TKR SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in responding, but the sleepy bug takes hold quite often and I find myself sleeping more often than not.

Poetrychef- I am making it. Each day is a new day and I am trying to keep a positive mind about progress.

cami- I am currently using a pillow or two for elevation. It still hurts but better than the lounge dr for now.

Celle- thanks for the article. It is definitely hard as a mom to let others take care of me.

Jaschembra- i am counting on each day being better because if not I will cry! I do usually eat something when taking the meds so I don't get sick.

SherrieT- thanks it does feel great to be home. I can see though why some stay at hospital as long as possible lol

Lionsm13- amen! I laid down the law for my pt yesterday and she was pretty much on the same page. So I hope we have a good working relationship these 2 weeks lol

PoetryChef- thank you dear friend. I am needing to catch up on threads and see how everyone is doing. I hope you are doing well! I am still very much in quite a bit of pain, swelling and being bitter haha! I keep asking myself how do you expect to do this again? [emoji23][emoji23] my brain is like no way!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So today is day 5 since surgery, still not sure I am glad I did it yet. The pain is real, taking meds, elevating and icing as much as I can stand.

I had my first real pt visit yesterday. She was nice and I straight told her that I would not be doing anything that makes me cry, scream or wince in pain and I would not let her force my leg into doing something either. She had me a do a couple of exercises, demonstrated how to do a few others and to do what I could each day. Said she did not believe is pushing because of swelling and pain and it just creates more swelling and pain. I see her again on Wed and Fri this week.

Here is my leg 5 days out
[Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
! I keep asking myself how do you expect to do this again?
[Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)
[Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)
Early on with my first TKR I thought the same thing. At about 12 weeks, things got a lot better and I knew that I could do it again because it was worth it. That horrible bone on bone pain was gone! Hang in there, it will get better!
 
Just hold on. I promise in the next few days you will feel "better". Yesterday, my dressings were removed and I was a bit nauseous but each day is better. ♥️
 
Thanks Karebear! I am sure I will be well enough by then to have the other one done, just so daunting right now.

Yes PoetryChef- today actually was a but better. I am still in the early days of recovery but I feel pretty good considering the circumstances.

So my update for mid week- I am ok, I sleep a lot, rest, elevate and ice as much as I can tolerate. I use a walker to get around the house and to bathroom. I think I should get up a little more often as I am so stiff when I do. I still don't have much of an appetite but can eat everything is just tasteless or tastes off.

The home health nurse came today and they took off the pico bandage. Thank you lord! I was so over that thing lol. The incisions looks good, its about 23 centimeters long, if I remember I will take a pic tomorrow when we change the dressing. Oh and the poop fairy finally made a visit today. Oh joyful joyful [emoji23][emoji23][emoji322][emoji322].

I hope all my friends have a wonderful Thanksgiving!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ha ha! Poop Fairy! [emoji23] Happy Thanksgiving to you too @SpaceGirl


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Glad to see you’re making progress even though it may seem like a little every day! This time next week is when I leave the hospital (after 2 days only!) so I’m following your progress. I know everyone is different but it gives me an idea. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Day 9 for me, pain, stiffness, depression, lack of sleep, all normal normal normal. This is knee 2 for me. Give us a couple more weeks and we wont believe the difference. Hang in there girl... Keith from Vancouver BC Canada


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hood1980 gotta be excited about something lol

@cami515 yes a little bit is better than none. Some days may be so little hard to see but it is there. I am sure your surgery will go fine! I will be praying for you on Tuesday.

@banjaboy unfortunately it is all normal lol the good thing about reading everyones threads it helps me see what may or may not happen. I am looking forward to week 3 and beyond!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So here is my knee just 1 week old. I would say it looks pretty good.



Thanksgiving has been low key, my hubby and daughters prepped and cooked all the food. I only supervised from bed, ie making sure they followed the recipes correctly. [emoji16] It all turned out wonderful. I ate more today than I have I think since I have been home.

I did not sleep well last night, was in pain off and on. So I am very tired this afternoon. I am about to head off to sleepyland and will check back in later.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
They say you pay at night for what you do during the day. My knees like to wake me up and to keep me up between 2 and 5 each morning. I set alarms on my cell phone to keep my meds consistent. Are you able to keep to a good schedule? You will see such an improvement in the next week. Be kind to your knee now as it will return the favor many times over.

Glad they followed the recipes.:loveshwr:
Happy day, friend. <3
 
Last edited:
I keep asking myself how do you expect to do this again?
Just catching up with your recovery. I asked myself this question right up 'til the day before the second surgery, at which point I sighed and told myself I'd just have to get through it--and I did get through it just fine--and I bet you will too, even though that's hard to imagine right now.
 
Hey guys! Well I've been mia because I have been sleeping, a lot lol but am staying on top of my meds like clockwork. I am feeling fairly good, I have my down times, but overall I feel ok. I seem to be getting around better each day with my walker.

I had pt today, she is very easy going, does not push my knee, she has to me do as much as I can and then stop. She said I have made huge improvements since my first day home. I am still swollen in my knee and thigh area which is of course why I can't bend my leg as much but told me to keep icing and elevating as I have been.

I was supposed to have my 2 week check up on Thurs but they had a scheduling issue and had to move it to the 5th, the soonest we could do with their scheduling. I will be glad to get these staples out.

So in between all my sleeping I have been watching the hallmark channel nonstop lol I may be tired of Christmas movies soon [emoji23]

Well guess that is it on my current status, awaiting on my kids to get home and have dinner a bit later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I’m glad it’s going well! And it’s great you have a gentl PT.
 
Awww. I have just begun season 1 of Downton Abbey having burned through anything Christmas related on Netflix. I sent you my phone number in case you want to share stories of woe.

Glad to hear you are improving. Yes, sleep is a medicine. Rest well.
 
Well we're well into the daily changes of this journey. I think my big realization was that I was sane enough to realize that something had to be done with my pain meds. Only now do I seem to be interested in reading and posting. I was ready for a few verses of "Ode to Joy" when my PF paid a first visit.:praying:

We are a small family, no children, so my Christmas prep was doing outside house lights weeks before surgery :gbh:and ordering a necklace for my wife:gifts:.

Rest, ice, elevate, move around 2 story house is my job. I'm on overtime with this.

Hope you start finding those elusive corners we turn on the road to recovery.
 
I was so disappointed with my two Hallmart channels started Christmas only movies after Halloween. They've lost me until after the New Year. 1 or 2 is fine, but not almost 2 months of them!

It sounds like you have a wonderful therapist! You are truly blessed. There are so many that are way too aggressive. Oh yeah, sleeping is really good for you. You heal more when you're sleeping so your body can concentrate on your knee!
 
@Jockette thanks, I am thankful for that.

@PoetryChef I need to start watching some other shows but alas I keep getting sucked into Christmas movies [emoji23] I will check my messages when I get back to my computer. This app is funky at times lol I hope you are doing well??

@Arttie Day to day changes are hard because we can't see them, but I will take any good I can get! Lol I did quite a bit of shopping after Thanksgiving and hope to be done this week!

@sistersinhim haha I have totally been watching since before Halloween! I was surprised they started that early!

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today marks 2 weeks since surgery! Funny how we count down til surgery and then we start counting again right after! These two weeks have been up and down for sure. We got our new furniture so at least now I can sit in the living room easily.

Had a new pt person yesterday so had to lay down the law again. He was ok but I don't think he believes me when I tell him I won't let him push or pull my knee. Little does he know. He was all about talking the "window of opportunity" and I was like yeah mmmhmmm but knowing full well I was not worried about it. [emoji848][emoji19] he did not do anything wed to hurt, no pull push ect. He said when he came back he would have something new for me, um ok.

Today I had my final home health nurse visit. She deemed my incision good and pretty lol so I we are done with them. Tomorrow brings the last pt session or discharge and then I move to outpatient. We shall see what I choose to do then. My insurance will only pay for so many visits and these 5 may count towards it. Need to check on that.

So my observations at 2 weeks out to those reading and waiting for their surgery date. Work on upper body strength. I thought I would be ok because I was using my arms to get up already but nope. I should have done exercise. My shoulders are tight and arms sometimes jello lol so work those arms y'all! Work those quad and glute muscles too!

Pain is still being managed well, except 11pm to 2 am, it seems to be the witching hour. I hurt so much during that time and can't sleep. [emoji24][emoji35][emoji24][emoji35] I finally fall asleep around 2:30 and do not get up (minus wake ups for meds) til about 11 am the next morning. I can't seem to break that cycle. I may try to take more sleep meds, do a pill and a half, I normally take 1 and am off to sleep within an hour.

Next week will be the test, hubby really needs to get back to work. He has been working from home, but I know he can't get a lot done that he could if at work. He will come home at lunch to check in, then at 3 pick up one from school and then back to work til dinner time. I am sure we will be fine and it will work out. Just a bit nervous.

Hope you all are doing well!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Your spirits seem good and your humor and sweet personality are well intact. Good for you! PT can be a pain for sure. Yes, my cell number is there. Give a shout when you can. :)
 
Just checking in on you. Tomorrow I am going home at last. Hope all is well in your world. :tree:
 
You’ll be fine when your husband returns to work. Just be cozy kitten and only stir from your nest when you need to. That little bit of up and about will be just what you need, and you’ll likely nap a lot in between. Sounds like you’re doing really well! I hope your new PT person works well with you. If not, you know what to do. :heehee:
 
We're both retired but my wife has her "busy in retirement" things she does like being gone all day last Saturday. I veged in peace and quiet. I even took a shower by my self. :thumb: My concession to her was texting her when I started and got out.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom