TKR Sooz Bionic Knee Journey

Good Morning Bonesmarties!!! As I was resting pre-sleep last evening, thoughts whirling through my head, my new knee's name came to me, Lefty Lucy and a bit later the name for my new righty will be Righty Rachel. Thankfully Lucy is finally having loads of fun doing pt in the pool and swimming laps.:swim: Lucy was 10 weeks old yesterday, and in three weeks I will be meeting Rachel. I certainly hope these two get along and the three of us can have loads of fun in the future!:friends:
 
Hahaha, I'm sure Lucy & Rachel will become the best of friends.....eventually![emoji79]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Super Major ODIC this evening..... oh my welcoming ice and elevating!!!!! a conglomeration of doing everything! swimming, biking, sitting too long in one spot, sorting files, cleaning up the yard, some trimming, when I was standing washing dishes i must have had my knees locked, now I can hardly move... the last 3 days too much Been preparing for round 2 and the realization it is only 2 1/2 weeks away! resting resting resting
ODIC party?!
 
I see you are going for round 2. Careful with the ODIC I see and hear it is no fun. How are you today? We are not far from each other in the Sept TKR.
 
There's a fine line between "a little too much" and "way too much." We only find out where that line is by pushing our limits now and then. Maybe now that you know where the line is, you can stay on the less painful side of it until your surgery date. :praying: After all, you want your left knee to be in tip top shape so it can help out with the new one.
 
Hi @Teri59, I think every once in awhile you enter the ODIC club as a reminder!!!!! Things are going well, have been in the pool a few times each week and things are coming along, feeling stronger every day! I am up in Warren County, PA probably due north from you! I am actually looking forward to round 2, too much bone on bone in righty Rachel, can't do a lot of walking before she complains. Lefty Lucy is mostly happy but wakes up a bit stiff at times. Anxious to be able to walk pain free!!!! Hope all goes well for you, one week after me, we will be able to encourage one another through our healing!!!! :angel:
@SusieShoes I have been gently encouraging lefty Lucy to take charge!!! Sometimes she even takes over without encouragement going down steps!!!! So ready to be over the pain in righty Rachel!:console2:
 
Wow, Sooz, you've been doing a LOT! I will echo what SusieShoes said. You DO want Lefty Lucy to be in fighting form for the *takeover* soon. Try your best to stay out of the ODIC, ok?
 
Oh, it's also great to have a surgical *twin* in Teri59! Wishing the best for both of you!
 
Thank you Ladies!! @sooz58 I am glad to hear that you are doing better. Yes do stay out of the ODIC club.
That one seems to be a downer:groan:. I so agree about walking pain free again.
 
OS's pa app't today and app't with anesthesiologist for righty Rachel today! All things are a go! They said I am in good shape for the shape I'm in! Had a talk about insurance companies turning down approvals for high BMI, makes me angry that insurance companies can and do mettle in peoples lives. I will put it out there my BMI is currently 51.2. I am active and had my left knee done and I think I had a wonderful recovery, if I was turned down due to my BMI, I would be so angry. How do they expect you to get your BMI down if you can't hardly move. On Monday I will be 1 week before Righty gets done and 12 weeks recovery for Lefty on Tuesday. I can't wait to get this behind me and continue my road to becoming the healthiest I can be!
 
1 week from today, Rachel will join Lucy and I! Last Friday, met with Os's PA everything is scheduled. Due to OS's office group being in contract talks with one of the major hospitals, I will be going to a different one than did my first knee. I was fine with t his until the pa told me they do things differently there... so they don't do the femoral (sp?) block as I had before. I will tell you that I never had a moment of horrid pain with my 1st knee, now I am full of anxiety about this. The pa said OS gives a shot... I just want this week over with....
 
On the other side x2... Much more pain this time, feeling out of it....
 
Welcome to recovery again, Sooz.

I'm sorry you're in pain. Do make sure that they give you your pain relief regularly and on time.

I know it's only been a little while, but here are the recovery articles again, as a refresher:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
(((Sooz))) Thinking of you! I'm really sorry to hear you're in pain. Hopefully they will get this under control quickly. Please keep us updated, eh? :elevate:
 
Glad to find you here on the other side, but sorry to hear you're in pain. Hope you feel better soon and Rachel proves her worth.
 
Welcome to recovery Sooz!! We're all here ready to support you and welcome Rachel. I sure hope you get your pain managed soon. :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sooz Bionic Knee Journey Hey @sooz58 here's a silly Suzy cat pic to cheer you on. She is a pro at resting and I am sure with rest and getting your pain meds settled - you will be too.
 
Back
Top Bottom