Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sounds

Today was my first day back in the gym! My gym partner and I went on a quiet Sat am purposely.
I worked very carefully, no weights and beginning level reps. I rode the recumbent elliptical for 15 min with no resistance and at a slow speed. My TKR feels good. My other knee is just ok.
 
I had my 3 mon visit with OS today. He was pleased with my progress, didn't measure anything, asked if I had any problems, poked on my knee for 30 seconds. I asked about my left knee and he pulled up xrays from April. He says it is not bad enough for surgery! Seems instead of bone on bone in the joint, my knee cap is rubbing... Does that make any sense? @Celle @Josephine ??? Anyway, he sent me away to return in Jan to reevaluate. I'm hopeful when the RTKR heals and the muscles strengthen, it will help take some of the strain off of the left??? Call me the forever optimist!!!
 
My kneecap was my problem in both knees, I was only bone-on-bone in my right knee. But my kneecaps were horrible. They had slid way over towards the outside of my knees and had big bone spurs. And they were rubbing me the wrong way.
 
Seems instead of bone on bone in the joint, my knee cap is rubbing... Does that make any sense?
Of course it does! The knee is comprised of three compartments like so

[Bonesmart.org] Sounds


And you can get arthritis in any of them.
 
I had a lot of pain from my kneecap before my TKR. I did have OA in the patellofemoral compartment and fitting a patellar button during the TKR fixed that.
I asked about my left knee and he pulled up xrays from April. He says it is not bad enough for surgery! Seems instead of bone on bone in the joint, my knee cap is rubbing.
It would be a good idea to ask for another X-Ray of your left knee before you go for your January appointment, to see if it has worsened since the April X-Ray.
 
That's good! If your left knee has deteriorated while it's been the main support after your right TKR, that should show on the X-Rays.
 
Can't tell how you are feeling about it, but sounds like good news to me. I wonder if there is something less major that he can for the kneecap rubbing. I also wonder if as your operated knee becomes stronger, some of the stress on the non-operated knee will lessen.
 
@Wanttobebiking I'm very happy if I do not have to go through this again! :yes!:
However, I'm remaining skeptical since the left knee has had multiple Supartz inj plus cortisone. I had gotten my attitude adjusted to be ready for the inevitable second TKR in Jan. And part of me thinks, yes, lets get the next one done and be over with ALL of this! However, the OS says he wants to make friends with his patients, not water them off. His words, not mine. He does not want to put me through it unnecessarily! I agree!!! I'll take HAPPY today!!! :happydance:And we will all hope and pray that the left is better after the TKR heals completely!
 
Whew! Didn't realize the Over Did It Club was so easy to join at this point! Apparently, all my socializing, working on art and notecards as well as running errands this week did me in! :shrug: And today I tripped over the dog bed in my studio and stumbled across the room! I didn't fall, but I did a fancy dance to stay upright! :thud: I am soooooo sore! Resting, icing, elevating and taking tylenol this afternoon! Ugh! :flabber:
 
Those stumbles are terrible! I still find myself doing them over rugs in my classroom. My heart beat goes crazy! You are right to take it easy today.
 
My heart was racing when I finally landed in the chair! :) Today BOTH knees /legs are VERY swollen and sore. Just got back from church and grocery store and am icing BOTH and elevating! Ugh! This swelling is getting old. Please tell me it will eventually stop! :oyvey:
 
I sympathize! I have spent all day yesterday and today doing nothing but lying around, icing, elevating, doing Sudoku. So bored! So my knee better appreciate it and feel better. Not looking forward to seeing my OS in the morning. I will be so stiff from having done nothing, he will not be impressed. Hope your swelling goes away pronto!
 
Yes, Jo! It is hard just resting..... Totally NOT my usual. I go , go, go until I fall asleep in my recliner. Just like a toddler! :heehee: I'm getting a lot of reading done!

You may be surprised tomorrow... With all the resting, icing and elevating your swelling may be gone down significantly and he may be thrilled ! :happydance:
 
@Josephine @Celle I completely forgot to mention that I had interoperative platelet rich plasma during my surgery. Perhaps this is why I've had very little pain? Here's part of an article about it......
"A wide range of benefits have been reported with autologous plasma preparations administered into the surgical wounds with few reported problems . Autologous platelet gel is a platelet rich plasma substance that is derived from a patient’s blood. When used in total knee arthroplasty, 55 cc of blood is taken from the patient immediately prior to surgery, centrifuged to separate the blood components and allow extraction of the platelet rich and platelet poor plasma. This combination contains a mixture of plasma, fibrin, and platelets as well as growth factors, clotting factors, and vascular endothelial and fibroblast stimulants . The mixture is stored in a syringe and mixed with bovine thrombin during its application to the surgical wound. The clinical effects of autologous platelet gel when used in total knee arthroplasty have been evaluated by several different authors who found varying degrees of benefit from its use. Some reported benefits include improved knee range of motion, decreased manipulation rates, decreased blood loss, and decreased hospital length of stay."
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom