THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Spongebob, I understand your frustrations, fears, anger, concerns, etc. so let me tell you a little story. For several years I was lead counselor in a drug treatment inpatient program and sooner or later every client would say, "I want recovery." My immediate question was, "Tell me about your vision of recovery. Do you want to try to save your relationship? Do you want to get your first driver's license after driving illegally for years? How about a legitimate job where you pay taxes? Would you like to feel better physically and spiritually?" I stressed that each person's recovery was different and could not, would not look like someone else's. It seems as though many people have said this to you, in the same or different words. I know my own recovery from knee surgery last year was unique because I was still stuck in a wheelchair after eight weeks. My ROM was poor, but at the same time I experienced less physical pain than many others here on BoneSmart. By reading many postings, I realized that while we might "excel" in some areas of recovery, we might be lagging behind in others. And I came to the realization that this is okay! And now, five days after hip surgery, I'm sweating nothing.

Please relax and focus on what you CAN so, on the decrease in your pain, on goals for your future. You will get better, maybe not 100%, but how pefect do you need to be anyhow?

Marilyn
 
pain gets a lot better, soreness is mainly after working out. I'm waiting for the day i can't feel it there anymore, it will happen. Are you walking and doing the PT exercises? Constant movement is best.
Yes I am walking and doing exercises my pain is also mainly worse after workout
 
pain gets a lot better, soreness is mainly after working out. I'm waiting for the day i can't feel it there anymore, it will happen. Are you walking and doing the PT exercises? Constant movement is best.
It's like today I woke up 4 months post op with quite a bad hip ache to the point it made me limp a little I thought it was supposed to be getting better now slowly 4 months on not nearly as bad as pre-op
 
@Spongebob Not sure why you are confused. Layla is simply telling you that if you are not reassured with the answers you have repeatedly received on this thread - please call your surgeon and get advice there. No one can predict when you will be pain free.

There is no schedule or calendar attached to this recovery. I recommend you just relax and let your body heal. Not being able to do any SLRs at this point is not critical.
Hi thanks for that im trying to get it in my head that I still have hip ache similar to what it was like pre-op and gives me similar restrictions but I'm hoping 1 day soon that fades away to give me pain free living and the life I deserve after 9 years of suffering
 
@Jaycey @Mojo333 I am now over 4 months post op and the last few days the hip ache seems to have got worse is this normal being caused from too much activity ? And what is it
 
Or longer depending on your situation. You said you limped around for years before the THR. It is going to take awhile for your body to heal. As I said before, relax and let the healing happen. Maybe cut down on any exercises you are doing.
 
Or longer depending on your situation. You said you limped around for years before the THR. It is going to take awhile for your body to heal. As I said before, relax and let the healing happen. Maybe cut down on any exercises you are doing.
It's a hard balance from cutting back and still doing some I think
 
@Spongebob, it sounds like you may have some anxiety regarding your recovery. I think a follow up visit with your surgeon may help you feel better about it. Or is there a nurse’s line you can call? My surgery center gave me a phone number that’s answered by surgical center nurses who can answer most any question about recovery. Good luck!
 
@Spongebob, it sounds like you may have some anxiety regarding your recovery. I think a follow up visit with your surgeon may help you feel better about it. Or is there a nurse’s line you can call? My surgery center gave me a phone number that’s answered by surgical center nurses who can answer most any question about recovery. Good luck!
Just think i to need to chill relax and understand that the pain is going to be there for a while before it gets better just trying my brain knowing I have hip ache now like pre surgery
 
Or that. :heehee: My daughter has medical anxiety and sometimes she just needs to discuss an issue with her doctor. No amount of reading or reasoning or talking about it with others will help. Luckily, her doctor is super compassionate and patient with her. She makes my daughter feel better always.
 
Sponge,
I'll say this once more and only once more, if you are exercising and then you are in pain and limping what do you think causes that? If you keep tearing your muscles up they are going to hurt and you will have pain.
And it's not good to limp. If you are limping use an assistive device.
I recently overdid it and had to use my cane for a couple of days.
No shame, no harm done.
There's no magic date that you will wake up and be pain free for the rest of your life.
Just doesn't happen even if you didn't have hip replaced.
I broke my ankle almost 4 years ago, totally healed but some days it aches. I just go with the flow.
You need to stop exercising that hip that is trying to heal. Or cut back or do exercise that is not too intense. Why not try doing NOTHING for a few days, rest and ice then see how you feel.
Are you taking Tylenol or anything to ease this pain? That also helps.
You are totally obsessed with becoming pain free and you think we know when that will be, if I knew I'd play the lottery and become a millionaire, that's the kind of question you are asking. One none of us can answer.
 
Or that. :heehee: My daughter has medical anxiety and sometimes she just needs to discuss an issue with her doctor. No amount of reading or reasoning or talking about it with others will help. Luckily, her doctor is super compassionate and patient with her. She makes my daughter feel better always.
Well I was told on this group preciously not to do stretches as not needed early on but wondering do I need to do them now also the hip ache I seem to have had got worse last few days is this normal
Sponge,
I'll say this once more and only once more, if you are exercising and then you are in pain and limping what do you think causes that? If you keep tearing your muscles up they are going to hurt and you will have pain.
And it's not good to limp. If you are limping use an assistive device.
I recently overdid it and had to use my cane for a couple of days.
No shame, no harm done.
There's no magic date that you will wake up and be pain free for the rest of your life.
Just doesn't happen even if you didn't have hip replaced.
I broke my ankle almost 4 years ago, totally healed but some days it aches. I just go with the flow.
You need to stop exercising that hip that is trying to heal. Or cut back or do exercise that is not too intense. Why not try doing NOTHING for a few days, rest and ice then see how you feel.
Are you taking Tylenol or anything to ease this pain? That also helps.
You are totally obsessed with becoming pain free and you think we know when that will be, if I knew I'd play the lottery and become a millionaire, that's the kind of question you are asking. One none of us can answer.
I have started taking paracetamol also I am going to do no exercise for 2 days and ice my hip see if it gets better if it does then I know it's from overdoing it also I have to do some exercise so going find something that ain't impact at all like cycling
 
Sponge,
I'll say this once more and only once more, if you are exercising and then you are in pain and limping what do you think causes that? If you keep tearing your muscles up they are going to hurt and you will have pain.
And it's not good to limp. If you are limping use an assistive device.
I recently overdid it and had to use my cane for a couple of days.
No shame, no harm done.
There's no magic date that you will wake up and be pain free for the rest of your life.
Just doesn't happen even if you didn't have hip replaced.
I broke my ankle almost 4 years ago, totally healed but some days it aches. I just go with the flow.
You need to stop exercising that hip that is trying to heal. Or cut back or do exercise that is not too intense. Why not try doing NOTHING for a few days, rest and ice then see how you feel.
Are you taking Tylenol or anything to ease this pain? That also helps.
You are totally obsessed with becoming pain free and you think we know when that will be, if I knew I'd play the lottery and become a millionaire, that's the kind of question you are asking. One none of us can answer.
@myglasshalffull So that I ain't thinking dumb if I exercise and get more hip pain and limping after it is that being caused from tearing my healing muscles ?
 
@Spongebob i haven’t had much pain in my recovery but I joined the ODIC after a hydrotherapy session. It didn’t hurt at the time but it did afterwards and so I have been in a bit of pain since. We all want to be further along which is why it happens. The advice from my physio is the same as here. Rest and Ice and Learn. It sounds as though you might be overdoing the exercise. If you aren’t, then you need to consult a professional.
 
@Spongebob i haven’t had much pain in my recovery but I joined the ODIC after a hydrotherapy session. It didn’t hurt at the time but it did afterwards and so I have been in a bit of pain since. We all want to be further along which is why it happens. The advice from my physio is the same as here. Rest and Ice and Learn. It sounds as though you might be overdoing the exercise. If you aren’t, then you need to consult a professional.
I think I may be overdoing it a bit so you say rest ice for a few days ?
 
@myglasshalffull so you are saying if I do exercise and after i get more hip pain than usual and a slight limp it's because it's tearing my already repairing muscles and i should back it off and ice a few days
 
What does your PT and OS say? They should be your source of truth when it comes to your concerns, as they are ones who can examine you. I know people have recommended time and time again to get in touch with your surgeon, but you haven't really commented on this.

If you are struggling accepting the answers they are giving you, I think speaking to a therapist could help in that regard.
 
What does your PT and OS say? They should be your source of truth when it comes to your concerns, as they are ones who can examine you. I know people have recommended time and time again to get in touch with your surgeon, but you haven't really commented on this.

If you are struggling accepting the answers they are giving you, I think speaking to a therapist could help in that regard.
I spoke to my os a few weeks ago and he discharged me and said everything was good I think it's just me trying to come to terms with the fact I have had this operation to change my life and I'm still in pain but I have to come to terms that the pain I'm in now is not the same as pre op it's just a ache in my hip from the surgery as my body is SLOWLY healing and 1 day will get better to give me my life back which has been robbed from me for the last 9 years
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom