TKR Sounds

Happy Birthday to BUDDY!! Congratulations and love reading the positive results you have had!! My opinion too is that my fairly rapid progression with ROM was due to an excellent surgeon. Now that is just my "opinion" nothing written in black and white.
So happy for you and hope I can post the same report exactly 3 months from today.
Most of all thank you for your kindness, humor and support!
Enjoy the beauty of the freshly fallen snow, there is nothing like it.
:flwrysmile::loveshwr:
 
Thanks to all of you for your kind words and your support. I certainly did not mean to sound boastful about my recovery, but absolutely wanted to encourage those who are in the early days and weeks. I am well aware that my trials have been minor (although, at the time they seemed monumental!) I pray that each of you will eventually have peaceful and pain free days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here I am at the end of January and 4 weeks since the cortisone inj in the OLD knee. It is wearing off and the pain is returning causing me to really rely on the TKR. Ugh! So, I contacted my general orthopedics dr ( the dear one who sent me flowers and called me in the hospital from Italy!) and she suggested turmeric orally and arnica gel on the OLD knee. My question to my Bonesmarties, has anyone tried either???? We may also alternate Supartz inj with cortisone since the OS says it is not bad enough for TKR. I'm just sick. I was so hopeful that this would help for 3-4 months. I feel like I'm right back where I was this time last year with my left/old knee still hurting! The TKR never hurt nearly as bad as this one. :gaah:

Buddy, TKR, is doing well, although swollen tonight since I've been very busy this week!!
 
Oh Helen, I am so sorry. I had 5 Supartz injections. They bought me some time. I have read that Tumeric is a great pain reliever. I haven't tried it, although I might just give it a try also!! What about Voltaren gel? I will keep you in my prayers for relief from your pain. Ralph sends Buddy his best wishes.
 
Helen my old knee is doing double duty since the TKR and it's still going on for me. It's been complaining more frequently too. It's just a little jealous of the new knee getting all the attention. It's sibling rivalry. :heehee: I haven't tried either of the things your OS is suggesting. The cortisone shot I had Dec 31 is also worn off. I did buy time alternating between the two types of injections you're talking about. It worked for me for 9 years. Don't start thinking you are heading down the same path as the other one. A little ice and elevation for that one may help too. I used to use a pull on neoprene sleeve on that knee. It helped to keep the heat in and kept my knee happy all day. It's kind of the all day Saran Wrap.
 
Helen, Marian reminded me how much I like using the Saran Wrap at night. Have you tried that for nights? When I use it, it really helps with the swelling and pain.
 
@Timetolive, Janis. Hey to Ralph! Buddy is icing now and feeling better. We went to Ingles this am then cooked for a long time this afternoon plus a lot of other running around the house getting ready for our medical student houseguest who arrives Sunday for the month of Feb!!

My old knee had 9 sets (of 5 ea) Supartz inj over 5 yrs. Dr and I both thought it was time for TKR but OS insisted on the right knee first. It looked worse on x-ray but felt better. I have used Voltaren gel with no success.
 
Thanks, girls! I had forgotten that I have a neoprene knee sleeve. @newlybionic, I'll try that tomorrow!

Thankfully, nights are ok. I'm still sleeping with my baby pillow under whichever knee I'm not laying on!
Of course, with our senior dog and his canine dementia and getting up with him at 4 am for the past 2 wks, I'm not sleeping much anyway! Some mornings I catnap in my recliner from 4 - 7 am. I feel like a zombie! We are trying meds for him. The vet hopes by the weekend he will at least be sleeping again. :swoon:
 
Hi there. Cortisone only works for about three weeks for me. My OS called it "a failure" which I think means insurance stopped paying for it, which moved me a step closer to surgery. I did get the gel shot a couple of months ago in my non-TKR knee and that is working better than it has in the past. I think the TKR knee is starting to take some of the stress off the other knee, at least that is what I am choosing to believe.

Sorry you are feeling down about it. I hate getting older. Arghhhh!

It is also stressful having a generic pet. I was a vet tech before I became a journalist. Tough stage but senior pets are so loving, at least my geriatric cats were. They wouldn't leave my side.
 
I know you said they turned you down for knee #2, so what will you do? I am so sorry. It is a sad time of life when our pets get older. Tough times and decisions always come along. You are in my prayers.
 
Helen, sorry to hear about your troubles with your other knee. At the time of my LTKR my right knee had moderate OA & cartilage loss but my OS thought it could last another 5 years. But No- it deteriorated to bone-on-bone within the year! Anyway, keep an eye on that sore knee and have it xray'd periodically. You might join the "Both Knees" club sooner than you think!
 
Oh dear, sorry to hear the cortisone has already worn off . I had OS inject L knee when getting the RTKR, it lasted about 6 weeks. I hope you find some answers and can hold off from surgery as long as possible. Topical prescription "pain cream" didn't do a bit of good on mine either.
Sounds like you had a very active day so maybe with ice and rest it will improve.
I have a friend who did the injections and it helped for 3 years and still no surgery.
My right knee is getting better and better but left is really hurting. OS gave me 10% chance of the Supratz (? spelling) working so don't want to spend the time and money with such a poor prediction of success for me. Wishing you better luck.
 
My dr told me that if his cortisone cocktail didn't work the Supartz or Visco shots probably wouldn't either. That's when I signed up for TKR. The right knee cocktail worked for about 3 hours :hairpulling:. Visco injections a few months ago make my left knee bearable, but if I do too much walking it still complains a lot.
 
I wore the neoprene knee brace today and it helped some.
@Timetolive, Janis, the OS who gave me the cortisone inj said if this does not work "I have to decide how much pain I can live with." What does THAT mean?? I've decided to go back to my "general orthopedics dr" to pursue another course of relief! Anything! Whatever will help!

I've had 45 Supartz ( rooster comb) inj in the left/ old knee over 5 yrs which did help. My orthopedic dr was trying to keep me out of the OR. The last series did not provide any relief. The right/other knee was hurting and catching and the OS said it needed replacing first. So, we did. Now I'm back to the same place I was this time last year... My left/old knee hurts with every step, the OS says it does not need TKR, the ortho says try turmeric and maybe more Supartz alternated with cortisone. I'm FRUSTRATED!!

Ok. Rant over. Thank you all for listening and your kind concern!
 
It was the same for me. Left knee started hurting first, about five years ago. But the right knee just gave out first and that pain was far worse than the left. I couldn't live with it, that's when I gave in to the surgery. Now I just think the left one will give out like the right did after a lots of walking.
I've neve counting how many shots I've had in the left. Probably 10 rounds of rooster comb.
 
i would still try the injections. That old knee has been doing double duty for a number of months and may just need some rest. Don't think you are going down the same path and time line from last year. Youve been saying how you've been doing much more lately. That knee never got its 'vacation'.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom