TKR SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)

Good Evening BoneSmarties!

I have missed you all so much! So life is busy as you can imagine, my oldest graduates in 8 days, her last day of school was this past Wednesday. We celebrated my 41st birthday on Tuesday and things are falling into place. We are gearing up for our 2 week Disney trip in 11 days so I've been swamped lately getting ready for graduation and the trip.

Yesterday marks 6 months since my right tkr! Wow! What a difference 6 months has made. I mostly forget that I had surgery on it, which I guess is good right?? :D I still have a few aches and pains here and there, but all manageable. Walking distances has become easier, getting dressed normally, my ROM is great and continues to improve. We made a 2 hour drive one way a week or so ago and back home and I did great. I was a little stiff but nothing that some Tylenol could not take care of.

I have had to postpone my next surgery for a bit due to commitments with homeschool co-op, move to college for my daughter and may have to take on a pt job to pay for all these bills. It makes me sad, but I don't really have another option for lefty right now. The injection I had last summer is still working, so if pain starts again I will get another one and hope for the best until I can the surgery done. I was hoping to have both already done by now but alas it's not in the cards.

I promise to try to do better in checking in more often. I miss reading updates from everyone and giving advice when I can. Hope you're all doing well!
 
[Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)


6 months and fading nicely
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Frances, and glad to hear you’re doing so well! You certainly have a full and active life. Cortisone injections and Synvisc treatments helped me for a few years, so I hope they will get you through until you can get surgery for your left knee.

Your scar really is looking fine! Shorts-worthy and just in time for summer. :SUNsmile:
 
That's a scar you can hardly see!
 
Good Morning Smarties!

Just a quick update from our 2 week vacation to Disney! We got home last night (after a long 14 hour drive, thanks to traffic jams) and are pretty tired as you can imagine. Over the course of 13 days, we walked well over 70 miles, probably closer to 80-100 lol and you know what hurts??? My feet! LOL Ahh good old right knee held up like a champ! I did take plenty of breaks but never did I feel like my knee hurt (well ok once I hit the side on a ride getting out and gave myself a bruise, stupid moving walkways!) or even really ache! I never iced the whole 2 weeks we were there, in fact I haven't iced in at least two months!

My ROM has improved so much with just daily movement, I am way past 95 on bend, I need to measure because I am curious :) I did find that standing still was weird LOL I wanted to walk, the knee just "feels" better when moving. I am so thankful I had the surgery done, the only thing to make it better is if lefty was done already!

Hope you're all doing well!
 
It's great to hear how well you are doing, especially with all that walking! Aren't these new knees wonderful! Many have stated that the knee feels much better when they are walking, not just standing around. Mine sure does!
 
@sistersinhim yes! It really is amazing how far I have come in just the last 2 months! If you recall I posted about how walking for just an hour or so was hurting and here I just walked 7-10 miles a day for 10 days no problem! How crazy!? I am so thankful for this forum and everyone here because you all gave such great advice and info on how to proceed, what to expect and when to say NO to PT! I truly hope that anyone reading this understands that TKR surgery isn't a quick fix, sure some may recover really well really early, some may take for-ever, but others are in the middle which I think most of us are and when you hit that sweet spot, you know it!
 
Hello! Long time no talk Bone Smarties! Today marks my 1 year knee-aversary!

I can't believe it's been a whole year since my TKR! Most days I forget I even had the surgery done :) I would say that's a great thing! This past summer was quite busy for us, we went to Disney for 2 weeks, my knee held up great! I helped at VBS at our church and our youth rummage sale, same week, on my feet all day, no issues. I went on a mission trip with our youth group at church, had no issues. I coached volleyball this fall season and wow, no issues! I mean I am not out there jumping around and what not, but I would have to come home and ice every night after practice doing what I do now and no need for ice! My scar is nearly all gone, I meant to take a pic but forgot, I'll try to do that later this weekend. I can't believe the constant pain I was in is now gone. If you are on the fence, do it. It has changed my life for the better!

On top, lefty, still no date set. We have a lot going on right now, and I don't have the luminary of not working right now so it's been put on hold. I can't wait to have it done though, dread the beginning recovery part of course, but can't wait to be completely pain free. The shot I had done in July 2017 is still working for the most part. I have some aches and pains but nothing compared to what I had before. I will likely have to get another as it might be another 2 years before I can get the other knee done. We shall see.

Just wanted to stop in and update. Sorry I have been MIA, life and motherhood calls, so my time is limited to get on here as much I want too. I hope you're all doing well!
 
What a wonderful success story for your 1st. year celebration! Your life has really come back to normal! I don't blame you for waiting for your next tkr. I'm right there with you! I'm putting it off as long as possible.
 
Good for you, you are on your way to healing. :) I had mine done Oct. 25 and overall I am making fairly good progress. My thigh hurts as well, it may be from the tourniquet or so I am told. I was coming a long nicely and then I over did it a couple of times and boy did I pay for it the next few days. So... watch out for that, of course everyone is different. Just take it slow and easy and do not be in a hurry to make progress. :) Good luck to you!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom