THR Spasms and icy weather<'

Hi! I am 10 days ahead of you and still icing often. It helps so much!!! I relate to the anxiousness and fretting....I am a Nurses Aid in our very busy University Hospital. It's hard to not let the mind wander when we know how easily things can go amiss. Glad you got looked at and are on an AB! Also, I think knitting is a wonderful distraction!! Last year at this time I learned how to knit. I can crochet wonderfully but had never tried knitting. It was so fun!!! I made scarf turned lap blanket hahahaha Haven't knitted since....crocheting is much more my style. So now you've inspired me to dig out my wool and start another crochet project!
Big hugs!!!!
 
I had the same "coming back to life" with the numbness easing and the feeling coming back being super uncomfortable after weeks of not really bothering me.
Keep close eye, but feel like just part of healing from all that trauma.
Ice, ice, ice...seriously best thing you can do, I think.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Descant
It's wise they are treating if they suspect any possibility of infection.
Hopefully the pain completely disappears with the coarse of antibiotics. I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Hopefully knitting will be a pleasant distraction for you as you continue to heal.
I knit a scarf once in my youth, nothing too fancy but I recall that I liked the sound of the knitting needles clicking as one crossed over the other. Consider listening to some soothing relaxation music as you knit.
I'll bet that will chase any anxiety away. Stop by when you're feeling stressed.....someone is always here.
Warm wishes for a peaceful relaxing weekend.
 
The only thing different @Josephine was to have my daughter, her partner and my 3 year old Grandchild come on Christmas afternoon
But that would only be the last couple of days. I was asking about the last couple of weeks!!
 
No @Josephine, nothing different. Just good steady progress over last 2 weeks. On Christmas Eve I walked on 2 crutches to Costa Coffee, 10 mins away. Felt that I could have walked much much further.

My main worry is if a superficial wound infection is likely to develop further. This pain from the wound is out of all proportion to the appearance of the incision line. I can’t even sit at the moment. Although it’s not so painful on walking after starting antibiotics.

Thank you for your input. I’m very grateful.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @danabanana for your input. Scarf turned lap blanket made me laugh. I looked at some bookmark patterns and decided to just go freestyle and copy one. I knitted what I hoped would be
a bottom sort of tassel and after half an hour it began to look like the tail of a vagrant mouse, so deciced to abandon it. It kept me happy though. Let us know if your crocheting is more successful.

Another possibility is just tapping the needles together?! Thanks @Layla. Its amazing how calming things like that can be. You’re right about soothing music. I’ve recently begun listening to Classic FM a UK radio programme and it is very comforting.
 
Now almost 5 weeks post op and have just finished 5 day course of antibiotics for wound infection. I can walk again without pain and managed 5 mins outside on 2 sticks, but I still can’t sit down without wound feeling as though it’s going to split open. Will ring GP again and ask for advice. GP has to liase with hospital regarding infections, for first year.

Meanwhile I am expecting second visit from physiotherapist. I didn’t have the courage to cancel as suggested by Josephine, but I have had the courage to not do the exercises. Although wedded to the idea that exercises would save the world, she is rather nice and has got a sense of humour. Still nervous though.
 
Hi @Descant i was just wondering if you’ve tried massaging your scar? I do it twice a day with bio oil and have found this is making a huge difference. I don’t have that tightness and the lumps and bumps are now almost totally gone. Well done on the walking.
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2018
 
I know that feeling of wound splitting @Descant. You most likely still have some swelling, especially if you have had infection. Glad they got you on antibiotics for that. Don’t let physio talk you into anything that is bothersome.
 
Thank you @Jackie 222 for your input. A lot of people like Bio Oil, I know. I had read that you can gently moisturise scar, but no more than that for first 6 to 8 weeks so as not to interfere with healing. I know that Josephine is not an advocate of massaging scars so I had been just gently keeping it soft with calendula cream. However with the wound infection I have to leave it well alone. Can’t believe you walked over 4 miles albeit unintended. Amazing progress though. Being a born again Birmingham City football fan, I hope to be cheered up after match tonight.

Thanks @MammaT also. The physio was really great and said that I needed to be seen as soon as possible and would certainly do no exercises until sure that infection cleared! It’s reassuring that you’ve had that feeling as well. Hope that your bike is working out.

Hospital appointment tomorrow afternoon to check it all out, so I’ve got my fingers crossed.
 
Oh dear @Descant I’m a die hard villa fan!! But hubby is a bluenose :heehee: . I guess a win may get you off the bottom. :rotfl: I didn’t start with the bio oil until my scar was fully healed and OS gave the all clear. I used it on previous scars with great success

Hope tomorrow goes well
 
@Descant Just caught your thread on here. Have been off over christmas. Sorry you're feeling so anxious but know it can be hard when you suddenly get a new symptom and don't know what's going on lol. Sadly we all get them but at different times. It's par for the course! I also had the blues - felt so down and depressed and cried for nothing but they do pass quickly. My swelling and numbness in operated site lasted for about 6 months and then suddenly went and I didn't realise it till later!!! Each new symptom sent me into panic mode too but with the support on here my mind was soon put to rest. I never did any physio and my hip is brill now although I am still careful how I use it at times - am worry wort - and I know it can be 1-2 years before all is fully healed. LOL. I can sympathise with you on feeling you have a setback but you may have just overdone things and your body is saying whoa. Rest up a bit for a few days and am sure you will feel the benefit. Remember we are all here for you so try not to worry and post any worries on here. Someone will have the answer. Happy healing - Carol.
 
Hope your hospital visit went well today.
Sorry about that infection @Descant Hopefully it's cleared up.
You let that physio know who's boss :heehee:
Warm wishes for continued healing!
 
Thanks @Layla. Yes hospital visit did go well thanks. Consultant very thorough in checking out wound. Not worried about incision pain, mainly because no undue redness or warmth in incision area, and also I could do all the hip movements without pain. Took X-ray, bloods and will see me again in 3 weeks. He wasn’t interested in my ongoing muscle spasms, holding up his hands and effectively saying ‘not guilty’! So I didn’t push that one since I just kind of work round them every night.

Hullo @Cas. Well I see that you’re over a year now, so you know what it’s all about. Strangely, I found more detail about stinging incisions on some plastic surgery sites, with the surgeons saying that it was a common time i.e. 5 weeks for wounds to start being painful because a lot of the little nerve endings are beginning to recover. Anyway that’s what I told myself as I inched a painful 10 mins to local Costa coffee shop and sat very gingerly. But I did it, even though much harder this time than Christmas Eve when I walked it for first time.

It’s funny what you say about overdoing it, because this all started immediately after having family overnight at Christmas. Who knows.... Everyone seems to have a different recovery pattern, but my Consultant looked me in the eye and said “there is no gradual recovery pattern. It is full of ups and downs”. Now he tells us.
 
@Descant...

I'm glad I found your thread as I am experiencing sonething very similar. I'm almost 6 weeks and after a few days of increased activity my incision site is searing with pain. No heat or redness.

I'm thinking of going to the doctors for some antib's but had hoped a fee days rest would help...so far it has a bit but once Im up and moving it flares again.
 
Hullo@beckylou. You sound very similar to me. The pain is really horrible isn’t it. My GP put me on antibiotics but only because of the pain. The surgeon doubted that there was any infection and said that GPs tend to panic because of the pain! I feel very reassured by him and am trusting that it will pass. I’m sure that it would be the right thing for you to go to the doctor for advice.

This has slowed me right down after boasting about no pain for the first 3 1/2 weeks. Have you done an awful lot more activity then?

I do find that Traumeel cream rubbed into the incision helps soothe it.
 
It's pretty gross pain and pain meds don't touch the side of it which leads me to think it's a healing nerves issue.

I was fine up up until 4 days ago. In a period of 3 days I stopped using a crutch, increased my walking AND went on a day long adventure in the car. I think the car is what did it!

Personally I feel like I've just hugely increased my ROM and activity and the tissue is having to adjust. Also have read this is not uncommon to have nerve regeneration at this stage.

I'd like to pop to my Dr's but it's the weekend and it's a looonnnngg wait and $60.
 
I think that car journey may have been a bit testing, but you wouldn’t expect it to show up in the wound really would you @beckylou. It’s hard to know. If you haven’t got deep pain on movement , can move well, no temperature, not red or warm then I’m sure that you’re safe to wait until after weekend. It’s definitely made me lose a bit of confidence, so I hope that it will soon improve for both of us.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom