THR Spasms and icy weather<'

@Descant LOL yes they don't make it clear what the aftermath is! Surgeons! I found it was often 3 steps forward then 2 back :dubious: lol. Soon though it was 3 steps forward then 1 back. It does get better i promise. The knack is not to overdo things even if you think you can. Slow but steady steps. It's still early for you and @beckylou . I think you're doing fine. Hugs :friends: Carol
 
[Bonesmart.org] Spasms and icy weather<'

It really does seem to go sideways sometimes. Hope today is a better day.
 
Thanks @Cas and @Mojo333 for your support and encouragement. It made me feel quite tearful.

For the first 3 1/2 weeks, I was boasting to friends no pain whatsoever, and walking easily with one stick very quickly.

Now, however at 5 weeks I am still curtailed by horrid raw incision pain if I move wrongly and have to cry out if I sit down awkwardly.

Last night the most dreadful night of spasms ending with half an hours sleep (usually manage 5 or 6 hours plus naps in day).

My question is I have walked outside up to 10 mins, stopped in cafe for coffee then returned. Yesterday I decided to walk round several blocks on 2 sticks, and although it didn’t seem very far, actually took me 25 mins. It felt pretty easy. Is this what gave me a bad night of spasms and also kept the incision irritated?

Wouldn’t you expect someone to be able to do that amount of walking at 5 weeks? Should I just have increased it more gradually?
 
I found gradual increases worked best for me @Descant. I would only add a block after several days of doing previous amount. A lot of times we don’t hurt right when we do something, pain can show up later. If 10 minutes seemed ok, go back to that for a couple of days, then increase by 5 minutes for a couple of days. How quickly we can do things vary from person to person. It depends on what overall damage we had prior to surgery and what has to get back in shape. Don’t worry, it’s not a race.
 
Hi @Descant
So sorry you're feeling frustrated. Losing sleep over pain and spasms
is difficult.

Consider icing your incision area if you aren't already. You're still
so early into recovery and as you're realizing there are ups and downs, but you
will make it through.

Check out the activity progression chart again. Use it as a guideline.
It was included in your original reading material but you may have forgotten its content or
overlooked it. I recall that I was unable to retain most of what I read in those very early days.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Take it slow and adjust to your comfort level. You will get there.
Best wishes for a peaceful evening and some restorative rest!
 
When I hit the ODIC club (Overdid it Club) several times, mind you....it only hurt when I stopped. My new hips could go forever, it's all that groin, thigh, incision stuff that was irritating it.
Are you still icing? Try to do that after activity as much as possible...that seemed to help me.
I was walking that much at 5 weeks, but I was hurting that much sometimes too!:sad:
I went back to work part-time, not ideal...and would be very uncomfortable when I had less time to baby things.
Sometimes we just do it, pay for it, ease off, take few days off, go back to it...body will help you figure out how much how soon.
Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
Hope all eases soon...nothing will be lost from a few easy does it days.
Hope today is a Good Day !
 
Last edited:
@MamaT SO helpful that advice! I’m surprised that you can remember such detail from 18 months ago. Was going out in car for coffee this morning, then thinking about your suggestion just walked the 10 mins to same cafe, and will do that all week. Then increase 5 mins to pub round the corner ! It felt good.

Now icing. Thanks @Layla. I do forget to ice. It’s not such common advice in UK as USA it seems to me. Looking back at activity progression chart, it does suggest 20 mins walking ok, but I think probably indoors which isn’t as taxing as outside.

@Mojo333 (is 333 a special number?) It’s very subtle your caution:- ‘just because you can, doesn’t mean you should’, and It’s giving me the confidence now to resist my own inner daredevil voices. Once you had gone back to work part time, I guess it was hard to pull back again.

Good night last night after doing no walking. Only one short episode of spasms and managed 7 hours sleep in all.
 
Hi @Descant, I increased my walking gradually and I rest, elevate and iced after every activity. I ice my incision. I get various sensations in my scar which I put down to healing. I think icing really helps. Hope everything eases soon.
@Mojo333 your comment “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. Made me laugh and that’s what my son said when I could drive again as it meant he no longer had sole use of the car :loll:
 
Yay for sleep! Things will keep getting better. By the spring you will be high stepping.:chuckmarch:
Hope today is a Good Day:yes!:

PS..number 3 I've always considered my 'lucky' #, so three 3s..
 
Hi @Descant I’m doing 2 miles most days. I’m also doing 15 minutes on the exercise bike and 2/3 minutes on the cross trainer. I don’t do any of the exercises the physio gave me as they caused groin issues. I took my time and increased everything gradually. And I rest, elevate and ice often.
I’ve really noticed a significant increase in my flexibility in the last 2/3 days. So much so that I made everyone look at me and show how impressed they were :loll:
 
@Descant, I am so happy you had a better night! I remember from 18 months ago because it was a big event in my life, I am getting ready to go through it again, and I rehear the advice on this site! I will offer one more caution, don’t compare your distance, etc. directly with others. Our @Jackie222 is a bit younger than us, that can make a difference in the short term-in the long term we will catch up! Ice is extremely helpful. I am surprised you find it not to be as much of a push in the UK as in the States. Josphine is always singing its praises. I was assuming the States were just catching up with the UK!

Hoping today is good.
 
Slow and steady wins this race @Descant
I'm hoping the spasms have lightened or disappeared and that sleep isn't as elusive.
I like Jackie's advice on icing after each activity as you're still very early into recovery.
Warm wishes for peacefully sound sleep and a great week of continued healing!
 
Hi @Descant I should probably add that up until about 1 year ago I was pretty fit, despite the pain. Even after that I got used to working through Pretty agonising pain as I helped my brother on the farm 2/3 days a week. Really quite physical work but his body is worse than mine and he never gets a break or is able to take time out for hip replacements.
I’ve felt dreadful about not being able to work since the op. The saving grace was school and university breaking up so the boys have been able to go and work.
Kept an eye of cattle yesterday while he had a day out with his wife, daughter and our boys so gave myself a few tests to see where I was at. Not ready to go back to the tough stuff yet but will be able to start helping after next weekend when the boys are both back in education. (Before you ask his wife wont help :hissy: and my niece works long shifts)
 
They’ll maybe think that you’re modelling the new Spring outfits @Gone again ! That’s a good point about uneven ground outside needing more effort. Hadn’t thought of that.

Crikey, you are fit @Jackie222. The farm explains some if it, but hard on you in all that pain. I’m not competing with you, just pleased that you have got back to such a good level so quickly. I do normally climb loads of belfry steps to bell ring, and do rock n’ roll jive and also play church organ but can’t think of doing any of that just yet.

Bless you @Layla for sending an encouraging consistent message of not being that far on yet. I realise now that
even though you are 6 months even that isn’t the end of it.

Three times lucky for us @Mojo333!

Very nice advice @MammaT . Yes, she IS much younger! Sorry that you’re getting more pain but I know that I was quite pleased when I had a bad day, because it made the surgery seem more necessary and stopped the doubts about whether or not I really needed the operation. You know all that anyway....
 
Bless you too! @Descant
You're doing great! Slow and easy will get you there.
Hope you have a wonderful week of continued recovery!
 
I was doing great! Then had a major setback the week before Christmas. From No pain, to muscle spasms from hell. All progress gone. Back to square one! This week finally feel human again. Even went on a date today!! I am not walking much, as the weather here has been unbearable. Getting a stationary bike this week. Praying for no setbacks! Coffee shop, pub, next trip bakery?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom