THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

What does your PT and OS say? They should be your source of truth when it comes to your concerns, as they are ones who can examine you. I know people have recommended time and time again to get in touch with your surgeon, but you haven't really commented on this.

If you are struggling accepting the answers they are giving you, I think speaking to a therapist could help in that regard.
I spoke to my os a few weeks ago and he discharged me and said everything was good I think it's just me trying to come to terms with the fact I have had this operation to change my life and I'm still in pain but I have to come to terms that the pain I'm in now is not the same as pre op it's just a ache in my hip from the surgery as my body is SLOWLY healing and 1 day will get better to give me my life back which has been robbed from me for the last 9 years

This is great then. I hope you are able to revisit his assessment when the going gets tough.
 
What does your PT and OS say? They should be your source of truth when it comes to your concerns, as they are ones who can examine you. I know people have recommended time and time again to get in touch with your surgeon, but you haven't really commented on this.

If you are struggling accepting the answers they are giving you, I think speaking to a therapist could help in that regard.
How far post op are you ?
 
@Spongebob
All member’s surgery date, or dates, are listed at the bottom of each of their posts.
For example, notice yours in the post above right underneath your question.
It shows as:
Left THR - January 9, 2023
 
@Spongebob
All member’s surgery date, or dates, are listed at the bottom of each of their posts.
For example, notice yours in the post above right underneath your question.
It shows as:
Left THR - January 9, 2023
Thank you :) I really hope all this is worth it to put behind me the horrible 9 years suffering i had and have a wonderful life
 
Quick question is it worth me starting some sort of stretches now and also is there any sort of amino acid or something similar I can take to help with me healing process or is it best to let nature take its course?
 
Stretches are fine as long as you don’t overdo it and make your hip hurt afterwards.

Sorry, there are no medications or supplements that make healing go faster. Your body works on its own schedule, but you CAN slow down the healing and recovery process by continuing to push exercising when you hurt afterwards.
 
Quick question is it worth me starting some sort of stretches now and also is there any sort of amino acid or something similar I can take to help with me healing process or is it best to let nature take its course?
Stretches are fine as long as you don’t overdo it and make your hip hurt afterwards.

Sorry, there are no medications or supplements that make healing go faster. Your body works on its own schedule, but you CAN slow down the healing and recovery process by continuing to push exercising when you hurt afterwards.
@Jamie Yes thank you for that :) I found that 1 out I'm going to keep to exercising but only things that are low impact like I have brought a static bike to use now too as long as thats ok in terms of stretching so is it really not needed as my hip will heal all on its own with no help or is it best to do some stretches ?
Also like I said before the operation the pain was chronic now it's a ache all day so that's just healing pain now correct ?
 
Because you say you have the pain after exercising, I would guess it’s not “healing pain.” When you do too much activity before your soft tissue is ready for that level of exercise, you will get pain and/or swelling afterwards. It’s your body telling you ease off. That is why I told you stretches are fine as long as you don’t overdo it. Al static bike is fine. Just don’t overdo that either.
 
Because you say you have the pain after exercising, I would guess it’s not “healing pain.” When you do too much activity before your soft tissue is ready for that level of exercise, you will get pain and/or swelling afterwards. It’s your body telling you ease off. That is why I told you stretches are fine as long as you don’t overdo it. Al static bike is fine. Just don’t overdo that either.
@Mojo333 @Jamie Hi so I have backed off for 2 days and iced it and it seems to be better so your definitely right about that :) I can't do too much too soon just the static bike and walking and swimming from here on in also is it normal at 4 months to still have hip ache on my recovery ?
 
Last edited:
@Spongebob Here's my take on your situation:

Most folks I know personally who've recovered from hip surgery share a common experience in many aspects of recovery for the first three months. After three months, then things start to evolve and become more individual and often harder to align with more general recovery timelines.

You were in chronic pain for 9 years before surgery. You're also younger than most folks who've had replacement. So, add that together with everything else you've experienced, plus you are at 4 month mark = hard for anyone online (google, you tube, bonesmart) to give you an answer on what is 'normal' outside of you visiting a someone (ortho, physio, pain management specialist) who can get 'hands on' experience with you.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, and you will likely continue to ask the same questions, but you'd do yourself a great service to see someone in person. Good luck!
 
@Spongebob Here's my take on your situation:

Most folks I know personally who've recovered from hip surgery share a common experience in many aspects of recovery for the first three months. After three months, then things start to evolve and become more individual and often harder to align with more general recovery timelines.

You were in chronic pain for 9 years before surgery. You're also younger than most folks who've had replacement. So, add that together with everything else you've experienced, plus you are at 4 month mark = hard for anyone online (google, you tube, bonesmart) to give you an answer on what is 'normal' outside of you visiting a someone (ortho, physio, pain management specialist) who can get 'hands on' experience with you.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, and you will likely continue to ask the same questions, but you'd do yourself a great service to see someone in person. Good luck!
Hi thanks for the input much appreciated :)I was just sort of looking what others were like at 4 months hip ache wise that's all for a rough gauge
 
@Spongebob Happy to give input. Like you, I had a bad hip for a long time before surgery. I continue to work through bouts of aches/pain/discomfort. This it is normal for most folks having hip or knee replacement to experience some level of discomfort for the first year or beyond.

My suggestion for bonesmart as a resource:
1) On existing issues: post periodically to benchmark pain/experiences etc..
2) Post more frequently if you have something new to share with community. Is there something you learned in recovery that could help others who follow? 'Learn and return' a good way to think about things at 4 months.

Exercise, massage, accupuncture (in the right doses) with hands on folks locally have helped me the most at this stage.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
@Spongebob Happy to give input. Like you, I had a bad hip for a long time before surgery. I continue to work through bouts of aches/pain/discomfort. This it is normal for most folks having hip or knee replacement to experience some level of discomfort for the first year or beyond.

My suggestion for bonesmart as a resource:
1) On existing issues: post periodically to benchmark pain/experiences etc..
2) Post more frequently if you have something new to share with community. Is there something you learned in recovery that could help others who follow? 'Learn and return' a good way to think about things at 4 months.

Exercise, massage, accupuncture (in the right doses) with hands on folks locally have helped me the most at this stage.

Good luck.
How far post op you please
 
This it is normal for most folks having hip or knee replacement to experience some level of discomfort for the first year or beyond.
Charlie already answered your question. Please reread his post above.
 
I quoted that bit in my post. And you just quoted my post. Here it is again - "This it is normal for most folks having hip or knee replacement to experience some level of discomfort for the first year or beyond."
 
Coming up on six months. Think about it this way: OS operates, throws a piece of hardware in you. Takes 3 months just to get to first base of healing process. Phase 2 starts at 3 months and goes on for up to a year or two.

And does that 3 month plus work cause some pain? Yup! Challenging the scar tissue and building back range creates tissue soreness. As I type this my operated hip glute tight/painful from exercise yesterday. Appropriate exercise for all? No. For me? Yes. Did I overdo it? No. Will this pattern continue? Yes. Will I get better state versus pre op?hope so, but I don’t honestly know. But as the Mandalorian says ‘this is the way’(Star Wars Easter egg!).

Main point? I had to develop a relationship with pain that was different versus pre op. I had to make room for mild/moderate discomfort/pain in my life while still living life to fullest. And honestly I had to just figure it out for myself because what I feel may be a 9/10 for you or 1/10 for someone else. This gets to the core of the recent feedback you’ve been getting.

A big part of the recovery game is about mental toughness. But this is something that takes time and patience to figure out.

My buddy just spent a year battling cancer that cut him down to the bone. But he beat it. Could barely get out of bed after chemo. Know what he said one day when I complained to him? ‘Well you can’t die from arthritis’. Good point!!!
 
Last edited:
I believe II read at least once where you were told this before: at the bottom of each writer's comment is the date of his/her surgery. By reading this, you can instantly know how far along in recovery they are (timewise) compared to you.
 
Coming up on six months. Think about it this way: OS operates, throws a piece of hardware in you. Takes 3 months just to get to first base of healing process. Phase 2 starts at 3 months and goes on for up to a year or two.

And does that 3 month plus work cause some pain? Yup! Challenging the scar tissue and building back range creates tissue soreness. As I type this my operated hip glute tight/painful from exercise yesterday. Appropriate exercise for all? No. For me? Yes. Did I overdo it? No. Will this pattern continue? Yes. Will I get better state versus pre op?hope so, but I don’t honestly know. But as the Mandalorian says ‘this is the way’(Star Wars Easter egg!).

Main point? I had to develop a relationship with pain that was different versus pre op. I had to make room for mild/moderate discomfort/pain in my life while still living life to fullest. And honestly I had to just figure it out for myself because what I feel may be a 9/10 for you or 1/10 for someone else. This gets to the core of the recent feedback you’ve been getting.

A big part of the recovery game is about mental toughness. But this is something that takes time and patience to figure out.

My buddy just spent a year battling cancer that cut him down to the bone. But he beat it. Could barely get out of bed after chemo. Know what he said one day when I complained to him? ‘Well you can’t die from arthritis’. Good point!!!
Well said :)
 
How far post op you please
Can't see it here where he put how far out
Hi Spongebob,
In Post #343 on Thursday, above. I left you the explanation below. On the same day, you thanked me, so I assumed you understood. In an effort to make sure you do understand, please type my surgery date in a post. If you don't understand, I will try to explain again. Thanks!
All member’s surgery date, or dates, are listed at the bottom of each of their posts.
For example, notice yours in the post above right underneath your question.
It shows as:
Left THR - January 9, 2023
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom