Guest viewing is limited

THR Sore bottom

Hi i haven't posted for a few days i hope your all recovering nicely.
I have been moving around a bit more week 3+4 days and boy do I feel sore I started doing 20 min on a treadmill lowest speed and on the flat setting. This is following my bed excersises twice a day and the stand up excersises as well twice a day. I deceided to try an out doors walk today it's a bit of a hill outside my gate and I walked for about 10 minutes. also stayed around the yard for a half hour. Is it normal to be so sore and stiff in my back and my legs. I haven't taken any pain meds for 3/4 days I notice that every time I do the excersises I feel this way. Will this pass ? I have just taken 2 parcetomel for the pain and soreness. I'm not in pain at night. I just can't fall asleep? been like this for 3 weeks now.
 
Hi @mooneguy, I found that the exercises I was given caused me pain - specifically the straight leg lifts, so I stopped doing them. I’m actually still recovering from the groin pain these caused!! I’ve just focused on walking and I’m now also using an exercise bike. Apart from the groin, in certain movements, I now have no real pain in my hip. Are you elevating and icing? :ice:I do that as often as possible during the day and honestly thing this makes a huge difference. May I suggest you stop doing the physio exercises and see how your hip feels after a few days. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Stopping physio exercises doesn’t mean that you won’t get your strength and flexibility. I feel better every day - I can now get my socks on :yes!:
 
Hi @mooneguy, I would also do less time on treadmill at one time. I know before hip surgery I could no longer tolerate treadmill. Maybe just do 5 minutes at a time for several days and see if that works better. It can take a few weeks for the muscles to loosen up. Sleep is also tricky for us sometimes. I just read or watched stupid tv and didn’t worry about what time I slept.

Try some of @Jackie222 suggestions.
 
Depending on whether your pain is related to hip flexor, you might also consider walking backwards on the treadmill. It helps to stretch it out and is much easier for me than walking forwards (and makes it easier to walk forwards afterwards).
 
Very early days @mooneguy.
Keep the exercise to a very low level and let the healing happen naturally.
Walking is really the only exercise required.
Have a read at this though you got it already and you'll see that you are exactly where you need to be.
Joe.......

For THRs.
Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) are assessed in hospital as a means of assessing your fitness to be discharged home. Your domestic circumstances will be taken into account as in if you are living alone, etc.

ADLs include:
~ Personal hygiene and grooming
~ Dressing and undressing
~ Functional transfers, e.g. Getting out of bed
~ Voluntarily controlling bladder and bowel elimination
~ Ambulation (Walking or using a wheelchair)
~ Housework
~ Meal Preparation
~ Care of pets
~ Meal preparation and cleanup

Walking and other activity
Walking is about the best exercise you can do but again, you need to moderate your time and distance.
Always use your walker, crutches or canes as appropriate, only moving from one to the other as you gain confidence. Actually, hips really don't need all that much exercising and have a perfectly good way of sorting things out for themselves if given half a chance.

Week 1
A little walking around the house. Trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Being up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it.
A 5 minute walk every couple of hours is plenty.

Activity: for the first week nothing but rest, occasional trips to the kitchen to get a snack or a drink and to the bathroom for potty and showers!

Week 2
Start on a plan of walks around the house lasting longer than 5-10 minutes but don't a) get into too much pain and b) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.

Activity: do some tidying up, a little bit of meal prep and maybe some washing up so long as someone else dries and puts it away!


Week 3
Lengthen the walks to about 15-20 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your hip to be painful.

Activity: prepare yourself a meal or help prepare a family meal but not all of it. A little bit of laundry but not all of it.


Weeks 4 and 5
Increase walks around, to 30mins, longer if you feel up to it.

Activity: now you can do some dusting and push a vacuum round the middle of the living room; do a little meal prep (for yourself not the family!), maybe fill and empty the washing machine

Weeks 6 and 7
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!

Weeks 8 and onward
Bed making and changing sheets, cleaning bedrooms etc., can wait until about now by which time, all things being well, you should pretty much start getting back to normal.

But if it takes a bit longer, don''t worry about it.

And a reminder
Hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Returning to work
It's becoming the norm for hip patients to be pressured back to work after 6 weeks or so. This can be done but it is even more important one needs to try and negotiate a "Phased return to work" because going straight back to full time work can be very hard on the new hip and cause tendinitis in various places.
 
HI ALL
just a question has any one experienced
that their skin is sensitive not just at the operation site but overall almost like when you get slightly sunburned. Goosbumps slight shivers. I have no problem with operation site. No redness No heat No swelling. When I went for my operation I had a spinal that failed. and that led to a general anaesthetic. I was wondering if they could affect your skin sensitivity . It does not bother me too much but it is there some days its more noticeable than others any information appreciated.
fran.
 
@mooneguy - yes, swelling is totally normal so don't worry but do ice and elevate to control the swelling. I understand it's common for swelling to last for months in some people. I am in week 6 and only have swelling in my hip/butt area now. I also have pain in my butt - maybe piriformis syndrome, not sure but it is really impacting my ability to walk without support/limp. Not sure what to do about it, maybe @Josephine can help us. She's an angel.
 
Hi suzant
Thanks for the reply i have no swelling problems or pain its the skin sensitivity issue. Thanks hope you get sorted soon.
Fran.
 
My mother has fibromyalgia and had a lot of problems with skin sensitivity after her knee replacement. When she said something to surgeon, he'd said the anesthesia and surgery could cause it to flare up. He gave her gabapenton or something similar and it helped.
 
I certainly had hypersensitivity for months after surgery. Has mostly subsided...but if there was a wrinkle in the sheet, or clothes raking my skin....was super annoying.
I mostly tried to ignore...but with time, less and less.
Don't know why:shrug:
 
Yes since posting mine is fading each day i wonder if it's the trama of the incision to the skin or the anastectic.
 
I'm fairly certain it is the trauma...
Hope you are doing better everyday?
How's that hip feeling?
5 weeks is still very early but hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!
Let us know when you can.
 
Last edited:
It's come a long way. Tomorrow is my 6 week visit day with the surgeon. My left operation hip is still stiff after workouts but from what I'm told it's normal. I've been walking a lot most days. The swelling has gone away. Hopeing for a good outcome tomorrow. I have to visit two different hospitals tomorrow. I have hemocromeatosis so the first hospital is for bloods and the second hospital is for the surgeon visit. The good thing about the bloods check is they do all the tests on my bloods including liver functions and cholesterol I get the results in 12 hours. Im hoping the surgeon will let me return to driving and slowly back to work I work for myself so I can pace my return with short days at first. I should know a date for my right hip replacement tomorrow im looking at june.

fran.
 
Last edited:
I'm glad your results on blood work get back so quick.
That stiffness can linger for a while..but you sound like you are doing just what you should be doing.
Ooh, double hippy by end of summer? And bye bye hip pain!
Rest up after all of your running around and even if you don't see alot of visible swelling,don't forget to ice, ice, ice. I didn't have as much swelling as some purport.
Stiffness can denote swelling though.
 
Hi all just back from the hospitals.
Met with the surgeon he checked my operation site and he was happy with the healing. I did a few movements for him and he said I had some stiffness at top of leg but to keep excerising and it will pass with time. I am allowed to return to work tomorrow and to drive but to be carefull with the rules for a few weeks I am also allowed to sleep on sides. No more socks, off bloodthiners, Monday next.
So after all that good news he booked me in for 2nd hip operation next june I am happy but having to do this all again is hard but I have a passion for walking and getting lost in mountain areas (sm ones in Ireland). And I know in my heart that the only way back is to have this job finished and get the second one done so bring it on and let the world play it out.
I was told they will go for a spinal again that the last time it failed it was bad luck.

Regards
Fran.




Bloods done results tomorrow.
 
Good report @mooneguy. While looking at a second surgery is hard, I am like you and know it is only way to get back to all the things we like to do. Maybe the spinal will be totally different not time around. I had general last time and it was horrible. I am going for spinal this time.

Take care,

Ginny
 
Yay! All sounds super!
I know this is alot of recovery, but the end result is going to get you right back in the mountains...which sounds lovely, by the by.
Keep on icing...we are rooting for you.
 
Hi
My sacral area got very sore and I got an ehob pressure relieving mattress which is basically like a heavy duty lilo which does the trick. My backside is ok but I am still using it 20 weeks post op. I also put cream on the reddened area. I really didn't want any more pressure damage. I'm not pushing ehob and have nothing to do with them, it was just what the district nurses gave me. I will say it helped immensely. Will keep it for the time being as I am pretty certain I am going to have to have more surgery on hip muscles which will probably result in me having to sleep on my back again all the time,for a while. The other thing I found was I got sore heels and the district nurses gave me a heel gel pad which did the trick. I put it under the sheet and on top of the ehob because I am a bit sensitive to some plastics and it was making my skin itch.
Good luck with your new hip.
 
Hello there...I am at the 6 week mark of THR. I had the anterior surgery. I still have some pain in my hip, especially if I overdo it but it’s not terrible (pain level 2-4). Where I’m still having the most pain (level 6-8) is in my buttocks. Right under the surgical “cheek”. I have had pain there since day one. My doctor says is muscular which makes sense but I did not think it would be still at this level 6 weeks out. I’m still on the hydrocodone (5/325) four times a day. I also ice twice a day. Has anyone else had this issue?? More importantly, did anyone find a way to relieve the pain?? Thank you
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom