Guest viewing is limited

TKR SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)

I'm sure you will rise to the occasion as hubby goes back to work. You may even like the solitude somewhat and find you can do a little more than you thought you could. The sleep problems will likely continue for a bit longer. The idea that you can sleep fairly uninterrupted from 2:30 to 11 is remarkable! :sleeep:At the point where you are now in your recovery, I was moving from bed to recliner to sofa and back to bed much of the night trying to find any position that was comfortable. I still awake some nights and I am 9 months post op. You're doing a great job dealing with PT and its sounds as if you have an incredibly supportive family. Hip! Hip! Hooray!
 
Hi, space girly! How are you holding up? I have been thinking of you. What week are you in now? Have you begun to cross the pain hurdles and feeling better? I don't think I mentioned I am from Birmingham.

Hang in there! Hugs. :reindeerlights:
 
Glad you are making progress! I'm just beginning week 5 and have had good success with some things and not so great with others. Your concern about sleep really resonates with me, too. Currently my sleep pattern is: 9 p.m. in bed, take painkillers, go to sleep. 1 a.m; or so, wake up, make a loo run, have some crackers and water, then take the 1 a.m. meds. 4:30 a.m., do it all again. Wake up around 8:30 or 9. Nap a couple of times during the day. The wee hours wake-up calls are also punctuated by one cat wanting to be petted, which I do. She then sleeps with me and the purring is quite restful. Luckily, she doesn't wake up the hubby. ;)

I would love to sleep a full night one of these nights, but until the last of the soreness goes away, I'm afraid the current schedule will continue.

I have been told "it gets better" and I can't wait!

Take care and happy healing!
 
@PoetryChef I am trying to stay upbeat, but there are times I am down and tears flow. I think it's just all overwhelming at times. Having to be waited on hand and foot, not being able to bend my knee like I want, struggling to get in/out of bed and such. I am glad you made it home! I just read your thread. :)

@SusieShoes well today is day of 3 of hubby being gone, it's not been to bad. It has been a good thing to have my 7 yr old home with me lol she has been a big help. She even lets me nap in the mornings! Luckily the new pt person was not too bad, I only had him that one day because then Friday I was discharged lol

@Arttie I have come to terms that sometimes a day alone or a few hours is nice! The peace and quiet, I can just relax and sleep, check up on facebook and bonesmart. No one fawning over me and asking what I need etc. I am jealous of your shower! lol I still had staples until yesterday!

@phrog It has been an adjustment for him to be back to work but it has gone well. Me and the young one hang out, I nap, she watches Christmas movies, draws and reads. She is a great helper getting me things I need or asking if I need anything. :) I sure do enjoy that sleep from 2-11 but since hes gone back to work I can't do that. Unfortunately I am still suffering from 11-2 but get up at 8ish. I do try to nap in the morning though.

@PoetryChef Pretty good mostly! Sorry I have been MIA, its been a little rough due to lack of sleep this week but am trying to do better. I am almost to week 3, this Thursday marks 3 weeks. Pain is managed well, I am taking oxy now as needed rather than on a set schedule. Still using the muscle relaxer as well. Right now I take oxy at bed and usually around lunch. I don't think you did, we travel down that way semi often. My youngest has to go to UAB Childrens once a year for a check up and when she was born we were there all.the.time. I am in Huntsville, so just 1.5 hour away.

@Space Knee I think that knee recovery is full of ups and downs. Its so easy to have a good day or two and then bam, a set back and down and out for a few days. Tis life I guess. I have got to figure something out about sleep, I take trazodone for insomnia and normally 1 pill works fine, but 1.5 isn't making me get any sleep so not sure what to do. I think it's just getting that comfy spot in bed. The first week and half I only slept on my back, now I have made it over to my side, I can't decide which is better. Both result in the same sleep pattern so I end up back and forth between back and side. One day we will figure it out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I am almost to week 3! I had my follow up appointment yesterday. Lucky me got to do my first trip in the car since surgery in the pouring rain, fun times. I managed to sit in the front seat of the van, it only slightly hurt to bend far enough to get in. I did it though! The dr office took some xrays of my knees, they look good. Said I was walking well and progressing really well. They told me (as did pt) that I should be switching to a cane anytime now and be off of it in the next 4-6 weeks. I go back on Jan 9th for a follow up and I am sure to discuss knee #2.

The best/worst part of yesterdays visit!? Getting my staples out. Oh it was only 38 they had to take out!:wow: Did anyone else have that many??? Some were painful coming out but overall I just gritted my teeth and made it through. I can now officially take a shower! Holy cow, it's been too long since I have done that. I can't wait to do so this evening after hubby gets home. I just feel so disgusting and my hair, ugh I can't wait to wash it myself.

I suffer from dry skin already but man this surgery has really gave my skin a ride of dryness, like desert dry! :hairpulling: I cant wait to exfoliate, of course not my incision area, but the rest of my skin, it's like a peeling mess. My face has finally calmed down, but it was really bad the first week. It seemed so odd!

Overall I am in good spirits, some days are hard, but not usually all day. I am still having some sleep issue, but I can't sleep til 11 since hubby has gone back to work. I do get up around 8 and then have a morning nap, thankfully my young one lets me do this. She has been a big help. We finally got our tree up, it's not fully decorated yet lol but its up, that's an improvement. It usually goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving but that was not in the cards this time.

I hope you are all doing well! Check in again soon!
 
Ahh a nice hot shower!! It felt soo good!

Also my knee pic without staples. Think it looks pretty good, dry skin is driving me crazy!!

[Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oh, my gosh, yes, the dry skin! My left leg is slowly losing the discoloration (although some remains), and there are patches of skin flaking off. I talked to my doc about putting some lotion on the leg and they said that I could as long as I don't get it on the incision area. I still have a handful of scabs that I wish would go away. I know they will, but man are they itchy and bothersome!

The only really tender spot is down on my shin, where they attached the Mako robot. It's still a bit bruised, yes even at 5 weeks. They said that's normal and that a good massage and icing helps it.

Sounds like you are doing well! Be sure and get all the rest you can!
 
Your incision is lovely. Yes, the dry skin is annoying, but until those scabs are gone (and they should be soon), it's best not to use lotions near the incision.

You're doing great!
 
Good looking incision there! My skin got so bad both of my feet peeled! It was gross!
 
My, goodness! I was born at UAB hospital. I knew we were nearly kin. You are getting past the worst of it and now that those horrible staples are out you will feel so much better after a nice shower. Something about going back to our normal lives is so comforting isn't it? I am so happy that you have your little one to nurture and to be nurtured by. She sounds like a sweetheart. I think I must be lucky because I have slept really well. I am still taking my meds around the clock but am extending out the hours between them. I am listening to my knees.

Are you happy about the surgery yet? While the pain is real and near constant I am already happy to be moving forward.

Be kind to yourself and enjoy each of the daily improvements to come. Oh, I sent you a couple of texts. Merry Christmas!

:santaclap:
 
I will have to come back and comment on everyone when I get back to the computer. My phone is not easy to do so from with this app.

So far I am doing well, but 100% bored out of my mind. I see now how people join the Overdid it club because you get to a point and you aren't really hurting and you are tired of sitting around doing nothing. Sigh. I am still joyfully not in the club but I am going stir crazy. I am tired of looking at my walls and watching tv.

I did go to church for an hour this past weekend to watch the Christmas play. I kept my leg up the whole time (thankful for cushioned chair/pews and not wooden ones! It was so nice to get out.

My incision is healing nicely and I go for my pt eval in the morning for out patient pt. I have rarely done any of the exercises they want except for quad/glute to work on extension and walk around the house a bit. The only thing I do daily is walk. I think my rom has improved a bit since my home health pt release two weeks ago.

As far as meds go, I take 1-2 oxy a day and 1-2 muscle relaxers and 1000-2000 Tylenol. The pain only really seems to bother me at night, I am sure just because I am not moving as much.

I hope to graduate to a cane this weekend. I can take several steps without the walker but am not steady enough to go without something.

I have been busy shopping online in all my free time. Great for kids not so much the bills [emoji12]. I can't believe Christmas is coming so quickly. How is it already the middle of Dec?

Well I will check back in later and hopefully on the computer so I can respond properly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great to hear you are doing so well. At this stage it is so easy to do to much but there is always Hallmark. :santawave:
 
Hi Spacegirl

I had my LTKR the same day as you had your op! Talk about a topsy-turvy recovery! You have a little one at home to think about as well, which is tough! You sound as if you are going along well, though!

Take care,

Meg
 
Quick check in! Been busy trying to get ready for Christmas. I am doing well except sleeping at night. I start outpatient pt today, twice a week for 6 weeks.

Here is my lovely knee at 31 days out. Looking good if I say so myself.

[Bonesmart.org] SpaceGirl - Blasting off to new knees (staged)





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great looking incision! Don't do too much. You want to enjoy Christmas!
 
Another quick drive by, started out patient pt this week, first session (eval) was good, measuring, stretching but no pain. They put me on the stem machine and iced it up at the end for 20 mins. My second session was a few stretches and then me walking with a cane. Working on gait and balance mostly. Then stem and ice. I had my third session today, more measuring, more stretching and really working/massaging my hamstring. It is really tight and was way before surgery. Did a little more strenuous stretch but nothing super painful. Got to stem and ice again.

My pt place is really concerned about extension vs bending. They have understood when I say stop to stop, so that I am glad for. I have gained 5 in my extension since my eval there last week.

I am still using the oxy a couple times a day but try to get by with the muscle relaxer and Tylenol. My pain overall seems to be a discomfort and stiffness around a 1-2 when I get up after sitting. When I do some of my own exercises gently I may get a 4 pain, but it is tolerable.

Last Sunday I went to church for an hour, did well. Then that night I went to a holiday party at church, 2 hours and propped up most of the time. Needed to ice when I got home but again not major pain.

Thats about it in a nutshell, working on last present wrapping and getting hubby and kids to clean the house and be ready for our guests.

If I don't make it back before Christmas, Merry Christmas BoneSmarties!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You are coming along really well! It sounds like you have learned how to pace yourself to give you the least pain afterwards!

:merry christmas::nativity:
 
Your scar looks great! Keep up the good work with pt and great advice above about not over doing it. Blessings -Steve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You sound so good @SpaceGirl! Merry Christmas to you too! Think about me as I have my surgery on the 27th!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
My pt place is really concerned about extension vs bending. They have understood when I say stop to stop, so that I am glad for. I have gained 5 in my extension since my eval there last week.
Even though your PT place is concerned about extension, you don't have to worry.
It's normal for extension to take longer to achieve than flexion. You have large muscles and tendons at the back of your leg and they need to be stretched gently and slowly.

There's no schedule or time frame you have to meet for this, because ROM, both flexion and extension, can continue to improve for as long as a year after a knee replacement.
Myth busting: "window of opportunity" in TKR

Last Sunday I went to church for an hour, did well. Then that night I went to a holiday party at church, 2 hours and propped up most of the time. Needed to ice when I got home but again not major pain.
You're doing really well, but do watch that you don't try to go too much.

Read this article again, to see what you should expect to be doing at just over a month post-op:
Activity progression for TKRs
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom