TKR Sooz Bionic Knee Journey

newnee 5 weeks tomorrow! :wowspring:
rom today was 114, having fun at pt... really love the balance activities, kind of like a super charged WII Fit board. I still loose my balance when I go back on my heels a bit, all the other ways I have really good control. I am so glad I chose the PT place I did, they work with your balance and stability! Most of the time around home I am now walking without my cane, unless I am feeling exhausted, then I hang tight to it. When I shop, I put my cane in the cart and push it. More and more my other knee is acting up, already hyper extending like my lefty was doing at the end. I am looking towards September for getting that knee done, a wee bit fearful that my first knee went so well that this other one might be a darn!:flabber: OOoooOOOOOO forgot to tell my bike news! I pedaled back and forth for a few minutes, then pedaled backwards for another few minutes.... then I thought I am just going to try to pedal forward for one rotation!!! I DID IT! :bicycle1: It did not hurt! I was totally amazed that in 1 week I can already pedal forwards!!! I give my knee a break on the days I don't have PT. I am feeling great although I still get totally pooped out!
 
amazing for 5 weeks out. ahhhhh the energy drain ~ good that you take a break on days you don't have pt.
 
Rocking really felt good to me before I could rotate. Now, you are rotating backward and forward! At just 5 weeks, you are amazing! It's very smart of you to take off your off of PT days!
 
Good going! When the knee is ready, it's really ready. You're having a great recovery and there's no reason not to think you will do so again with your right knee. Sure, no guarantees, but might as well be positive, right?
 
@nensi my kitties! 1&2 are Chip & Dale and #3 is Princess, they all try to get the closest to my face!

[Bonesmart.org] Sooz Bionic Knee Journey
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Left knee is feeling so much better than right knee. Tried to get some good walking in today and after 15 minutes my right knee was killing me. I am no longer taking ibuprofen or tylenol for my left knee, but have changed to medicating for my right knee. It all feels a bit frustrating!!!! So here I sit, ice on both my knees and on my lower back... I really want my stamina to be back to normal before the right knee gets replaced... :bawl:
 
It's amazing how after so long with arthritic knees we don't realize how bad and painful they are... until we get TKR. I'm sorry your right knee is acting up. It's been carrying some of the load for your new left knee until it healed. The poor thing just doesn't have as much in it as it did, and will benefit from your TLC. As a wise woman once said to me: Patience, grasshopper.
 
It took quite a while for my stamina to return. I went back to teaching morning now only at 12 weeks and spent many afternoons napping/elevating. Then at 18 weeks I went back to full days. At 7 months I took my class on a field trip which required going up/down bus steps 6 or 7 times and I felt good enough to still ride my bike that night. That's when I knew my stamina was back, but I did have two surgeries within a months time as well as an infection which I'm sure added to my lack of stamina.
 
!!!Question!!! OK my lower back has been really bothering me over the past couple weeks. Before I had my LTKR to get rid of the pain I would get on my mat on the floor and lay my lower back down onto a roller and roll up and down my back. Since my TKR I have not tried getting down on the floor. Is there a proper way to get down on the floor and then back up again??? I have been too chicken to try, but my lower back is really getting the best of me.
 
I turn over and get on all fours and walk up with my hands, with my butt in the air. Not pretty, but works.
 
I have a video clip of me doing that in my preop thread have not tried it postop yet


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I do the same technique -- it kind of depends on how strong your nonop leg is as you will need to use it to get up
 
Love the kitty pics Sooz!

Back tip: You don't have to get on the floor. I lean up against the wall and use my roller or a hard, rubber dog ball for back pain. Works like a charm!
 
Here's a YouTube of a bilateral getting off the floor. I keep thinking I should try this but I haven't had the courage in 3 years!

 
Am flabbergasted watching that short clip.
No way I could turn my non-svelt body like that and lift up from the floor. Uh-nh!
And how he manages steps! Would love to know how many months post op that was.
 
Back
Top Bottom