you to make that call.
Sorry but I'm just done with it now really am just so down at the minute
 
Again, it sounds like you have unfinished business with your OS in regard to having your questions answered.
Hopefully you can take care all of this through a single phone conversation. I encourage you to make that call.
Sorry but I'm just done with it now really am just so down at the minute
@Spongebob
You're still so early into your recovery and as is said repeatedly, every recovery is different. It's perfectly normal to have questions come up after a visit so call and ask you doctor directly and exactly. My doctor added length, but I don't remember exactly what he told me as to why but it was plausible.. something about soft tissue loss and compensation. Take a look a look at some other people's recoveries, read some of mine... what you're going through is normal. I felt I had to relearn how to walk properly because I'd been compensating for the bad hip so long and part of that is adjusting to the new leg length. If you're within 10mm or so then you should be good from what I've read. At 6 to 7 months I was regressing a bit due to hip flexor issues and a cortisone shot and lots of rest and it set me on the path to recovery again. I'm 16 months out now and very, very active and I still have soreness at times, sensitivity, etc. My numbness is SLOWLY getting better, my upper IT band near my incision is still ultra sensitive at times and even after all the work and exercise, my left (operated side) leg is still not as strong as right yet. RELAX!!!, really reflect on what it is they did to you, here's a bookmark to one my earlier posts take a look and I hope it will helps

There are so many people here that are so wonderful and helpful and have been through and related so much. Trust what they're telling you!!!
 
Last edited:
Again, it sounds like you have unfinished business with your OS in regard to having your questions answered.
Hopefully you can take care all of this through a single phone conversation. I encourage you to make that call.
Sorry but I'm just done with it now really am just so down at the minute
@Spongebob
You're still so early into your recovery and as is said repeatedly, every recovery is different. It's perfectly normal to have questions come up after a visit so call and ask you doctor directly and exactly. My doctor added length, but I don't remember exactly what he told me as to why but it was plausible.. something about soft tissue loss and compensation. Take a look a look at some other people's recoveries, read some of mine... what you're going through is normal. I felt I had to relearn how to walk properly because I'd been compensating for the bad hip so long and part of that is adjusting to the new leg length. If you're within 10mm or so then you should be good from what I've read. At 6 to 7 months I was regressing a bit due to hip flexor issues and a cortisone shot and lots of rest and it set me on the path to recovery again. I'm 16 months out now and very, very active and I still have soreness at times, sensitivity, etc. My numbness is SLOWLY getting better, my upper IT band near my incision is still ultra sensitive at times and even after all the work and exercise, my left (operated side) leg is still not as strong as right yet. RELAX!!!, really reflect on what it is they did to you, here's a bookmark to one my earlier posts take a look and I hope it will helps

There are so many people here that are so wonderful and helpful and have been through and related so much. Trust what they're telling you!!!
Thank you so much after reading that it has really restored my faith that i will get there but i just can't get myself down after every little niggle/ache along the way after 7.5 months like you say I'm still early in.my recovery and plenty of improvement will happen and I will get there :)
 
@Spongebob
im in the same boat fella. A month behind u and im still not where i was pre hip replacement. Im still off work and ask myself why did I get the surgery to be worse off. I cant pick anything up off the floor, get a shoe or a sock on. The improvement for me has never went day to day or even week to week. I noticed small improvements about every 2 months. When im able to do something I get excited and then bam I regress. You know the deal. You are on the younger side and rumor is its harder when your younger.
 
@Spongebob I get you are down, and frustrated, and this is a great place to express those feelings. Sometimes we need a place to vent.. That said, when you feel ready for some constructive feedback, have a look at following questions:

1) From your post on August 9, did you start a program with physio based on his feedback to improve hip flexor ROM / strength?
2) As suggested, did you make a list of questions and/or friend advocate to bring to your OS meeting? Did you mention the feedback from your physio to your OS? Overall agree with feedback that you have more work to do with OS to resolve outstanding questions.
3) Respectfully, a radiologist or second opinion OS should view the images you posted and ask them what they think, what it means for your recovery, physical therapy and outcome. From my research, the best way to observe/evaluate LL difference, pelvic tilt issues etc. is via CAT scan - three dimensional images v. two dimensional images (xray). And no have not had one done :).

Finally on pain: seeing a pain management specialist might be helpful. To recover, you have to reframe your relationship with the pain you are feeling as a normal part of your life. If you do this, it won't overwhelm you. Like you and many others here, I regularly have issues with soft tissue discomfort at 9 months out. I suspect it will continue for a long time... but every day I wake up and when the feet hit the floor just move ahead. And easier said than done.. I get down at times too... but just a thought..
 
@Spongebob I get you are down, and frustrated, and this is a great place to express those feelings. Sometimes we need a place to vent.. That said, when you feel ready for some constructive feedback, have a look at following questions:

1) From your post on August 9, did you start a program with physio based on his feedback to improve hip flexor ROM / strength?
2) As suggested, did you make a list of questions and/or friend advocate to bring to your OS meeting? Did you mention the feedback from your physio to your OS? Overall agree with feedback that you have more work to do with OS to resolve outstanding questions.
3) Respectfully, a radiologist or second opinion OS should view the images you posted and ask them what they think, what it means for your recovery, physical therapy and outcome. From my research, the best way to observe/evaluate LL difference, pelvic tilt issues etc. is via CAT scan - three dimensional images v. two dimensional images (xray). And no have not had one done :).

Finally on pain: seeing a pain management specialist might be helpful. To recover, you have to reframe your relationship with the pain you are feeling as a normal part of your life. If you do this, it won't overwhelm you. Like you and many others here, I regularly have issues with soft tissue discomfort at 9 months out. I suspect it will continue for a long time... but every day I wake up and when the feet hit the floor just move ahead. And easier said than done.. I get down at times too... but just a thought..
I'm just staying focused now not on what i can't do but what I can do :) and hopefully with a positive mindset things will work out for the better without me even thinking about it :)
 
I like the mindset; I've had to do the same. For what its worth, I had a setback four weeks ago lifting something too heavy. Pulled a muscle in operated hip. And yes a slow process that requires patience but focusing on what I can do versus cant do... good luck.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom