Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sooz Bionic Knee Journey

You are an inspiration. It's wonderful when your knees gently let you know they need a little TLC, but then respond quickly. Mine have always been good-tempered that way, too, bouncing back quickly after small setbacks. Such good-natured knees allow us to start some things earlier than others can, like going back to work. It's a blessing and also a kind of a trap, because it's easy to think we're more healed than maybe we are. And of course our knees will remind us if we cross any lines. Sounds like you and your knees are coming along just great!
 
@nensi You must remember you had both of your knees done! I agree that my recovery has been most amazing, an answer to prayer. September 11th I will begin all over again, so add this next 6 weeks to the 7 weeks I am now! At your 13 weeks, you will be running circles around me! I am totally amazes you can drive already, when I do my right one I may not be able to drive til week 6! Your walks around the block totally amaze me also! I try walking and my right knee hurts so bad I have to stop!!!! Dale is right here getting some lovin! And I think superwoman status is for all of you bilats!
 
Once again I am too late smart... first time in the big pool, swam a couple laps, felt good, treaded water a couple laps, just walked around. It felt soooo good! Well let me tell you at 3 am when I would like to be sleeping it doesn't feel so great. Lying here listening to storms moving in, waiting for meds to kick in...
 
@sooz58, easy there girl, no superwoman here - gave that up loooooooooong time ago!
We'll be here for ya when you start on number 2! Say goodbye to that arthritis pain !
Just think of all the wisdom you have gathered through number 1.
And if you could use some virtual cheering up, I have tons of Suzy cat pics to share...
 
Yup, feel good, do more, pay for it later, repeat!!! We've all done that. I'll bet it felt good to be in the water though.
 
Eeewwww, that was a lot of resistance for a new knee. I'm an avid swimmer (15-20 laps a day) and I found it difficult at 7 months post op. There wasn't a lot of pain at 7 months, I was just very tired and found that it felt as if I didn't know how to kick and stroke at the same time. I started with just 3-4 laps and worked my way up over a month. My OS wanted me to be careful with what type of kicking I did also.

The water provides that weightlessness that feels good for our joints, but also a natural resistance which can prove problematic for a new knee. Next time you get back in the pool, keep yourself to a short period of time and choose one activity, either, swimming, treading or walking. All three this early is probably too much for a new knee.

I hope you were able to get a handle on the pain though.
 
Wow @sooz58, you are already back to work! It's probably in your thread but what do you do? I've been loving the pool but you can easily overdo it. I've found it's great for walking, forward and backward. I use a belt, get in the deep end and can do my pedaling. I can pretty much imitate much of my PT routine in the water.

I had my knees done 10 weeks apart. I had two really good weeks between the two. Because of my job I couldn't go back to work between them as I travel each week for work. Just remember you are in for the long haul. With bilaterals both are recovering on somewhat the same schedule. With staged, your initial recovery seems to last forever. That has caused some physical and emotional wear and tear on me. I just keep thinking a year from now the memories will fade and I have two good knees to conquer the world!

I can't believe you did all that driving for the reunion, you go girl. That made me tired reading about it! Be careful!:loveshwr:
 
@nensi always love your Suzy pics! And you are sooo right about gaining the wisdom of having one done, but you bilats are the ones who impress me!! You are the Superwomen!!!!:mooncat:

@kmak81230 that water sure did feel wonderful! Just have to control myself, which shouldn't be too hard after a sleep deprived night reminder!:swim:

@KarriB I initially told myself 15 minutes and maybe just walking, that water felt sooo good next thing I knew I did a lap swimming, then another, then just treading, before I knew it 30 minutes had rushed by... pre-surgery I swam 3 times a week for 45 minutes of laps. I should have medicated or iced before bed... I did get a few hours in sleeping, just not real quality ones! Not feeling too bad this morning, stiff and achy but I feel that every morning, not quite sure if I should get up and move or if rigarmortis (sp?) has settled in and I should phone the undertaker...:dead:

@becticu I am a church office manager, between Memorial Day (end of May) and Labor Day (beginning of September) I only work half hours (20 per week). As office manager I basically do most everything for them, I handle their finances, all office work, Sunday worship preparations, programming music into the computer, ordering supplies, minister to people who come into my office. A little secret a church office worker does not get time off!!!! I had everything (except finances) done ahead for 3 weeks when I had my surgery. I have things set up, so I can access my office computer from where ever I am. So yes at week 2 I was already doing some of my work from home, but it was week 3 that I started to come into the office for an hour here or there. Yesterday in the office, was one of those days I wanted to crawl under my desk and pretend I wasn't here, we have 3 funeral/memorial services within 4 days (beginning today)! And yes there are times I wish I could just leave it all to someone else, but I know I am doing what God would have me do. I keep thinking as you do that next year I will be able to enjoy having pain free knees! I have to keep that in my minds sight. I really don't mind driving, it was just being exhausted from the weekend that I really didn't want to drive home, you do what you gotta do. My 12 year old grandson rode home with he, he told me he would ride with me to keep me safe. He has such a big heart! My one and only grandchild, I tell him he's my favorite all the time. I like being independent, and I know getting my righty done I will not be able to drive near as early, it's probably the one thing I am not looking forward to... depending on others, not my strong suit!

I can't begin to express my love and thankfulness to all of you caring people in this group. It is so nice to be able to have a place to whine a bit about things, to boast a bit on our accomplishments no matter how small, encourage each other and just commiserate. Love, Hugs & Prayers to you all!:roseshwr:
 
I do 40-45 minutes 4 days a week during the summer season. I cannot seem to tolerate the chlorine filled air found with indoor pools. You'll get back to your laps, maybe just not this month. How are you feeling today?
 
Knees are just a bit more stiff, feeling a couple of muscles I haven't used recently. But boy my tummy isn't feeling so swell, thinking I picked up something I really don't want!
 
Och, Sooz, no fun - bad stomach mojo can really get you down. I've noticed that I have been slacking off on my water consumption the past few days. It is hard, paying attention to so much, must be so for you as well, juggling your work responsibilities. At this point, I can't really get my head around it. A colleague is coming tomorrow to discuss some floor plan changes tomorrow from 10-12; I'll probably need a nap afterwards.
Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
 
Oh no, Sooz, I hope it's nothing wrong with your tummy than just a little food disagreeing with it.
 
Hope you are feeling better Sooz! I went through a period of tummy ills too ( related to the Tylenol3) and it was no fun!
 
Hmmm...can't imagine why you were just a bit stiff this morning Sooz! You're a better woman than I am Gunga Din, 'cuz I'd have stayed home, lol.
 
Oh no, not the stomach too? Hope it's completely better in the morning Sooz!
 
Tummy woes are gone.... sooo because I have been feeling so wiped out lately, this intelligent woman, says yes I will add an iron tablet to build up my iron before next surgery, not thinking about the constipation thing.... Needless to say, prunes are my new best friend, and yes I feel sooooooooo much better this morning... LOL very relieved in more ways than one! (Really wished there was an emoji sitting on a pot!!!)
 
Yeah for feeling better! We do need a little pot-sitting, throne sliding emoji . . . Prunes are my go to fix - some don't like them but I do - just not prune juice.
 
Hope those iron tablets treat you well. Remember there are foods, too, that give you lots of iron, like Cheerios. :smile2:

Prunes are great. I like them just as snacks sometimes.
 
After a long day at rehab due to the many (welcome) breaks, I joined DH who had been at the spa and did about 30 min (total) of underwater walking. It is a weird sensation. (clonking sensation seems to be more or I am concentrated more on my knee) I slept ok but this morning the act of sitting down hurt. Better again. It feels like that tight clamp feeling increased overnight. Lots of zingers too. I too used to swim a lot way back when. Miss that sport dearly.
 
Back
Top Bottom