TKR Sooz Bionic Knee Journey

Hello, @sooz58,
I just want to say welcome back. You've bravely gotten your second knee done, and you will soon be feeling better. Remember--you know what to do! Praying that your pain will be short-lived, and that you will see encouraging signs of recovery to cheer you on.
 
Day 2, I must say this hospital care sucks! Evening's are a nightmare! Pain meds are late evenings, then nothing until this morning, pitched a fit last evening, talked to Dr this morning, not near as mobile as last time, staying another day and possibly rehab....
 
No pain meds all night? I hope your doctor tears into them, because you need those meds. Did you use the call button? Maybe if you annoy them enough they will give you your pills. Hmmphhh.

Please don't compare Rachel to Lucy. It's possible, as with childbirth, that we smooth over those early days in our memories, and Rachel is doing just as well. And even if she isn't... she's a bright girl and will get the hang of this knee thing soon. Rehab or home, you'll be rid of that wretched hospital!
 
@sooz58, do you have someone there who can advocate for you, a family member? The squeaky wheel DOES get the grease and if you have to stay there another night perhaps someone can stay with you to ensure you get the very necessary pain meds! If not, I wouldn't take my finger off that Call Button! I'm really sorry to hear how rough this has been so far. Frankly, in your shoes, (and I'm not and it's just my quirk) I wouldn't go to Rehab. I'd go home, ASAP, where you know exactly what to do, your meds are available as prescribed, and where the germs are significantly less. I really hope your day improves rapidly!:fingersx:
 
On my way home, finally! Feel strong enough today! Tuesday night I pitched a fit when I hadn't had pain meds for awhile again. Happened again during the day today! Freaking ticks me off, it was unbelievable! I always figured this hospital was the most major one, I guess being bought out certainly doesn't make you better! UPMC fail! I have the private number for the director..,
 
Phew, so glad to hear you are home and out of there! I have a friend who was Director of Nursing there for over 20 years and at that time, it was one of the better medical facilities in the country. But, that was then, over 10 years ago, and this is now. Buyouts definitely do not equal better; aargggh!

Are you home alone or at your Mom's again? Either way, I hope you have some company, but if not, you certainly know what to do, eh? Wishing you the most comfortable afternoon and evening possible under the circumstances!:friends:
 
Thank goodness you're home and will now have control over your pain meds. And your elevation. And your icing. Control is a beautiful thing. I'm sure you'll use yours wisely.

Buy-outs are purely financial decisions, and certainly don't always result in better care. Pain control is so important to early recovery! I hope you use that private number to good effect and give someone an earful. Better yet would be if your OS would do so. One thing for sure, you are better off at home.
 
Oh my, Sooz58, please let many someones know how you were treating at that hospital. It's uncalled for. Now, at home you can control your needs! You're in the best place!
 
Exhaustion today, trying to get settled into mom's! Was horribly constipated at hospital, finally not so much so, hemorrhoids feeling a bit shredded, ugh! Mom is taking good care of me! Feels good to be in control of my meds and getting them on time! Running to the potty on the hour keeps me mobile whether I want to be or not! Mentally feel a bit more down and out. Physically feel totally wiped out all the time! Resting, icing and elevating, think this is what my bonesmarties have ordered! Love you guys!
 
@sooz58 Hope your recovery for your right knee goes smoothly :-) Am sorry about you not getting your meds on time in the hospital. I would have been pushing the call button and giving the nursing staff a piece of my mind. I sure would give the hospital a bad review for med control. My hospital which is small was very good and on top of meds.
 
@sooz58 So glad you're home and finding your rhythm with meds, icing, elevation, etc. Rest, rest, and more rest is what life's all about at your stage of the game.
 
Wow! I'm glad your home and can now rest, ice, elevate and medicate on time! Which UPMC were you in?
 
Sending ((hugs)) and best wishes for a more restful and pain free experience over the next few days. Let your mom pamper you!
 
@KarriB Upmc Hamot. Bp headache today,adding my bp pill back in today after checking It, it always drops out for a few days following surgery. I want to feel the positivity I felt with lefty, not feeling It, need to remember feelings are fleeting, keep a hold of the here and now! Trying to concentrate and go back and see what was going on with lefty... thanks for the love and care
 
Concentration...ugh! At this point just give in to the sleep as much as possible. Have you managed to get your pain under control?

My RTKR and infection surgery was at UPMC Passavant. It was a great experience for me, but because I have PPO Blue insurance I can't go to that hospital again.
 
I wish I felt all positive, hopeful and ready to take on life. Right now I'm tired of recovery, I'm tired of anxiety, I'm tired of trying. I put an app on my phone to make sure get my meds on time, so I am not getting behind one them. My BP went up yesterday, head aches, anxiety moved in. Neck area back aches.
 
Recovery gets real old, and for someone with a staged knee like you it gets real old even when -- maybe especially when -- it's also very new for that second knee. Karri's right, just go with the flow, rest, don't try to predict this or suss it out. The knee knows what to do and the knee will appreciate it very much if you take your pain meds and sleep a lot.

I hope your headache goes away, and your neck and neck aches too, and you feel better soon. :mcoffee: Lefty will come around in his own sweet time.
 
Glad you are out of hospital and under your Mom's good care. I am glad to hear you have an app on your phone for Meds. Stay ahead of that pain! You know the drill with the ice and elevation. Just come here to vent when you need to. We are here for you!
 
Thank God you are home and your mom's your caregiver. Can anyone get a better caregiver?!

That old arthritis pain, that would only have gotten worse, is now gone! Your knee now will continue to get less painful as time goes on. It's all up and up for now on!
 
Right now I'm tired of recovery,
Ah, Sooz, this is a song that most of us who have done the staged approach have sung. I'm now approaching 7 weeks out on the newer knee and can finally appreciate the progress I've made but those first weeks were rough emotionally. Posting and reading on BS helped immensely. I also really plunged into streaming video and bingewatching various shows to help the sedentary healing time pass more easily.
 
Back
Top Bottom