THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Morning everyone hope your all well on this fine Tuesday Well I'm officially 4 months post op today and I'm feeling wonderful mentally but I still have hip ache which brings restrictions is this normal ?
 
@Spongebob Congratulations on your four month anniversary and an improvement in your mental health. Personally I wasn’t at all prepared for the impact the operation would have on my mental state or my physical state so I found this forum enormously helpful. I’m at four and a half months and have a tender area just under the incision site (lateral scar) but it doesn’t interfere with my activity. Otherwise no aches and pains unless I’ve overdone it. I don’t think there is a ‘normal’ as such since we are all unique and all our journeys through this process will be unique - where we started from, at what point we did something about it, what the previous damage was and how it affected other parts of our body, how old we are, what level of fitness we had before, what we hope to be able to do afterwards, what weight we are, what our genetics are, whether we take care of our health or not etc etc. Glad to hear you are sounding more optimistic. Take care.
 
Happy 4 month anniversary, @Spongebob! It is hard for me to gauge how quickly the pain resolved with my first THR because my second hip started acting up so badly almost immediately! But I can tell you, I had that first hip replaced in September and it lets me know when I am relying too heavily on it during the recovery from this second surgery! So, even 8 months later it lets me know when I am doing too much.
 
Happy 4 month anniversary, @Spongebob! It is hard for me to gauge how quickly the pain resolved with my first THR because my second hip started acting up so badly almost immediately! But I can tell you, I had that first hip replaced in September and it lets me know when I am relying too heavily on it during the recovery from this second surgery! So, even 8 months later it lets me know when I am doing too much.
So 8 months on you still get told by your body of the replaced hip if you do too much ?
 
So 8 months on you still get told by your body of the replaced hip if you do too much

Do other parts of your body signal to you through discomfort, pain, swelling etc when strained?
I'll answer that question, yes. So why should this be any different?

Sadly, you seem fixated on this and no matter how you phrase, or rephrase the question, no one here can tell you when you will no longer experience pain. We don't even know how we'll feel tomorrow, or how we will react to activity we engage in, so how can we possibly predict this for you? I am sorry, we can't, plain and simple.
Go enjoy life to the best of your ability, and when your body signals that you should stop doing something, stop.
 
So 8 months on you still get told by your body of the replaced hip if you do too much

Do other parts of your body signal to you through discomfort, pain, swelling etc when strained?
I'll answer that question, yes. So why should this be any different?

Sadly, you seem fixated on this and no matter how you phrase, or rephrase the question, no one here can tell you when you will no longer experience pain. We don't even know how we'll feel tomorrow, or how we will react to activity we engage in, so how can we possibly predict this for you? I am sorry, we can't, plain and simple.
Go enjoy life to the best of your ability, and when your body signals that you should stop doing something, stop.
So basically the hip ache might never go away or ?
 
Are you pranking me? Cuz thats what I'm thinking. :heehee:
 
Are you pranking me? Cuz thats what I'm thinking. :heehee:
No I'm not I'm genuinely concerned that the hip ache I have now although is less than pre op seems its restricting me and it should be fading off
 
Then I advise you call your surgeon. We don't know you, we can't see you, we don't have your history, your surgeon does. We can't examine you and can only take you for your word when you share your activity with us.
More members than I can count have shared that we can't predict when, or if, you'll ever be pain free so it's senseless to continue posting that question here, the response will not change. No one knows. You are not hearing what you want from us, so again, please contact your surgeon with your concerns and see what reassurance he has to offer.
 
Then I advise you call your surgeon. We don't know you, we can't see you, we don't have your history, your surgeon does. We can't examine you and can only take you for your word when you share your activity with us.
More members than I can count have shared that we can't predict when, or if, you'll ever be pain free so it's senseless to continue posing that question here, the response will not change. No one knows. You are not hearing what you want from us, so again, please contact your surgeon with your concerns and see what reassurance he has to offer.
Thing is in a previous post I said will all my discomfort settle down to give me pain free living your reply was begins with a y and ends in s also that breathe relax I will get there so I'm confused
 
@Spongebob Not sure why you are confused. Layla is simply telling you that if you are not reassured with the answers you have repeatedly received on this thread - please call your surgeon and get advice there. No one can predict when you will be pain free.

There is no schedule or calendar attached to this recovery. I recommend you just relax and let your body heal. Not being able to do any SLRs at this point is not critical.
 
@Spongebob Not sure why you are confused. Layla is simply telling you that if you are not reassured with the answers you have repeatedly received on this thread - please call your surgeon and get advice there. No one can predict when you will be pain free.

There is no schedule or calendar attached to this recovery. I recommend you just relax and let your body heal. Not being able to do any SLRs at this point is not critical.
I do feel reassured now I now know that I just have to have faith that 1 day all this will be worth it to give me a wonderful life
 
hi, I'm new here and hope you get this response! I'm almost 2 years post op from THR. I couldn't squat until recently, i still have pain, i still get sore, I still get knee pain and sciatica pain, it still doesn't feel completely normal. This is normal. I do yoga and lift weights, it's just a very very slow recovery.
 
hi, I'm new here and hope you get this response! I'm almost 2 years post op from THR. I couldn't squat until recently, i still have pain, i still get sore, I still get knee pain and sciatica pain, it still doesn't feel completely normal. This is normal. I do yoga and lift weights, it's just a very very slow recovery.
That's good to read I'm 4 months post op still have hip ache and odd day with knee pain but I have learned now to take it day by day and each time I hit a personal milestone I celebrate it I now know it's going to take time to get to where i want to be but I will get there with a positive mindset and good people around me
 
If you have any questions at anytime during your recovery please feel free to reach out! I felt very alone for a long time during the first year and went to some dark places. We are all here for you and it does get better. Stay positive and strong!
 
If you have any questions at anytime during your recovery please feel free to reach out! I felt very alone for a long time during the first year and went to some dark places. We are all here for you and it does get better. Stay positive and strong!
When you say better in what way?
 
pain gets a lot better, soreness is mainly after working out. I'm waiting for the day i can't feel it there anymore, it will happen. Are you walking and doing the PT exercises? Constant movement is best.
 
Hello @Nighthawk
I noticed you offering support in a few posts above. I’d like to encourage you to start a thread and share some information regarding your surgery and recovery so we can get to know you a bit better. I created a signature of THR 2021 from some info provided in one of your posts. We’d appreciate if you share an exact date as well as which hip you had replaced and we will edit your signature accordingly.
Please join us by starting a thread!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom