THR Spasms and icy weather<'

Hi @Descant

Just a quick update. 24 hrs after starting abx and the pain was gone. Incision still tender but not the barbed wire sensation. If it was infected I caught it early, if not I have peace of mind! Win win
 
I think you are doing super and taking a very reasonable approach to recovery.
Felt varying annoyances, as all began to come back during recovery...first it was quad stuff, then groin stuff, then behind stuff...I was on vigil for potential problems...but all just recovery stuff and all have dissipated.
Get a nerve zap from nowhere infrequently on lateral thighs...
But NO HIP PAIN...and stamina is finally returning among with muscle tone and strength.
We will get there!
 
Yes, you had really horrible spams didn’t you @Berber7227 . At least mine aren’t painful like yours were, they just stop me getting back to sleep. I’m sure they’re related to overdoing it. Encouraging that you’re feeling so much better now.

Glad your date worked out. I met my partner 5 years ago on dating website after both of us widowed. Not after double hip op though! How cool is that.

One of my anxieties about him having to look after me after THR was that he’d never seen my feet before. In my case it would have been a disastrous feature to include in my profile and in the UK you can more or less keep your feet well covered. Well, one of the joyous things is that he doesn’t seem to have been put off at all and has been so kind and caring. Another worry dealt with!

@beckylou . I was wondering about you, but then read on your thread that you’d been to doctor. I agree, who cares whether infection or not, so long as pain going. After 2 weeks of torture I can now sit down pretty comfortably and without looking as though I have just had a haemmorrhoidectomy
 
Hi @Descant.
How are you doing? Coming up on your 2 month anniversary.
Looking back at my old posts, I remembered I was still dealing with stamina...good old energy drain was still in full effect and had to be reminded about icing and elevating as I was whining about ongoing pains and tightness.
Still early days, but I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to brighten.
The spring season will likely liven us all up a bit.
Hope you have a great week!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Mojo 333. Aaaawh ..that feels so nice to have an enquiry after my progress.

Yes, I am now almost 8 weeks post op.

I am definitely feeling more normal!

Achievements: Can walk beautifully without a limp, but still with mostly 2 sticks outside and often with 1 stick inside (following surgeons instructions after wound inflammation). No great distances yet.

Have been out on my own to local cafe 10mins away.

Have been to supper party and sat for 4 hours and wasn’t tired or stiff.

Have been to theatre last night with some friends 15 mins away, used handicapped toilet easily, queued up at the bar, chatted with the man behind and bought myself a glass of wine and walked up 6 flights of steps to car park.

Practising organ at home now and went to church today to have 15 mins on organ there. Main difficulty was swinging legs to get round on organ bench which was then a bit too far out. It didn’t hurt at all when playing notes with feet although was careful about extreme movements.

Wound pain much less. Car journey last night was reasonably comfortable for first time.

Downside:

Wound inflammation comes and goes but responds quickly to Sudacrem at the moment and goes back to normal

Abdominal spasms seem worse. If im lucky I can sleep for 2 hours then can’t get back to sleep because spasms start. Painless, like I’m retching or something, lasting 3 secs and coming every 5 secs or so. Unless I get up for hour or so the won’t stop, although now I can lie on operated side that quite often will stop them dead until that discomfort wakes me up. This can repeat throughout night.

I can’t find anybody in the World who has had abdominal spasms after hip replacement! Although quite a few people do have muscle spasms after hip and knee surgery.

I would like to try some Valium but my GP didnt want to prescribe it. I found at 3am that you can buy it online without a prescription and rather foolishly ordered some , but have since realised that it can be illegal and this website cheapsleepingtablets.com is a bit dodgy!!! It all seemed like a good idea in the middle of the night and when I seemed to be in the middle of tsunami of spasms. I read a whole host of bad reviews after I had ordered. My bank assures me that I can block the payment and I think that I will go back to my GP.

Sorry Mojo333 I seem to have given you my life history. I don’t know where you get your energy to care about everyone else so much when you are still on your own journey. And where is your path going to next take you? As you hinted on your thread, now that you are almost through it, and your lovely girl and brave boy will never give you any trouble again (ha!). Are you thinking of doing something else or do you love what you do?
 
Oh @Descant so glad you cancelled the order. Not only may they be illegal, they may not really be what they say they are. That is strange abdominal issue you are having. Perhaps gp could give you a stomach medication?
 
Hi @Descant
It sounds like your recovery is progressing really well! Lots of activity and you're handling it like a champ.
I'm sorry for the stomach issues. It sounds frustrating.
I'd recommend you touch base with your doctor again. While I'm not a
medical professional, I've drank Ginger tea in the past when I've had digestive issues
and found some relief. Also consider looking into a good pro-biotic to get your digestive tract back in balance. Consider doing some research on each and see what you think. I'm sorry that this seems to
be the only fly in the ointment currently. I sure hope you get it figured out.
Best wishes for a great week!
 
That’s true @MammaT, that’s what some of the reviews were saying...pills in brown wrappers!

It’s an external muscular thing @Layla.....like you can move your muscles around a bit like a belly dance but involuntary. My digestion is great. I have tried peppermint and camomile tea but am trying ginger tea now at this very moment, why not. You have also made me think about other antispasmodics and I am going to send for some magnesium oil. I know that is always recommended for muscle spasms and restless legs etc.

You might check that out for your heel problem. It seems to help a lot of aches and pains.

Oh well back to bed and try again.
 
Hi @Descant
External, is quite different. I agree with your idea of trying the Magnesium. Both my mom and husband
have successfully used that supplement to relieve those nasty leg cramps that wake you out of a dead sleep.
Since we have a supply of it here, maybe I will try it for my heel. If it doesn't help, nothing lost as it has additional benefits. Thanks for the idea and a great night to you!
 
I would like to get a job with the national parks system. I got my wildlife associate degree at the ripe age of 42 and my GIS/GPS degree and want to work in wildlife management and conservation.
I'm very happy helping folks with food insecurities as it is personally gratifying but that would definitely be my passion to work as a wildlife Tech.
These new hips and their influence in improving my overall physical condition has reinvigorated my hope to pursue something in that field. We will see.
I'm sorry you are struggling with stomach issues...hope it is just one of those weird side effects time will heal.
Sending good mojo your way:curtsey:
 
Last edited:
I love that you’re so clear that you want to do that @Mojo333 . As your forum advisor, you know that there’s no time like the present! I hope that you’ll be ready to take the plunge soon. I had to look up GIS/GPS, sounds fascinating.

Yes thank you, re abdominal muscle/diaphragm spasms. One of the GPs today has written prescription for 9 x 2mg Valium tablets. “Just to try and break cycle. No more than that because of risk of addiction”. If 5mg is needed to relax muscles then that’s the equivalent of 3 and half doses. Still better than nothing.
 
Hope that does the trick.
As soon as I got my certification, the economy in the US hit the skids.
Most of those jobs are state or federal which I was looking for, but hiring was at standstill.
Hopefully with the recent upturn there will be increased availability.
Helping to feed hungry people is pretty satisfying, just doesn't do much for the bill-paying department.
Continued best wishes to you.
Try to join us on our big Joint Replacement Awareness Day event I know you must have seen. Trying to put Bonesmart and resources out there for alot of folks who may need advice or information or support.
The more folks we have, the more support we can solicit.
 
Last edited:
MIS minimally invasive surgery @zinnia and @Mojo333. A 4 inch scar and no pain apart from incision. I was as surprised as anyone and had to look it up. There are pros and cons apparently. The surgeon has to be skilled to get it in the right position through such a small incision, but the muscles aren’t cut, just pulled aside. (I think!).

Well, I do hope that something comes up for you. Can you get a foot in through voluntary work, because I can see that you have a lot of time on your hands (LOL!). It would be so good if it comes about for you.

Have tried to register on joint replacement day but am going round in circles to try and get a password registered. Will try again when have more energy.
 
I didn’t have to use a password to register-it just seemed to work with my bonesmart info ...
 
11 weeks post op summary.

Should have had follow up appointment at hospital today but cancelled yesterday by hospital to be rearranged.

I am walking great now without a stick, although I haven’t tried more than one mile at a time.

My diaphragm/abdominal muscle spasms are worsening. Acupuncture failed, chiropractor failed. My home physio is going to ask advice from her supervisor and wants me to go back to GP. I have booked an appointment for 2 weeks in order to experiment more with the baclofen that he prescribed. At the moment I can get reasonable nights sleep with over the counter sleeping aid Nytol which has been amazing. Prescribed by myself!

Last night I travelled 1 1/2 hours in car to Sam Baker gig. He is back in UK to promote his latest album. This was to repay my partner for sitting through Vivaldi recently.

This guy is so moving, the way that he fought back after a bomb explosion to play the guitar again with his damaged hand. Now however my wound is a bit inflamed again, although I remember @zinnia that happened to you after all your travelling and wonder how it is now? Also I am now having spasms in the daytime which hasn’t happened before. Is it normal after as long as 11 weeks to be a bit shaken up after a relatively long car journey and then sitting for longer than usual?

I need my friends @Layla and @Mojo333 to advise me on this. I had hoped to go back to jiving tonight for first time but wonder now whether too ambitious. I have been feeling a bit poleaxed by these spasms which no one can explain, but I realise I could have far worse problems.
 
My diaphragm/abdominal muscle spasms are worsening.
I understood you were having some nerve pain/spasms in regard to your surgical site but torso?

Will tag @Josephine but want to say I can't imagine this being related. Did this begin or worsen with baclofen? Reaction to meds?

You know I have no medical expertise but I know it is possible for nerves too be damaged with this surgery.
Thankfully mine has all resolved, except for a minor zap now and then and incision scar tugging a bit when I move certain ways.
Maybe the suggestion to see GP is a veiled way of saying not sore you are going to get straight answer from OS if something isn't right with surgery?
I'm sorry you are struggling, Descant..but I'm glad you are pursuing and not letting it stop you with most of your recovery.
Sounds like hip doesn't hurt, but other nonsense is getting to you.
Let's see if Jo has ever heard of something to do with this...
Happy Valentine's Day, BTW.
 
Hi @Descant
Great news on walking unassisted....good for you!

I am happy you're getting the diaphragm / abdominal muscle issues checked out.
Can't imagine what that is, or how it feels. Certainly hope it's not painful for you.
I'll be curious to hear Jo weigh in on that. Please check back in the event she has questions.

Sam Baker / Vivaldi, had to laugh, what a change in genre! Wonder how each of you held up
listening to the others musical preference. Were you both good sports? :heehee:

I don't find it odd that you are feeling a bit off after traveling an hour and a half, sitting through a concert, then traveling another hour and a half home. Consider icing, I'll bet it brings you some relief.

I don't know what to advise on dancing because you seem troubled by the continued spasms. I worry
that more excitement / activity could aggravate whatever is causing them. Just my opinion as I'm not a medical professional as reflected in red Staff Disclaimer below. Can you get in to see your PCP any sooner than 2 weeks from now, so you can get a diagnosis and move forward? I'd try by making a call and telling them your symptoms have worsened. I'll bet they'd get you in for a visit sooner....

We want our Descant happy and well and back out doing what she loves to do.
Sending some Valentines Day love your way :loveshwr: :flwrysmile: Please stay in touch!
 
Hullo @Mojo333 Thank you for such a kind response. It makes me feel not so alone. This all started within a few days from surgery but today I’m at my wits end really because it’s as though I have permanent spasm in every position. The baclofen I don’t think has any effect but I am slowly increasing the dose to the maximum 10mg three times per day. Thank you for tagging Josephine - that has made me take paracetamol and half codeine now! It may work..........

I felt so bad because my partner, more sentimental than I am gave me a card this morning, but I have just managed to cobble together a ‘thank you card’ from the in house store and allowed him to open the chocolates given to ME by a friend and he seems happy with that! And you? Have you sent any?
 
Thank you @Layla. I do so appreciate your caring concern and advice and how much you listen. I can’t believe how many people you and your colleagues help. I think that you are right, that I need to get an earlier appointment with the GP. Sending Valentines love your way as well.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom