THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

@Spongebob Happy to give input. Like you, I had a bad hip for a long time before surgery. I continue to work through bouts of aches/pain/discomfort. This it is normal for most folks having hip or knee replacement to experience some level of discomfort for the first year or beyond.

My suggestion for bonesmart as a resource:
1) On existing issues: post periodically to benchmark pain/experiences etc..
2) Post more frequently if you have something new to share with community. Is there something you learned in recovery that could help others who follow? 'Learn and return' a good way to think about things at 4 months.

Exercise, massage, accupuncture (in the right doses) with hands on folks locally have helped me the most at this stage.

Good luck.
This is a good idea to post more regular for myself and others upcoming :)
 
I believe II read at least once where you were told this before: at the bottom of each writer's comment is the date of his/her surgery. By reading this, you can instantly know how far along in recovery they are (timewise) compared to you.
I literally cannot see this
 
That's okay, let's try again.

Do you see this date -> Right THR June 27, 2017 at the bottom of my post here, in green?
 
That's okay, let's try again.

Do you see this date -> Right THR June 27, 2017 at the bottom of my post here, in green?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Spongebob's Recovery Journey
    Screenshot_20230506_224600_Samsung Internet.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 88
Do you see the dates underlined with a squiggly black line in my post
and also in yours?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Spongebob's Recovery Journey
    D6266489-789D-4355-AE95-88D39E578859.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 73
Do you see ANY green type in my posts to you?
My surgery date, in green, June 27, 2017?
 
Also, you can tap anyone's avatar, go to "About" and see info including their signature which includes surgery date.
 
Glad you all got this figured out about the signature. We do sometimes forget that some people are accessing BoneSmart on their smart phone and they need to turn the phone to landscape position to see everything fully on the screen,.
 
Woohoo! :happydance:
That's wonderful! Now you'll know how far along those that comment on your thread are.
 
I access the site on my phone and I don’t see surgery dates in signatures—just FYI. That may only be visible using a computer or notepad.
 
@Spongebob Happy to give input. Like you, I had a bad hip for a long time before surgery. I continue to work through bouts of aches/pain/discomfort. This it is normal for most folks having hip or knee replacement to experience some level of discomfort for the first year or beyond.

My suggestion for bonesmart as a resource:
1) On existing issues: post periodically to benchmark pain/experiences etc..
2) Post more frequently if you have something new to share with community. Is there something you learned in recovery that could help others who follow? 'Learn and return' a good way to think about things at 4 months.

Exercise, massage, accupuncture (in the right doses) with hands on folks locally have helped me the most at this stage.

Good luck.
:)
 
Last edited:
Coming up on six months. Think about it this way: OS operates, throws a piece of hardware in you. Takes 3 months just to get to first base of healing process. Phase 2 starts at 3 months and goes on for up to a year or two.

And does that 3 month plus work cause some pain? Yup! Challenging the scar tissue and building back range creates tissue soreness. As I type this my operated hip glute tight/painful from exercise yesterday. Appropriate exercise for all? No. For me? Yes. Did I overdo it? No. Will this pattern continue? Yes. Will I get better state versus pre op?hope so, but I don’t honestly know. But as the Mandalorian says ‘this is the way’(Star Wars Easter egg!).

Main point? I had to develop a relationship with pain that was different versus pre op. I had to make room for mild/moderate discomfort/pain in my life while still living life to fullest. And honestly I had to just figure it out for myself because what I feel may be a 9/10 for you or 1/10 for someone else. This gets to the core of the recent feedback you’ve been getting.

A big part of the recovery game is about mental toughness. But this is something that takes time and patience to figure out.

My buddy just spent a year battling cancer that cut him down to the bone. But he beat it. Could barely get out of bed after chemo. Know what he said one day when I complained to him? ‘Well you can’t die from arthritis’. Good point!!!
So do you still have hip ache 6 months on during the day etc..?So when you say you exercised that was not appropriate for others but was for you and it will continue you said yes and then you said will you get better state Vs pre op so i assume you mean your going to continue to exercise prob more than others do hoping the pain fades off to allow you to do that exercise pain free 1 day ?
 
Last edited:
@Spongebob

1) 'hip ache' is too generalized a question. Do I have ache in the operated hip joint itself? No. I don't have pain in the groin or near my replacement and never have since surgery. If I did I'd consult my OS. My aches and pains on operated side are related to soft tissue near/under scar from rebuilding range, waking up muscles from years of disuse etc..

2) Exercise: Not saying I'm exercising more or my approach is better than others. What I was trying to say is as follows: an exercise program for me, a 54 year old male @ 6 months may not be appropriate for an 80 year old @ 6 months, or for someone who was in a wheel chair pre op and had to use a cane for 2 months post op. On the other hand, there are folks who are doing an exercise program I'm doing now at 3 months and not 6 months. Some people do no exercises, others a ton and both sets are fine. What does it all mean? Recovery, like exercise programs, after the first 2-3 months, starts to take us all in unique directions that become more difficult to compare over time. So please don't try to compare!

3) On being pain free; sure, would love to be pain free someday. Hopefully the pain fades away over time. That said... no idea when that will happen. Do I struggle some days? Of course! I get ticked off and frustrated just like you and everyone else. I just try to refocus my energy on having the best day I can and not let the frustration 'win'. And that takes work!

My advice? Asking others when you should expect to become pain free, in my humble opinion, is fueling a cycle of uncertainty and anxiety in your life. Honestly mate its not helping you at all! Work the pain problem with your OS, physio, massage therapist and at some point maybe see a pain management specialist who crosses all of these disciplines and can help coordinate a customized program for YOU! In real life! That will get actual results.

I hope, as they say in gymnastics, I stuck the landing....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom