Guest viewing is limited

TKR SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)

Hope your Christmas went well and wasn't too taxing on your knee. There was so much cooking, visiting and walking to be done around here the week before Christmas and time to elevate and ice seemed at a premium. Hope your new knee performed beautifully at whatever you asked it to do.
 
Hey Hey!

Wow I've been gone much too long, sorry about that! I sure hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year! We had a pretty good time, I only helped a bit in the kitchen and that was mostly during cookie time and I sat as much as I could vs standing up. New Years was laid back, hubby cooked up a bunch of appetizers and we watched tv and played games with the kiddos. All in all, a successful end of 2017! :happydance:

So lets see, I am now 7 weeks post -op! Gosh time sure does seem to be flying by most days, though I am still home bound because I have not tried to drive yet. I probably could now, I'll maybe test out on Sunday with a less than 5 min drive to church, easy drive. I am still at pt twice a week, and while I hear such horror stories of people with super aggressive pt's, I have been very lucky in that department because when I say stop they do so. I have improved soo much in term of ROM since surgery, so for that I am happy.

Last week at 6 weeks my bend was 95 and 98 passive, but when I say passive, I mean they were barely pushing and stopped when I said too. It really didn't hurt, but my knee felt like it was as the stopping point. I had pt today, and used the stationary bike for a bit, really just to move and stretch by no means ride. During my 10 mins or so going back and forth as far as I could, I made a rotation but very slowly and was not on purpose LOL it even surprised the pt. :heehee: I was expecting a lot of pain, but nope. So I just going back and forth and accidentally made another rotation and bam no real pain, just tightness down the front of my knee. :yes!: While on the bike they measured my bend, 102 baby! :egypdance::egypdance::egypdance:. Then off to do some stretching to work on extension and some good massage time on my super tight hamstring. They measured my extension as well, I have improved 15 degrees (sorry can't remember the number) since last week.

Alas before anyone thinks I am crazy and am over doing exercises, I rarely do any exercise at home other than get up and walk around the house! :walking::walking:I'd love to go out and walk but for Alabama it's been freezing the last 2 weeks, and this past week wind chills were negative in the morning and teens/low 20s day time so inside I stay! We need a freezing cold emoji! :snork:

It seem to be my biggest trouble is still sleeping. Well ok, going to sleep. Right now the pain is hard because its soo cold esp my left knee with no surgery yet, HURTS! Then I am trying to get comfy, toss and turn quite a bit. When I finally get settled it is near 1-2 am. :sos: Once I am asleep I usually do good, but it's getting comfy and asleep to start with.

I report back to my surgeon on Tuesday next week. I am guessing maybe we'll discuss lefty for surgery. I will try to do better about getting on here and updating and checking in with others! It's easier to read on my phone but not type such long messages!

Talk soon!
 
Yea for being able to drive. I am a lefty and have been able to drive after the 4th week. I use a pick-up so the 1st step up into it is a doozy. And with all the snow, I don't want to slip off the running board step if I tried to use that. Hope you don't have any freezing rain to deal with.
 
You’re doing so well! That sleep thing, though... not much you can do but wait it out!
 
@Arttie I have not driven yet, going to try tomorrow for a quick trip to church. I miss it but I know as soon as I get driving good it'll be time for the next knee LOL. Luckily we have not had any real weather here in N. Alabama to be concerned with other than COLD. They say it might be wintry mix Sun night into Mon but I am doubtful. You better be careful getting into that truck!

@SusieShoes I know, it's just rough. I can't figure out what I need to do. I try my meds at least 2 hours before I want to go to sleep nothing. I try the hour before, nada. I can't win LOL I am sure it'll be a temporary thing because when I have lefty done, I'll be sleeping a bunch the first 2 weeks, if I follow righty's recovery.
 
The sleeping is always such a hard thing to get back to. I slept in my recliner and my bed whenever I could. It didn't have to be any set time, any sleep is good sleep!

All in all, you're doing great! Wait until you drive tomorrow. You will feel so free!
 
Hey girlie......so I'm wondering. How are you doing with pain ?? What are you taking ??

I'm in the same boat as you. My right knee is first and then my left. I give my left knee daily pep talks so it can just hold out a little bit longer. LoL

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
 
@Pookims Pain is pretty minimal, on a scale of 1-10, daily is around 1, mostly discomfort not so much as pain. There are days here and there that I am up to a 3-4. I am only taking muscle relaxer and tylenol now. I usually take twice a day as needed, occasionally three times.

I find out soon about my left knee, not really looking forward to starting recovery again lol but looking forward to 2 new knees that work and don't hurt!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Right knee at 7 weeks :)

[Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Pookims Pain is pretty minimal, on a scale of 1-10, daily is around 1, mostly discomfort not so much as pain. There are days here and there that I am up to a 3-4. I am only taking muscle relaxer and tylenol now. I usually take twice a day as needed, occasionally three times.

I find out soon about my left knee, not really looking forward to starting recovery again lol but looking forward to 2 new knees that work and don't hurt!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@SpaceGirl. That is pretty awesome. I have to take pain medication in a liquid form and I believe they make liquid Tylenol so that's good news.
Not being in pain is totally going to be something new.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
 
Pookims, Oh you should be fine on the Tylenol and I am sure as long as you talk to your doctor prior you will be get the appropriate meds you need for pain :) my sis has to take liquid everything, or capsules that break and pour out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night I went out with some ladies from church for dinner. It was soo great to get out and be around people and have adult conversation! I was there for about 2 hours with my leg down. It was a little achy towards the end but over night, ouch! Icing and elevating today. It was so worth it though!

I would have propped it up but we were a large group (20) and no where to even put an extra chair and the restaurant was super busy. I did end up taking my last oxy last night around midnight I believe in order to get some sleep.

Other than that I am plugging along. On Fri this week coming, hubby and I are going on date night, dinner and probably a movie, which have recliners so I can prop my leg! It will be nice to get out again. I am trying to enjoy what I can without a lot of pain while I can since the next surgery will be soonish.

Have a great Sunday!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Pookims, Oh you should be fine on the Tylenol and I am sure as long as you talk to your doctor prior you will be get the appropriate meds you need for pain :) my sis has to take liquid everything, or capsules that break and pour out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night I went out with some ladies from church for dinner. It was soo great to get out and be around people and have adult conversation! I was there for about 2 hours with my leg down. It was a little achy towards the end but over night, ouch! Icing and elevating today. It was so worth it though!

I would have propped it up but we were a large group (20) and no where to even put an extra chair and the restaurant was super busy. I did end up taking my last oxy last night around midnight I believe in order to get some sleep.

Other than that I am plugging along. On Fri this week coming, hubby and I are going on date night, dinner and probably a movie, which have recliners so I can prop my leg! It will be nice to get out again. I am trying to enjoy what I can without a lot of pain while I can since the next surgery will be soonish.

Have a great Sunday!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great !!! Sounds like you had fun with the ladies :)



Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
 
@Pookims - You don't have to quote a post in order to reply.
Just go down to the bottom of the page and start typing in the box there.
 
Well went to my OS today for a follow up (basically 8 weeks, this Thurs) and they took xrays, he is pleased with everything thus far. He did not even ask about PT really, but I did tell him where I was at and he said good. We then discussed my left knee....not sure what I am going to do right now. He'd like me to rehab for at least another month for righty, but I can go ahead and schedule surgery if I want, but no later than 6 weeks out because then I risk not making our trip.

Such a dilemma, I mean my left knee is not currently hurting thanks to the injection from July 2017, so I could feasibly just hold off for a bit. However, since there is no way to know how long it'll last, I may need another one before our vacation in May/June. Which sucks since I passed out, but it would be worth it to be pain free for our trip. I had the last shot done before our Chicago trip last July, would have done both knees but opted for one. It was fine for our trip, righty was the trouble maker. So my pcp gave me some hydrocodone to deal with it while gone. I only had to take 2 a day, so not horrible.

If I decide to hold off on surgery for lefty, it will be done in late August, because my oldest is going off to college and I want to get her moved and settled in -6 hours away - before I have the next one done. It's so hard to make these decisions..... Any advice?
 
I had the option to move my surgery date forward last summer, 1 - 2 months, but we had planned our trip and I wanted some time after we returned to get things settled around the house. Knowing they say that each knee is a recovery journey unto itself, I'd wait until September. That is easy for me to say because my pre-op knee was not painful but rather periodically unstable. I'm going to have to make that decision for my right knee. I have noticed that it has been grinding more, but not painful either, because of taking up the slack for my new knee's recovery. I go in for my 9 week checkup, my surgeon is really booked up, Monday. It has been over a year( Dec. 2016) since my x-ray of the right knee and I'll ask him to look at it again.
 
You have a few things going on here. I mean, there's no guarantee another injection will work as well as the first one. I speak from first hand experience because my injections (cortisone and Synvisc) worked wonderfully at first (months of relief), less well later, (a few weeks), and finally not at all. So while you can hope for great results from the injection, it's possible that won't be the case. :sorry:

However, there's no guarantee you'll have an easy recovery from TKR of your left knee. Each knee is a whole different recovery, so there's no really knowing how well or quickly your knee will recover or how it will be for your trip. :chinstroke: One thing for certain, though, if the recovery is not as far along as you think it will be, there's not much to be done about it. Pain pills help the way you feel, but it still isn't a good idea to push a healing knee beyond its limit.

I'd probably opt to put off the surgery until September. You might be in more pain if the injection doesn't come through, but you can maybe get painkillers that will help with that, as you did last time. Getting your daughter settled will take a weight off your mind (and body). Then once you do have the surgery, you can invest fully in recovery, which will be better for your knee and your long-term result. Just my thoughts. What matters more, though, are yours! :friends:
 
@Arttie I understand, it's hard because I know I need the surgery and want it done too so I can be eventually be pain free. I want to enjoy life and my kids etc. I thought for sure by now lefty would be hurting more to compensate for righty's recovery but so far so good. I do make a conscious effort to place more weight on the right especially since now its relatively pain free 90% of the time.

@SusieShoes you give me a lot of food for thought, but I don't like it LOL I did not even consider the injection may not work this next time if I get it! :bawl:I can really hope that is not the case, but I know there are no guarantees in medicine, hence why I guess my dr will not say which I should go with in regard to doing it or waiting until after my trip. I do worry my recovery could be hard this next time, which would mess up our trip too.. :boohoo:We don't want that. I know my health is important but since it's not really life for death, I could survive waiting until the fall. At least if I do it in Sept, I will hopefully be quite mobile by the time the holidays roll around so it will be better than this past season.

@jboles oh I know :) I guess I just really wanted some opinions to know if I was on the right track for my thinking. As much as I want to get it done and be over, I don't want to risk screwing up our awesome vacation plan.

I plan to discuss more in depth with my husband. He's pretty much on board with whatever I decide to do. I hate being indecisive, especially on such an important matter!
 
:wow: 8 weeks post op! :wow:
​
I can't believe it has been 8 weeks since surgery now! Time seems to be flying by or maybe I just feel good enough that things are kinda of returning to normal. Either way, I would say my progress is pretty good for 8 weeks out. I was supposed to have pt twice this week but had to cancel both times, this morning I woke up with a migraine. I am sure partly due to the front we have coming in, that might actually bring some ice/snow tomorrow. :praying::praying: Its been so cold we need it. In fact here in Alabama they already canceled school for tomorrow where I am.... guys it might not even do ANYTHING here tomorrow LOL If the kids are home, it better snow! :fingersx::heehee:

So anyway, this no sleep thing is killing me. I hate it. I get so tired by midday but not tired enough to actually nap. By the time bedtime rolls around, I am exhausted but cannot go to sleep.. :bored::zzz::mcoffee::mcoffee::mcoffee: The trazodone does not even seem to be helping. I think I will try melatonin tonight instead. It used to work for me but then quit, so maybe it will now?

Life is trekking along, I think I am going to wait on lefty. We have so much going on the next few months and summer I think it's probably for the best, even though it makes me sad. I just wanted to be done. On the plus side, I'll be 9-10 months out from righty who will hopefully be nearly perfect:fingersx: and I'll be ready to get the next one done.
 
I feel for you on the sleep which I am lucky at and have not really had that issue. I only have PT 1 time per week. Other days I go to the Y and do something. It's good to see other faces. I'll see my OS on Monday making it a 9 week follow-up and ask him to look at the right knee.

I think it is wise waiting until you have the freshman settled in at college.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom