TKR Sounds

I am pretty discouraged about having to revert to the one-legged approach going down stairs, and I just hope that it is only the IT band causing the pain. I am trying to keep the faith. My ride went well today, but I won't stop worrying until my knee feels more normal and I can walk down stairs normally. Maybe a couple of weeks for the stairs. Fingers crossed. I hear the feeling of normal is still a few months out.

No dancing sounds good. You need to rest up for that race with your grandson!
 
It takes two good knees to use the stairs normally, both up and down. My new RTKR is the work horse, I use it for both up and down because the left cannot and hasn't been able to for quite a few years. That's the big thing I'll look forward to when I eventually get the left done.
@Wanttobebiking good job on your ride today. I got my miles in, but can't seem to get past 4.
 
Whoa, Helen. Close call there. At our age, we don't need to be inventing new dance moves for raves or mosh pits! Glad you're taking things easier and icing, icing, icing. Have you moved the dog bed to a safer location? I know how tempting it is to want to get back to doing all the creative and fun things that nurture our souls and our spirits, but remember your knee is just a toddler -- younger than your grandson, even -- and needs its rest, naps and beauty sleep.
 
IYes, Sarah Jane! Poor Murphy, our schnauzer, has been moved out of my studio but still in sight of my art table! No more dancing for me! :wink: :spin: How are you doing?? Haven't heard from you lately. I hope that means all is well.
 
Thanks for asking, Helen. I'm over the cold -- yay!. But still nursing some aches and soreness in carpal tunnel/RSI wrist from last week's old fashioned fanning (and fanning and fanning) -- boo! Knee fairly OK ... was on my feet a lot yesterday, and it's sore but not swollen today. Not that much else to report, health-wise. Still undecided on whether I'm going to give out stuff to trick or treaters, or to hide from the hordes of junior high and high schoolers who come around after 8 pm with large grocery bags and no costumes ... do you get any trick or treaters in your small mountain community with many retirees?
 
@SarahJane Good to hear things are going well for you! About time! I'm still having lots of swelling. It's really frustrating. :gaah:

No trick or treaters at our house. You seriously need an invitation and a map to find us! The churches have Trunk or Treat ( in the church parking lot) and the small businesses have trick or treat around the downtown area. Of course, I use downtown very loosely! :wink:
 
We get about 100 trick or treaters. They come from other neighborhoods. When I was out walking today I really enjoyed the Halloween decorations in people's yards. It was a nice diversion from work and revovery.

Keep working on that swelling! I want to hear a good report tomorrow. Okay, okay, maybe Wednesday then!
 
@Wanttobebiking Good report today! Swelling is FINALLY down! I've worked all morning in my art studio and been up and down and it has just now ( mid afternoon) started swelling again. So, you know where I am.... Watching the leaves fall and fall and fall.....and icing /elevating!

I remember those days of hundreds of trick or treaters when we lived in a suburb of Atlanta at the end of a cul de sac. Honestly can't say I miss it at all! :shocked:
 
Sounds like you are doing very well! We are thinking of hiding in the basement for Halloween this year. We normally take turn about answering the door but I can't do the up and down any more so, lights out, no pumpkin, donate candy to others and watch TV.
 
I'm ready for the pain to stop. The swelling isn't much of a problem until the end of a work day but I have quite a bit of pain when I put any weight on my knee. I really thought I'd be pain free by now. I can't do stairs any better than I could before surgery but that has more to do with my sciatica than anything else. I am trying to return to normal but it sure isn't easy.
 
Last year we went out for Halloween and left lights on and a bowl of candy on the porch---when we came home there were still five pieces of candy!!!
 
Well, after sitting on the fence for a while, I finally broke down and bought some candy ... mostly stuff I don't like. Nothing remotely chocolatey. However, @cairistiona60, if you have any really good chocolate to donate, I'm sure my tummy would make an exception ...

Very sorry my July surgery sisters Helen and Christine are still bothered by painful knees and challenging stairs. Although we're told it's a long recovery, about the 3 month mark we're ready to be all better now. Really ready. I'm glad both of you have such wonderful creative, expressive hobbies so you can really loose yourselves in that pleasant zone of creativity, a zone where the pleasure of being creative puts you in a special place where consciousness of pain is not at the forefront.

@Thesoutherncook, you should consider starting up a tourism consultant business. It turns out that a friend of mine is going to North Carolina to celebrate her sixtieth birthday next month -- a week in Raleigh and Ashville. Of course, I'm jealous.

I've been going around and leading a very uneventful life this past week. My knee's a litte stiff at times and is just a bit swollen. Just a teensy bit. I haven't iced it since the weekend because I was busy using my ice packs as cold packs for the drinks for the sugar skull decorating party. (:::patting self very self-righteously on the back for being so drought-and-water-conservation conscious -- no big bags of ice wasting water in my ice chest:::)

I do have one question for @Josephine or another adviser, moderator, or smart, savvy person: Should I continue to take glucosimine/condritun (sp?)? The rest of my joints just have regular wear and tear, and I don't anticipate needing a replacement in my other knee or other joints -- certainly not in the next 10-15 or 20 years. :::crossing fingers and toes::: Thanks in advance.
 
I'll leave that one for Josephine to answer fully. However, I took Glucosamine and Chondroitin religiously for several years, while I was trying to stave off my first knee replacement. They never did me a scrap of good.
 
Thanks, Celle.

Helen, I hope you don't feel I was hijacking your thread with that question. I could edit it out and repost it in my thread if you want.
 
Sorry that Patricia made your fall color short-lived. It hit Pensacola pretty hard, tearing my brother's sailboat from its moorings and breaking the mast.

Was thinking about you in the middle of the night while I was waiting for a pain med to kick in and watching the Great British Baking Show on Netflix. Makes me want to bake!

@SarahJane , glucosamine chondriton really helped me for years. I stopped taking it after knee number 2. I read somewhere that you don't know if it helps until you stop taking it. So see if those other joints protest if you stop.
 
There's been any number of learned studies done over the years about these drugs and they've all come to the same conclusion: neither of these drugs have been shown to actually do anything but the research has shown that about 25-30% of participants have claimed some benefit but it was generally supposed to be a placebo effect. So try it by all means if you want to but it's actually pretty much a waste of money!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom