TKR SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)

As my right knee got stronger and less painful, my old left knee got better. This will probably happen to you, too. As your new knee takes on more of the 'work', then the old knee will probably get better!
 
Seems like you have made the big decision on the next surgery. Glad to hear that you are doing so well, feeling good at 90% is fantastic. Really happy for you. :loveshwr:
 
Thanks everyone! Last night I took 10mg of melatonin and not my trazodone and was asleep a little before 12 and slept til 9 this morning! Hallelujah! I hope that continues!
 
this morning I woke up with a migraine.

So anyway, this no sleep thing is killing me. I hate it. I get so tired by midday but not tired enough to actually nap. .
Sorry about the migraine. They're miserable, aren't they.
Can you lie down at least in the afternoon? I sometimes find it helps the fatigue even if I don't sleep.
 
was asleep a little before 12 and slept til 9 this morning!
That was an outstanding night of sleep! Fantastic! I've been taking 5mg of Melatonin and still have break up sleep. I'll try your 10 mg! I hope it continues to work for you.
 
Hello Bonesmarties!

Today marks 9 weeks out from my right knee replacement! :yahoo: I feel like each passing week is a surprise that it's another week down :heehee: but since it seems to be going fairly fast, I am not complaining. :snork:

I am still in pt a couple times a week, I have 5 more appointments left for this go around. I had pt today, lots of stretching, some hamstring massage, recumbent bike rotations and stem with ice pack. My ROM is doing well, extension was -11 and bend was 102. :yes!: I can definitely tell a huge difference since I had my surgery and now as far as ROM goes. I still have a bit of swelling here and there, try to elevate when possible (which is a lot) and ice as often as I can as well. I was given the all clear to walk around my house without my cane. I walked around the pt place with and without it and basically had the same gait, so he said I could start using it less, especially at home since it is a flat surface with no throw rugs etc. I will still use it out and about though.

I need to start making small trips out to the store to see how I can do. I haven't been anywhere except to church and restaurants (twice) and we were seated right away so it's not like I had to really stand around or walk long. I can tell improvements at home though, I can take a longer shower and not feel the need to sit down right after like I did in the beginning. I would get winded after a quick shower, but that has gotten much better. :yes!: I am doing a bit more here and there, starting laundry but hubby finishes up, I can make me and/or the kiddo something for lunch and get around ok and not be to tired. I try to keep in mind the ideas of doing ADL's without over doing it! I feel like I am doing pretty good overall. My sleep has gotten better since I switched over to melatonin again from my trazodone. Maybe I built up some tolerance to it already in the last year. I even slept the other night for 9 hours without it, I forgot to take it! :cheers:

I think that is about it to update right now. I want to start doing some walking outside but its much too cold for that right now! Have a great evening!
 
I need to start making small trips out to the store to see how I can do.
Make it a really small trip your first few times. It will wear you out big time! It sounds like you're improving every week! What a good post!
 
@sistersinhim oh yes for sure! Our stores are large and offer no seating anywhere in the middle so I will stick to a quick trip versus getting groceries for 2 weeks!
 
Short trips are good. My first trip with Mr. Shoes to our gigantic grocery store, I only shopped for a few items in produce and an aisle or two, then went to sit on a bench near check out while he finished the shopping. There was also a cafe area I could have used. That kind of grocery store makes for a nice outing. Malls are good, too, because most have seating scattered around the mall.

Outdoor walks are great. I hope you can start doing some soon. :walking:
 
You sound like you are doing great SpaceGirl! I'm at three weeks and am hoping to do as well. I'd love to be able to drive but will have to be able to bend my knee more than 80 degrees! [emoji57]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Good Afternoon Bonesmarties!

Today marks 10 weeks since I had my surgery, time is still ticking by. :spin: I am anxious to get back to normal, which I know is still really a long way off and a long process to get there but I am improving daily. Last weekend, hubby and I went out on a date, dinner and a movie, though in between we stopped at Target. We had some time to kill before the movie started and I needed to move around a bit after sitting for dinner (leg propped the whole time). I probably did a quarter of the store, just meandering around through the dollar spot, kids clothes, shoes and jewelry. Nothing major and it did not wear me out. I probably could have done more but decided that I did not want to push my luck! :yes: So off to the movie we went, I decided that I would use the restroom before the movie, but ummm their handicap stall with bars, the toilet was I swear as low as the one kids use! :chinstroke::flabber::doh: So I was like Ok, well I will just wait. Yeah that didn't work, so I ended up going back and used a regular stall because their toilets were taller :what::what: and then I managed to get down and up ok. Wasn't pretty :heehee: but I made it. Outside of that I had a nice time. Our movie has the recliners, so I was able to put my leg up the whole time and chill.

I have not taken but 1 actual pain pill in the last month, been taking Tylenol a couple times a day and a muscle relaxer as well. In the mornings I tend to be stiff of course or if I sit too long without moving my knee. My biggest issue seems to be the inside of my knee near the bend hurting. It is driving me crazy, I do ice it several times a day though. I guess if that is the worst I can complain about, then yay! :snork:

Mom brag ahead: My oldest girl got selected as 1st place Artist of the Year 2018 for a Black History art project she did last school year but an organization that does an annual cultural event. Her project won 1st place at our military base black history art contest last year. I am pretty excited for her. My middle girl got selected to be inducted into her schools junior thespian troupe and a part in the school play, so she's a happy camper. The youngest girl has no awards or inductions but she is the reason I have pushed to get an elevator installed at our church. She has spina bifida and even though she can walk, it's hard going up and down stairs. The children's programs are upstairs. :scratch: Anyway this weekend is the dedication and opening of the elevator and she and another little girl (who has special needs) get to be part of the ceremony! :happydance: She is super excited to use the elevator and not have to worry about the stairs any longer!

Guess that is about it for my update this week. I have more pt to go, had to cancel a couple so they rescheduled. I don't mind so much, because I like the massage and stem treatment! :egypdance::ok:

Have a great weekend!
 
Wow! you are coming along so well! And you are using common sense in your recovery and listen to your knee!

Congrats on your girls! Can you post a photo of that 1st place winner's project?
 
Wow, you’re doing great and so are your girls. I’m sure you’re very proud of each of them. Wasn’t it nice to able to go out and just do normal activities. It gives us that are in the very earliest weeks of recovery hope.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)
    jess winning pic.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 393
No wonder she won first place! It's amazing! And so are you, going through a tkr and raising 3 daughters!
 
Woke up to week 11 yesterday and forgot to post LOL so here I am! A day late and a dollar short but tis life!

I really don't have a lot to report as far as big improvements but overall I am doing well. I am getting around easier and easier as time goes. I can stand to do more around the house without too much pain and if its there I take a couple tylenol and see how I feel. If need be I take a muscle relaxer but have mostly only been taking them at bed now. I still have a pt a few more times because I had to reschedule some of them due to various things.

I have driven twice now, just to church which as mentioned a 3 min drive up the road. I plan to go tonight to craft night and keep my leg propped up while there. I used to crochet often but stopped after my youngest was born and my mom had her stroke. I just didn't have time, but our church is doing hats and plastic mats for the homeless so I picked up my hooks on Wed and started back. So tonight I am going to go crochet some hats and relax with some great ladies and have a good time.

I am so ready for Spring so I can get out and walk and slowly start building up endurance so I can make it on my trip this Summer! Hope you're all doing well!
 
So happy that you are doing so well. Isn't it amazing how we can now go back to the things we loved doing but were unable to because of the knee pain being such a big influence on our quality of life? Have you scheduled your second surgery yet?

I am presently working with a friend in setting up a writing website and have taken up calligraphy. :) My knees continue to remind me that they want to be boss and I am getting along with them for the most part. I don't want to wish my life away but I will sure be glad when recovery is a memory. :)
 
The more you realize you can get done, the more you will git-r-done!!! No pain, equals lots of gain. Have fun and keep pushing ahead!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom