THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Who told you this?
 
Who told you this?
@Jamie @Mojo333 @Layla well basically it was my friend who's a personal trainer he was saying that's what it could be

but my question is I have hip ache (which is there all day) which is now giving me a limp and slight knee ache just worried as don't know What this could be weak muscles
,bursitis,tendinitis just feel I'm going backwards I just want my life back so I can enjoy every day :)
Sorry for negative post but just getting me down want to get this sorted
 
Your friend, the PT is guessing. That’s pretty much what we would be doing too. If you want more accurate information, you need to make an appointment with your GP or surgeon….someone who really knows the details of your situation. If you don’t want to do that, the best anyone here can do is to tell you to slow down on any activity that results in pain.
 
Your friend, the PT is guessing. That’s pretty much what we would be doing too. If you want more accurate information, you need to make an appointment with your GP or surgeon….someone who really knows the details of your situation. If you don’t want to do that, the best anyone here can do is to tell you to slow down on any activity that results in pain.
I have stopped all gym for now just walking and swimming also does anyone do any stretches/strengthening ?
 
also does anyone do any stretches/strengthening ?
Stop all activity and let this settle. We have advised this several times on your thread. If you are uncertain please see your GP or surgeon.
 
have hip ache (which is there all day) which is now giving me a limp and slight knee ache just worried as don't know What this could be weak muscles, bursitis, tendinitis just feel I'm going backwards
I am wondering if you ever taken the suggestion to stop all of the activity for several weeks, maybe even a full month and simply go about the activities of daily living?

That means, no PT, no stretches, exercises, SLR’s, swimming, and whatever else and you’ve been doing. You may be constantly aggravating soft tissue, making you feel you need to work harder to tighten, or strengthen muscles.
You’re spinning your wheels and getting nowhere. :tiredwheel: Please try to STOP and chill for awhile. Not just a day, or a week, but several weeks. Will you try that?

You’ve read repeatedly that this recovery can take a full year and even longer for some. You’re only seven months in. No one on this forum can give you a timeline as to when you’ll be pain free, because in reality it varies from person to person and some may never be 100% pain free.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Maybe try a 30 minute walk everyday, unless it causes you pain.
 
have hip ache (which is there all day) which is now giving me a limp and slight knee ache just worried as don't know What this could be weak muscles, bursitis, tendinitis just feel I'm going backwards
I am wondering if you ever taken the suggestion to stop all of the activity for several weeks, maybe even a full month and simply go about the activities of daily living?

That means, no PT, no stretches, exercises, SLR’s, swimming, and whatever else and you’ve been doing. You may be constantly aggravating soft tissue, making you feel you need to work harder to tighten, or strengthen muscles.
You’re spinning your wheels and getting nowhere. :tiredwheel: Please try to STOP and chill for awhile. Not just a day, or a week, but several weeks. Will you try that?

You’ve read repeatedly that this recovery can take a full year and even longer for some. You’re only seven months in. No one on this forum can give you a timeline as to when you’ll be pain free, because in reality it varies from person to person and some may never be 100% pain free.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Maybe try a 30 minute walk everyday, unless it causes you pain.
@Layla Yes I am going to do that :)so basically I have prob set my recovery back then thats why it aches more as I have done too much too soon that my body was not ready for ?
I am only doing work and walking for a month also no swimming ?
What is making me limp now and again so now I need to give my body more time
 
Last edited:
so basically I have prob set my recovery back then thats why it aches more as I have done too much too soon that my body was not ready for ?
Possibly. I don't really know, all we can do is guess.
I am only doing work and walking for a month also no swimming ?
You can try it and see if it makes a difference. It may, or may not help?

I get the feeling you're opposed to visiting with your surgeon for advice, wondering if there is a reason for your hesitation to do so?

We can only makes suggestions, with no guarantees. We don't know enough about you or what you're engaging in physically each day. Consider scheduling an appointment with your OS for your ongoing issues. Hopefully he can offer the reassurance and guidance you're seeking.
 
so basically I have prob set my recovery back then thats why it aches more as I have done too much too soon that my body was not ready for ?
Possibly. I don't really know, all we can do is guess.
I am only doing work and walking for a month also no swimming ?
You can try it and see if it makes a difference. It may, or may not help?

I get the feeling you're opposed to visiting with your surgeon for advice, wondering if there is a reason for your hesitation to do so?

We can only makes suggestions, with no guarantees. We don't know enough about you or what you're engaging in physically each day. Consider scheduling an appointment with your OS for your ongoing issues. Hopefully he can offer the reassurance and guidance you're seeking.
@Layla I have an appointment with him in 2 weeks time and hopefully he will put my mind at rest once and for all that all the bad things that I'm feeling are not necessary and everything is normal for the stage that I'm at and it's just going to take more time to fully recover :)
 
Last edited:
That is great news! I hope he's able to answer all of your questions and offer the reassurance you need to feel confident in your recovery.
Best Wishes!
@Spongebob
 
Please make sure to write down all of your concerns because it's so easy to forget topics you want to address once the appointment / conversation begins.

If you're able to bring a supportive friend or family member along as an extra set of ears it may prove beneficial afterward. These visits move so quickly, it can be difficult to retain all that was discussed.

If the surgeon doesn't bring up any connection to the Perthes', hopefully you will to learn his thoughts on how it may be affecting your recovery. Another thought to consider is recording the visit so you're able to reference it at a later date.
@Spongebob
 
Please make sure to write down all of your concerns because it's so easy to forget topics you want to address once the appointment / conversation begins.

If you're able to bring a supportive friend or family member along as an extra set of ears it may prove beneficial afterward. These visits move so quickly, it can be difficult to retain all that was discussed.

If the surgeon doesn't bring up any connection to the Perthes', hopefully you will to learn his thoughts on how it may be affecting your recovery. Another thought to consider is recording the visit so you're able to reference it at a later date.
@Spongebob
That's brilliant advice thanks:) hopefully after this meeting he says that all is well and i dont need to worry and that all is normal in my recovery and I'm well on the road to where I want to be :)
 
@Layla it seems my ache is worse in the morning then come the afternoon it's almost gone is normal I remember you saying 'MOTION IS LOTION' before but not quite sure :)
 
It never seems to hurt until the next day...:oyvey:
This is the way things usually happen with us new hippies, and the reason we caution against too much too soon.
Fairly normal to feel tighter and achier in the mornings...
 
It never seems to hurt until the next day...:oyvey:
This is the way things usually happen with us new hippies, and the reason we caution against too much too soon.
Fairly normal to feel tighter and achier in the mornings

It never seems to hurt until the next day...:oyvey:
This is the way things usually happen with us new hippies, and the reason we caution against too much too soon.
Fairly normal to feel tighter and achier in the mornings...
@Mojo333 even at 6.5 months into recovery? So should that get less and less the more I get into my recovery up to potential 12-18 months :)
 
That was my experience and many others on this forum.
I was still chilling:ice:and icing after work up to one year. No real outward swelling but it felt good and seemed to help my muscles recover.

Hopefully, you can relax a bit and get some peace of mind after your doctor appointment.
 
That was my experience and many others on this forum.
I was still chilling:ice:and icing after work up to one year. No real outward swelling but it felt good and seemed to help my muscles recover.

Hopefully, you can relax a bit and get some peace of mind after your doctor appointment.

That was my experience and many others on this forum.
I was still chilling:ice:and icing after work up to one year. No real outward swelling but it felt good and seemed to help my muscles recover.

Hopefully, you can relax a bit and get some peace of mind after your doctor appointment.
@Mojo333 so I take it the ache in the mornings fades off the closer to 12 months I get in my recovery then.

As to be honest I am seeing small changes now like when I rise from tying my shoelace the sharp pain i used to get has gone down to a very very minimal pull (which is for me a small victory :))
and also when I now stand on my operated leg the sharp pain I got before has now gone and its just a slight ache that's why I asked if the ache in mornings will go the closer I get to the magical 12 months recovery (how long until it did it for you?) as I'm not quite at 7 months and starting to like I said these small victories :)
 
I remember you saying 'MOTION IS LOTION' before but not quite sure :)
I may have? Don't recall, its a phrase the surgery site PT used when I met her a week before my THR.
She certainly didn't coin the phrase, I've read it on this site many times. Most do find they're stiff upon rising from bed, or even sitting for a length of time, then able to "walk it off" through movement.
So should that get less and less the more I get into my recovery up to potential 12-18 months :)
You very well may notice improvement into your second and even third year post op. You have a ways to go, so sit back and try to enjoy the ride, or you'll drive yourself bonkers over this.
 
I remember you saying 'MOTION IS LOTION' before but not quite sure :)
I may have? Don't recall, its a phrase the surgery site PT used when I met her a week before my THR.
She certainly didn't coin the phrase, I've read it on this site many times. Most do find they're stiff upon rising from bed, or even sitting for a length of time, then able to "walk it off" through movement.
So should that get less and less the more I get into my recovery up to potential 12-18 months :)
You very well may notice improvement into your second and even third year post op. You have a ways to go, so sit back and try to enjoy the ride, or you'll drive yourself bonkers over this.
@Layla I feel the ache more in a morning up until about dinner time then it fades off a bit that's why I was wondering is that normal at nearly 7 months post op? (Or just hip ache in general) I'm now calming myself down now like i said earlier I have noticed now small little victories like just a slight pull when I stand on my operated leg (was a sharp pain 2 weeks ago)
And just a slight pull upon rising from tieing my shoelaces and being able to tie my shoelaces ( was a sharp pain 2 weeks ago) so when people on my forum said it could take up to 12-18 months to feel normal and get the full benefit of this surgery I dismissed it but now I'm fully aware that is going to be the case i honestly thought i would be fully recovered at 12 weeks but how wrong was i time to keep the faith and trust the process
 
Back
Top Bottom