TKR Sooz Bionic Knee Journey

Great report Sue! So glad you got the staples out --- you get a gold star from us as well! Sounds like, aside from the ouchy staple removal, you are doing quite well for just 11 days post surgery. Keep up the relatively good sleeping.
 
What a great report! You can give Righty Rachel a pass, I hope. Poor knee, she's been traumatized, yet she's doing so very well.

Sleep is so elusive at your stage of recovery. You're doing better than most! I had the same thing, with my left knee favoring the wedge at night. Lefty wanted nothing else. But then right before dawn, that knee would start yammering to bend. So I'd put just a pillow under my knees and go back to sleep. I'm sleeping normally now, though! It's just such a drag to go through the sleeping rituals of early recovery. :alarm:
 
Oh my, what a day my 3 weeks has been! My mother fell this morning, fractured her orbital bone under the eye and her nose... Just on my way home now from hospital, she ended having surgery a plate and 2screws. I am going off the narcotic and using Advil and Tylenol, since I will have to drive her! Most steps in a day today since surgery, close to 2,000.... really aching!
 
I am so sorry to hear about your mom! And so early in your recovery.

Sending prayers for both of you.
 
Yikes! So sorry to hear about your mom's fall. I hope she will recovery well. Take care and rest as you can. ((Hugs)).
 
That's really tough about your mom. You have to do what you have to do. But this is hard with your recovery, too. Sending prayers for both of you!
 
Oh no! So sorry to hear your mother had such a bad fall. I hope she comes out of this without further problem. Of course you do what you need to do for her, but be careful. Going off narcotics suddenly can be nasty.

Does Mom have other family to visit and check on her? Is there any way you can stay home some days and stay off your feet? If not, here's a thought: do you have one of those portable small coolers on wheels? Bring your ice packs with you. Also, if you tell the nurses about your situation, they might be able to help you find a way to elevate your legs while sitting with your mom.
 
Mom is actually coming home today, my sister was up visiting from another state and was leaving yesterday, but will leave tomorrow morning. I didn't go with to pick up mom icing and elevating, had a lil extra swelling today. As far as the narcotics, I was down to just a bedtime pill every night, so I don't think I will be too affected by stopping that. This will be difficult, knowing how my mother likes to be in charge of everything, and that's exactly why she fell, she wouldn't ask anyone to help her. Stubborn 85 year old woman!
 
Oh, Sooz, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's fall; egads! I'm going to look for some extra Gold Stars to send your way, 'cuz you deserve more than one!
 
Oh no. I hope you and your mom will be OK. Be sure and take care of yourself during your mom's recovery. You have to think of you first.
 
My DH took me to an empty parkng lot ( like a teenage driver! ) and had me slam on the brake. When I proved that I could not only save myself, but not endanger anyone else, he let me drive. I think it was about 5 weeks for RTKR. Safety first - always!
 
Righty Rachel was not a happy knee at all after all the traveling she did on Monday. Have done alot of elevating and icing. She's been a bit tender but that is going away some. PT started Wednesday but I explained my Monday and didn't really do much with me, a bit of tens unit some gentile movement and a nice icing. Haven't been sleeping well, trying to get myself in the habit of waking a bit earlier. It's always a process. Today I've felt like I have jet lag! I tried to look back at my week 3 on Lefty but it seems I didn't have much going on then. My steri strips have all fallen off and my wound looks really good, it still has a bit of healing to do, but I believe righty will be totally healed long before lefty was. I've driven a few times, I can do it but it is not without achiness. Will hold off on a regular habit of driving. Luckily my daughter has off Friday and Monday and can take me to PT both of those days. My sister had to return home, but will be heading back north this weekend. I have been doing what I can to help my mother, luckily I have a couple of Aunts who have jumped in to help to run mom to her appointments. I can't wait to go home, but also will feel bad leaving mom.... Sorry just rambling...
 
You've been busy and your Monday was just awful, in more ways than just for your knees, so of course you're feeling wiped out. I'm glad you took it slow in PT and have set up a support team for your mom. Taking it easy will pay off more quickly than trying to do it all yourself. That's true in ordinary life, and even more so when trying to heal two knees. Slow things down as much as you can in this hectic time. :flwrysmile:
 
Was 6 weeks out this week, os check up went well, have to continue pt due to ham string has been giving me fits. Other than this I am feeling good, back to swimming and water therapy, back to work... back at home. My mother has healed well from her nose dive she took... hopefully all will remain normal. Oh and if anyone else has had ham string issues (pain) after a tkr, what helped you???
 
Hi Sue,
I also had trouble with my hamstring. I followed what someone else on this forum suggested. I laid on my bed on my stomach with my legs hanging over the edge about mid thigh and just let gravity pull down. In the beginning I only lasted about 10 seconds but over weeks I gradually increased as it stretched out. It's a slow process but it does work!
 
Back
Top Bottom