Hip Infection Spacer information needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now after 8 days I am at home.. Spacer surgery went as planer BUT OMG the pain was/is excrutiating!! I never felt such pain and noise in My leg sounds like its crackling in there... My doctor said the part of the hip that was in My thigh bone took 2 hours to take out.. I am now waiting 6 weeks to the next operation if the infection is gone .. Spacer OP is not easy just wanted to say IT was a nightmare

@Issa65, I'm glad you're back at home and this part is behind you. I'm sorry it is so painful. Please know that you are in my thoughts and that I'm sending out healing vibes for you.
We're here. Never hesitate to post with any thoughts or concerns you might have.
Be well, friend. :)

Wanted to share my tale of the "spacer" I have had now since Nov 18 2015. My infection is thank God gone and my new operation is next week.

I expected the spacer to be a bit more flexible and anti pain but I have not left my home (only 4 times) in 3 months...I cannot put pressure on my leg so I have a walker and wheelchair when I go out and even a office chair to sit by my TV. My spacer looks different from the ones you guys posted. It's very cylindrical like at the top not rounded? Anyone had one like this?

I haven't been able to sleep on the side or raise my operated leg to my stomach. It's impossible. It sounds and feels it will break inside. So I have pain in all my muscles on my body specially my arms and hands are totally inflamed.

The maximum I can walk is to the bathroom and a bit in the kitchen. Since my daughter took care of me all this time and now had to work again I am alone now 1 month. The nurses come home to me to take blood samples and I am so pale because of staying in.

Is this how anyone else has experienced a "spacer life"? Its been hell but it's soon over next week. How do you guys who have had 2 revision OP dealt with rehab after a second op?? Pain? Rehab? please help. Isabelle

@Issa65 I have moved your post into you recovery thread as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
My spacer looks different from the ones you guys posted. It's very cylindrical like at the top not rounded?
It all depends if your surgeon bought in a premade one or made it himself at the table. This is the premade one

abx prefashioned spacers.jpg

However, if he didn't use that, he may have mixed up a packet of bone cement during your op and roughly fashioned it to fit into the femur and the space where the removed implants would have been in order to keep the space open and prevent the muscles and ligaments from contracting while the antibiotic did their job.

@Issa65 I am certainly glad to read that your infection is cleared up. But so sorry this has all been a nightmare for you. I certainly hope you see a better result after your op next week. Please do keep us updated!

hi JOsefina ...I had really bad contractions screamed for 3 days after the OP....Mine is very stale and I can hear it when I move in a certain way....very uncomfortable...

@Issa65,

I am new to this forum and just finding my way around, learning how to use this. I, too, am fighting an infection and recently had a spacer placed in my right hip. I envy you as I read that you are at the tail end of this miserable experience! How long did you have your spacer? Did it ever get any better to live with? Does the pain abate over time or do I live with this for 3 months? I have so many questions and since you seem to have just gone through this, perhaps you could 'show me the way'! Hope you are doing well.

I have a spacer which was meant to be replaced last monday...BUT my CRP is a bit higher again...so they did a Biopsy in my hip to see if the infection is back after 10 weeks of low CRP and hope it was gone....I am waiting 7 days for resluts, but as they made a test of my fliuds and there was no sign there...but the bone samples take longer....I am so sad I thaught this was over, since my spacer has been hell....My entire body aces because I cannot use that leg at all----Did anyone have this happen to them? That the bacteria was gone after antibiotics and then after 4 weeks they came back??
I am on the edge....feels so scary if this is true----thanx for all help

I am so sorry you are still suffering with that spacer. Fingers crossed that your test results come back with no infection. These infections can be very tricky. Hang in there!

@Issa65, I have merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?

Isabelle, I am so, so sorry to see this happen to you. This would be very upsetting if it did come back. I think unusual too. You said they did take fluid out of the hip and it was normal? Do you know what your SED and CRP levels are now? My ID Dr. said that these levels can fluctuate and he doesn't concern himself with a little change in the levels so it depends on how much your levels have fluctuated.

You must be at wits end - I know I would be. I'm so tired of this spacer and all the limitations it's put on me so I feel your frustration completely.
I will be thinking about you and praying for you! :prayer: Please let us know the results when they come in.

thanx for your post...my lever was 3,5 CRP and one week before OP it was 7,7 then one day before OP it was 7,1 and they wanted to be sure....I have pain in 4 months with this spacer..feel like a prisoner in my home..never go out....I have had a cold as well before the CRP was taken....I pray its gone...I want my health back....my daughter is getting married in 5 weeks....i hope I will get operated soon...

So It seems to be your CRP is elevated. However, your fluid biopsy was clear. If I understand correctly, now they are checking your bone? Did you just come off oral antibiotics or an IV picc line?

I know what you feel like being a prisoner in your own home. This whole procedure we are put through is extremely frustrating, painful, and very scary and this is putting it lightly. You feel so alone and sad right now and you have every right to be. There is no going forward right now until the spacer is removed and you receive your new hip. Setting goals each day helps me to keep my spirits up. I come up with a few things to accomplish each day to give myself some self worth at the end of the day. Please use this site to talk to us, it will help you feel more connected to people who understand what you re going through. I'm learning along the way so if there is anything I can help with, please feel free to ask.

You are obviously nervous about making your daughter's wedding in 5 weeks! I hope you can work out a plan to get you there - even if you have to go in a wheelchair! :angel:

yes my CRP was 3.5 and then 7,7----after 1 week it went down again to 7.1....I had IV 10 days in november then 6 weeks oral...after that my CRP was 5.2 and 2 weeks after that 3,5....he took the fluid out from my hip and it showed no signs...the bone tests are being checked and he will call me on thursday..The surgent does not think the bacteria is back...I am doing the best I can....its very frustrating...does you spacer permit you any movements with your leg? mine is very stale...the pain is daily...thanx so much for your note it keeps me going...

No. I don't have much movement/flexibility with my spacer. It's painful and restrictive. I have about 6 more weeks with this before my final stage. The worst is the evening when I swell a lot in both my feet and my pain increases. I rely on pain meds to control my pain. I would not make it through 3 months without pain meds.

I've been on IV picc line for 6 weeks and just had it removed today! So glad that is done. I can now use crutches to get around along with my walker. I couldn't use crutches up until now because it would interfere with the picc line.

I want to agree with your surgeon that the infection has not returned and it is something else. Your joint fluid was clear so that is good news. How is the rest of your blood work? Do you know what your SED rate is and WBC (white blood count), platelet count, hemoglobin? I know my ID Dr. will look at the whole picture before making his diagnosis.

Hang in there and try to occupy your time with positive things each day until you hear what your surgeon says on Thursday. It's hard to stay positive but I know I feel a little better at the end of the day when I do.

Blessings,

I am not so familiar with thr terms...but my other blod sample was 41,,,,and the white blodcells are normal...we have 10 days with IV (I was in hhospital 11 days) the rest 6 weeks is oral at home...my doctor says its different for all countries....can you bend you leg while lying down? I cant because its impossible...I wonder all the time how it will be to walk after 4 months? i am so happy you share this with me----hugs

my doctor called today..after 7 days there are no sighs of the bacteria....he wants to wait 2-3 days to be 100% sure,,,,so I am very happy...if its ok they will operate in my new hip in March....not a day to late...

Just want to say how much sympathy and compassion I feel for you ladies who have suffered through infections! I admire your courage and that you haven't totally fallen apart! How wonderful to find contact here with others with similar experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Issa65 Just seeing this post and I am so happy and relieved to hear the good news!:loveshwr: I can't imagine what you must have gone through once they cancelled your spacer removal due to your unsettling blood work. Since I am right behind you, this was extremely uncomfortable for me as well. But, you are fine and it's time for you to think forward to new beginnings, restored health, and happiness you overwhelmingly deserve!
Will you be able to make your daughter's wedding?:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back